What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

I did have a sacrificial car…. It was the punto I sacrificed on a deer in September 2021, well all know how unsafe the punto is if you listen to NCAP, putting my child in that death trap now…

Back in the 80s my mum had a Datsun Cherry. She once parked it nose in ouside a row of shops next to, you guessed it another red Datsun Cherry. 10 Minutes later when she came back to the car me and my brother watched amused as she spent 5 minutes trying to get into this other car confused that her key wasn’t working and ignoring the fact when she got out of the car there were two children in the car, something now absent from the car she was now trying to get into….
Mentioned before on Forum, but working at one garage, the boss chucked keys for a Triumph 2000 to a body shop bloke to do some paintwork and told him the car was in the pub car park next door, some hours later we noticed car still there so rang him and he said he was working on it , we said no you are not! He returned the car quickly and we never heard if the second Triumph owner wondered where the extra 20 miles had come from on his speedo. :)

I did have a sacrificial car…. It was the punto I sacrificed on a deer in September 2021, well all know how unsafe the punto is if you listen to NCAP, putting my child in that death trap now…

I would say it's debatable as to how far it was a "death trap".

It got 0 stars mainly for a lack of development over time and decontenting of the newer cars, seem to remember they removed side airbags in later cars that your Evo would have had.

Even the most basic car is required to have all sorts of stuff just to get anywhere near 3 stars. I mean ours is like maybe about 4th on the cheapest new car you can buy in the UK list in its most basic form. But even in that form it still has side airbags, traction control, seat belt warnings, lane departure warning, traffic sign recognition etc. Etc. If it didn't Ncap would absolutely stick the boot in.

But only the airbags would actually matter if you got t-boned by a Range Rover. Yes you don't want a flaky car with an unstable structure but beyond that how much the mainly bong bong based safety systems add is dependent on if they work and whether or not the go off so often you don't pay any attention.

I would say it's debatable as to how far it was a "death trap".
I was being semi sarcastic, my point was really that I sacrificed my sacrificial car already.

Honestly though while the Evo came out in 2010 it was build to 2004/5 standards so safety wise it was very behind the times, even back then it was well behind the likes of Renault.

They did try and improve its safety by throwing in an extra knee airbag in the Evo and redesigning the dash to make it less angular and made of softer materials but really that was about it.

The problem is that fiat don’t care much about safety, yes they want something that looks good on paper when it’s first launched, they build a car to pass a specific test however when the test changes the cars don’t hold up. Time and time again they have withdrawn cars from sale when the poor safety standards become highlighted many years later, when the world moved on but fiat sat still.

The Seicento, the Punto, Panda, 500 all cars where poor safety has been highlighted, with at least two of those being discontinued specifically because of poor safety ratings

Other European car makers are obsessed with safety especially the French. Germany make cars that will do well and last reasonably well I wouldn’t say they are famed for their safety but they have a reliable reputation. Volvo design a car that passes tests no one is doing.

I don’t think I’m too far wrong to suggest fiat crash test a car, see what NCAP requires and if the test is below what the NCAP test expect, they probably send in a bloke with a welding place to strengthen up that bit of metal for the next test, till it’s good enough for a pass.

By notification do you mean email, push alert or just the number by the bell icon up top?
I've found similar, only notified if someone quotes or likes a post, no other bell notification.
I turned off all the emails, and that seems to have broken it, but dont want the emails back on.

I was being semi sarcastic, my point was really that I sacrificed my sacrificial car already.

Honestly though while the Evo came out in 2010 it was build to 2004/5 standards so safety wise it was very behind the times, even back then it was well behind the likes of Renault.

They did try and improve its safety by throwing in an extra knee airbag in the Evo and redesigning the dash to make it less angular and made of softer materials but really that was about it.

The problem is that fiat don’t care much about safety, yes they want something that looks good on paper when it’s first launched, they build a car to pass a specific test however when the test changes the cars don’t hold up. Time and time again they have withdrawn cars from sale when the poor safety standards become highlighted many years later, when the world moved on but fiat sat still.

The Seicento, the Punto, Panda, 500 all cars where poor safety has been highlighted, with at least two of those being discontinued specifically because of poor safety ratings

Other European car makers are obsessed with safety especially the French. Germany make cars that will do well and last reasonably well I wouldn’t say they are famed for their safety but they have a reliable reputation. Volvo design a car that passes tests no one is doing.

I don’t think I’m too far wrong to suggest fiat crash test a car, see what NCAP requires and if the test is below what the NCAP test expect, they probably send in a bloke with a welding place to strengthen up that bit of metal for the next test, till it’s good enough for a pass.
Hmm.

If you look at the behaviour of Renault and their offshoot Dacia in recent years then it's more like they were ahead of the curve. I'm always mildly vexed by comparisons between the C3 and the Sandero.. yes the Sandero is slightly cheaper...and if you have a side impact with an SUV you'll appreciate all the money you saved as your head contacts the front grille of it due to no curtain airbags. Also quietly stopping fitting side bags to the Zoe.

There's quite a few manufacturers who have decided that bare minimum is all that's needed, if it's cheap it doesn't need to be proper car apparently.

Edit...it would appear they fit them these days. But still only manage 2 stars..

Last edited:
I'm turning 67 next week. I had a mini-physical two weeks ago and my doc recommended I get a Cardiac Calcium Scan because of my age and having to deal with diabetes along with high cholesterol for the last couple decades. Sort of an MRI for the ticker.
The results of the scan are scored like golf, the lower the better. Because my resting pulse is under sixty, my blood pressure is good, and I passed a recent EKG with flying colors, my doc figured my score would be in the neighborhood of 300.
Man, I should have bet against him. My freaking score was 1200. Which means I may be a candidate for a quadruple bypass.
What I do know for sure is that I suddenly have several 'ologists' I have to meet with because I didn't know I had a problem. I also get to navigate the swamp known as the US health care system. 🤮

That part alone makes me wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.

I'm turning 67 next week. I had a mini-physical two weeks ago and my doc recommended I get a Cardiac Calcium Scan because of my age and having to deal with diabetes along with high cholesterol for the last couple decades. Sort of an MRI for the ticker.
The results of the scan are scored like golf, the lower the better. Because my resting pulse is under sixty, my blood pressure is good, and I passed a recent EKG with flying colors, my doc figured my score would be in the neighborhood of 300.
Man, I should have bet against him. My freaking score was 1200. Which means I may be a candidate for a quadruple bypass.
What I do know for sure is that I suddenly have several 'ologists' I have to meet with because I didn't know I had a problem. I also get to navigate the swamp known as the US health care system. 🤮

Look on the bright side, all the holidays you will be paying for in the health profession ;).
Some years ago I took one of my daughters to the Doctor, when he had finished with her, he looked at me and asked when I had last had my blood pressure checked, I replied when I had my tonsils out at 21(I am now 70) he hooked me up and found it to be 160 over something? Apparently not to good, luckily by cutting out salt, apart from a small amount of proper sea salt my BP is now OK for my age. As my dad died at 48 I figure it is all a bonus.
Anyway I am sure we all wish you the best of health for the future:)

I'm so sorry to hear of the outcome of your test. Those figures sound quite scary, especially when you don't have a deep knowledge of what they mean. I'm ten years ahead of you in the age stakes and nearly every time I see my doc he decides he wants something else tested. I've been on a watching regime for my prostate for a number of years following an inconclusive biopsy and it makes the stomach flutter a little if an elevated number comes back. The latest one is that he wants me to have a colonoscopy following on from the delightful experience of a physical examination on his surgery couch. The encouraging thing is that this sort of thing's been happening to me for over 10 years now and I'm still here and still working on my various mechanical distractions. Oh, and going for at least an hour's walk most days, so doing pretty well so far.

I wish you all the best and hope for a good outcome. I know, from my daughter and her family who lived in Southern Maryland for 5 years and my sister who lives about 2 hours west of Boston, that your health system seems to be all about what level of insurance you have but our NHS over here is pretty shaky just now with very long waits for anything not seriously life threatening and even then it's still a bit of a lottery I think. Mrs J was recently quoted 78 weeks wait to get her cataracts corrected (original op went wrong). I have a small and limited private insurance and found it would cover her for treatment, she was seen at a private hospital by the consultant within the week and operated on before the end of the month. Whether her sight could have been saved after a 78 week delay I think is probably very doubtful? and of course she wouldn't have been able to use the car during that period.

I'm so sorry to hear of the outcome of your test. Those figures sound quite scary, especially when you don't have a deep knowledge of what they mean. I'm ten years ahead of you in the age stakes and nearly every time I see my doc he decides he wants something else tested. I've been on a watching regime for my prostate for a number of years following an inconclusive biopsy and it makes the stomach flutter a little if an elevated number comes back. The latest one is that he wants me to have a colonoscopy following on from the delightful experience of a physical examination on his surgery couch. The encouraging thing is that this sort of thing's been happening to me for over 10 years now and I'm still here and still working on my various mechanical distractions. Oh, and going for at least an hour's walk most days, so doing pretty well so far.

I wish you all the best and hope for a good outcome. I know, from my daughter and her family who lived in Southern Maryland for 5 years and my sister who lives about 2 hours west of Boston, that your health system seems to be all about what level of insurance you have but our NHS over here is pretty shaky just now with very long waits for anything not seriously life threatening and even then it's still a bit of a lottery I think. Mrs J was recently quoted 78 weeks wait to get her cataracts corrected (original op went wrong). I have a small and limited private insurance and found it would cover her for treatment, she was seen at a private hospital by the consultant within the week and operated on before the end of the month. Whether her sight could have been saved after a 78 week delay I think is probably very doubtful? and of course she wouldn't have been able to use the car during that period.
A few years ago I had to be rushed to hospital due to my appendix, before the op a Doctor came over and did a prostate examination on me, one of my daughters was standing near by, her comment was "You are not a virgin anymore now!" She shares my warped sense of humour.;)

A few years ago I had to be rushed to hospital due to my appendix, before the op a Doctor came over and did a prostate examination on me, one of my daughters was standing near by, her comment was "You are not a virgin anymore now!" She shares my warped sense of humour.;)
sort of humour that makes me laugh too!

The bad results were a surprise because I am still active.

Unless it's pissing down or below 10F, I walk a mile to a mile and a half every morning with Buster dog. With a dog that has to sniff anything and everything, that can take an hour or more. I've been roller skating with my 6 yo grandson every Friday evening since the first of the year. He's better than I ever was, but after several years off from the sport, I've been getting my moves back. The last two weeks have seen me competing with the teenagers in the Friday night races. I get my ass handed to me on a platter but I'm not winded at the finish. Hell, I wasn't even last in the last race.

I still cycle, though nowhere what I did in my 30's and 40's. I quit long distance and 24 hour racing when it stopped being fun. It went on a serious cutback after I got hit by a car but have been adding miles again the last few years. I also stopped doing invitational group rides when they became less social and more about setting a PB. About the only group ride I'll do anymore is the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour in Minnesota. www.3speedtour.com I'm building a new old Raleigh for this year. ;)

I just had brunch with my old boss and a coworker this morning and heard all the horror stories about the new health insurance they have through work. It makes me glad that I have Medicare coverage now. I paid into it for over 50 years, I'm gonna use it. Health insurance was cheap and good in the US 30 years ago, until someone decided it should be 'for profit'. That's worked out for no one but the suits and the shareholders. For you guys, when someone says the NHS should be for profit, punch them in the mouth.

Boy I understand, and my cross was just a kidney. I thankfully have a spare which is working. Its probably worth making all these new friends they will certainly broaden your outlook! My daughters best friends dad had the big op 2 years ago. He is now fine and able to see he wasnt actually as good as he thought before. I hope you can get sorted properly without the sort of delays we have in the UK.

Last edited:
Because my resting pulse is under sixty, my blood pressure is good, and I passed a recent EKG with flying colors,
This is because you are so active, by keeping active your heart beats as it should.

my doc figured my score would be in the neighborhood of 300.
I’m gonna suggest if he thought this would be your score then he already thought you were at a fairly high risk of coronary artery disease. Depending on the scale 300 is high to severe risk.
What I do know for sure is that I suddenly have several 'ologists' I have to meet with because I didn't know I had a problem.
this is probably again all your fault for being so active and health, you’ve probably masked problems that other people of your age would have picked up with chest pains and shortness of breath ages Ago. The reason for doing this particular test is to assess the risks in otherwise seemingly healthy persons who might need advice on lifestyle to minimise the risks of symptoms developing later on. In some respects you’re lucky you’ve got a thorough doctor.

I also get to navigate the swamp known as the US health care system. 🤮
They’ll be very happy to do anything and everything for your as long as your insurance will cover the cost. I must admit it’s still largely alien the American health care concept over here in the UK but I know even with very good insurance you can still end up with a very sizeable bill.
For you guys, when someone says the NHS should be for profit, punch them in the mouth.
most of us appreciate it but sadly there are still people of the attitude that the system is broken, these are often the same people who would be completely destroyed if they actually had to pay the bill for the treatment they receive.

our health secretary (head politician in charge of the health service) Jeremy Hunt wanted to move to a U.S. system and completely stripped money out of the NHS with the intention of creating failure and pushing people to turn against the NHS, thankfully this didn’t work and his plan further destroyed by covid and the overwhelming need for the NHS, but unfortunately this man is now in charge of the country’s budget, so i suspect he’ll attack the NHS again through the budget before long, probably blame the failures in the workers wanting to be paid properly taking money away from patients.

The system is pretty broken, or more correctly overwhelmed through lack of resources and it requires proper funding. It has however saved my life recently along with a lot of others and we need to support it t the max as you say. It hugely better than a private system for anyone who has had 'a thing' or lots of 'things' insurance costs are off the scale expensive, so I agree with the sentiments on those that suggest we change. The only thing I can get insured used to be my toe nails and I suspect I couldnt get cover on them now.

My son lives in the US and he has fairly comprehensive cover. He and his wife are higher end 30's but the bill for this cover is incredible. Its thousands a month. Hes liable for quite a slab of cost before cover cuts in as well. Having to choose a level of cover is a quite a disgusting prospect, as is being turned away for lack of insurance!

our health secretary (head politician in charge of the health service) Jeremy Hunt wanted to move to a U.S. system and completely stripped money out of the NHS with the intention of creating failure and pushing people to turn against the NHS, thankfully this didn’t work and his plan further destroyed by covid and the overwhelming need for the NHS, but unfortunately this man is now in charge of the country’s budget, so i suspect he’ll attack the NHS again through the budget before long, probably blame the failures in the workers wanting to be paid properly taking money away from patients.
So the £50 + billion we will still be paying off in the 2030s from Tony Blair's failed PFI scheme had nothing to do with NHS problems?
Basically most politicians couldn't run a tap, so what ever political persuasion, they are they all take guidance from the Civil Servants, who manage to keep their heads below the parapet whilst the media shoot the Government Ministers at the helm. So who are the clever ones? ;)

Back