What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

well they say doctors are included but that only applies to the consultants, the “junior” doctors the ones who do all the grunt work and the ones the patients usually see the most of, are getting as much as the nurses.... that is diddly

People don't know what Junior doctors are, they think they are students learning. they do not know Junior doctors are "all" doctors who are no gp's or consultants. The Junior need to be dropped from their title imo

Labour simply pour money into the bottomless pit so the front line staff never see any improvement. Conservatives try to limit the costs so the the front line staff never see any improvement.

NHS should be taken out of government control. It should also be separated into regional authorities. What works in London may or may not work in Birmingham or Manchester. It will certainly not be appropriate for somewhere like Somerset, Devon or Cornwall. East Midlands will be different again. South Wales and North Wales are different.

I have quite a few conservative friends who have decent jobs with healthcare included. They are always saying how we should get rid of the NHS as it's outdated and a model based on the population in the 1940's. True, but my brother lives in the USA. He is self employed, married with two kids and his healthcare is over double what his mortgage repayments are! He's got a nice gaff too!

UK has an expensive healthcare system constantly interfered with by politics and loaded down with civil service costs and methods. It cannot move quickly when the unexpected happens and it clearly can't get back to normal when the worst of that situation ha passed. People are still waiting for new hips, and cancer treatments. This is just unacceptable yet we British just accept it.
No system is perfect but replacing the NHS (one size fits all rationed by waiting lists) with the US model is a false dichotomy. Germany has an insurance backed health service which handled Covid far better than UK and the German people are happy with the health care they get.

It's also a false dichotomy to compare USA mortgage costs with UK. Over there, house prices are allowed to rise and fall so they find their natural level. Over here, a house is seen as an investment so costs never fall and the young are priced out of the market.

The average American house is three times the size of a British house. Comparing size for size, US houses are far cheaper than UK houses.

Made me grumpy yesterday actually, grumpiness wearing off today. It involved my daughter in law's Jazz and was as we were loading it up for them to have a few days away yesterday. My boy threw the keys at me and said "can you put the Moses basket and those two large holdalls in the boot Dad?" Amazing how much "stuff" you can get in a Jazz. Well, the blipper didn't work - little red led on the key didn't flash either - then I realized it's the spare key so maybe the battery is flat. Never mind, I'll just use the key manually, but no! The key only goes so far, maybe half way, into the lock and stops.

So I parked the Moses basket on the roof and went back into the house to get the other key. Asked my boy about the lock to which he replied " Oh yes Dad, been meaning to mention that to you for some time, there's a lolly stick broken off in the lock!" My 7 year old granddaughter did it about a couple of months ago! - And now he's telling me?!!!

Some of you may have read in another post that I did a big service on this car last Friday because it was slightly overdue and in preparation for this trip. It turned out it also needed front discs and pads and a wee bit of general additional "fettling" (it is 12 years old). So, although I lubricated the lock when I was going round the hinges etc, I didn't actually put the key in and operate the lock a few times as I normally would, because I was running out of time. Had my boy told me about the lolly stick I think there is a chance I might have got it out. Now however it's been squirted with light lube oil and then chased down the bottom of the hole with the key. The oil will have swollen the wood nicely and I can imagine getting it out is going to involve comprehensive stripping down!

So they set off for Devon around midday with only one key working the remote locking and no chance of manually unlocking the door with the key - unfortunately there is only the one lock, none on the passenger side and none on the boot! So if the battery in that one key fails with the door locked it's game over! I suggested they might like to do toilet trips in relays and not lock the car up on the journey and get new batteries for both keys ASAP.

Kids, AAAAAAhrrr!

PS. Just got a 'phone call to say they made it safely and he's going to see about the batteries this afternoon.

Last edited:
" Oh yes Dad, been meaning to mention that to you for some time, there's a lolly stick broken off in the lock!" My 7 year old granddaughter did it about a couple of months ago! - And now he's telling me?!!!

It always makes me grumpy when things are not mentioned until much later. Do they really think it might fix itself if left alone?
A few years ago, while housebound due to a broken arm, my partner managed to lose her mobile phone. Didn't think to mention it until a week later, by which time the battery will have gone flat, so no chance of calling it and following the ringing.
Searched everywhere she'd been, all clothing worn, all cupboards and drawers etc. It has never turned up. My guess is it went into a wheelie bin. If called the same day would have been rescuable, but bin emptied before loss reported.

It is like being told, "its been making that noise for some time" when you're looking at a big repair when first sign of the noise wouold have been a quick and easy fix.

Thank you, I feel better now.

I followed a car back from work.. 22:40 on a weekday..

It was one of those vehicles bought by people who dont like driving.. Nissan minimpv type thing..
So I had low expectations..

After seeing painful progress at a junction I thought I would 'give it a while'

It ..and the car following it.. had a minutes head start :)

I caught the Almera Tino'alike in 1/4 of a mile halfway around a bend..still braking

Progress was predictably slow.. nevermind after the next tight bend there is a reasonable straight.. then into a 30and humpbacked bridge

Around the bend at 15 mph.. still braking

Im looking past it.. nothing approaching :)

They then floored it to 45..

And braked to 20 well short of the limit.. by which time I couldnt see because of humped bridge

This slow slow quick quick slow continued
For another 15 mins

Got into my town.. they braked down to 10 mph at a right turn junction.. but didnt turn..!!

1/2 mile later.. halfway around a roundabout they actually indicated

For the entire journey I could see their route on their phone..
Obviously placed between their eyes and the bonnet.

I was glad to stop and collect my luggage :eek:

I suggested they might like to do toilet trips in relays and not lock the car up on the journey and get new batteries for both keys ASAP.

Good news on the key battery front. He went to the local Honda main agent down there in Barnstaple who replaced the batteries for £4.00 per key, which I thought was very reasonable for a main dealer. Not only that but the chap doing the job asked my boy how long it had been since the spare key had been used and explained that if it had been some time the key might require reprogramming. He insisted on going out to the car and testing both keys operated correctly. Impressive customer relations there I think.

If my daughter in law is serious about getting another car I'm thinking I might just leave the lock as it is!

If my daughter in law is serious about getting another car I'm thinking I might just leave the lock as it is!

There is a video doing the rounds on social media, might be relevant to you, they show how to use a glue stick to remove a broken key from a lock, basically they melt the end of a glue stick (as used in a hot glue gun) then press the melted end to the lock, they wait for it to cool and harden then as the glue sticks to the broken key piece the glue stick is pulled taking the broken key piece out of the lock,

This would almost certainly work for a lolly stick but it depends if the lock has a little door on it that has closed over the piece.

Thanks Andy I'll definitely give that a try. There's no little "trap door" flap that I can see but depends how much the wood has been saturated with the oil though? Might not stick? Worth a try though! I'd been thinking more along the lines of looking through my big tin of screws (accumulated over a lifetime) and trying to find a super slim one I might be able to screw into the lolly stick and pull it out?

Made me grumpy yesterday actually, grumpiness wearing off today. It involved my daughter in law's Jazz and was as we were loading it up for them to have a few days away yesterday. My boy threw the keys at me and said "can you put the Moses basket and those two large holdalls in the boot Dad?" Amazing how much "stuff" you can get in a Jazz. Well, the blipper didn't work - little red led on the key didn't flash either - then I realized it's the spare key so maybe the battery is flat. Never mind, I'll just use the key manually, but no! The key only goes so far, maybe half way, into the lock and stops.

So I parked the Moses basket on the roof and went back into the house to get the other key. Asked my boy about the lock to which he replied " Oh yes Dad, been meaning to mention that to you for some time, there's a lolly stick broken off in the lock!" My 7 year old granddaughter did it about a couple of months ago! - And now he's telling me?!!!

Some of you may have read in another post that I did a big service on this car last Friday because it was slightly overdue and in preparation for this trip. It turned out it also needed front discs and pads and a wee bit of general additional "fettling" (it is 12 years old). So, although I lubricated the lock when I was going round the hinges etc, I didn't actually put the key in and operate the lock a few times as I normally would, because I was running out of time. Had my boy told me about the lolly stick I think there is a chance I might have got it out. Now however it's been squirted with light lube oil and then chased down the bottom of the hole with the key. The oil will have swollen the wood nicely and I can imagine getting it out is going to involve comprehensive stripping down!

So they set off for Devon around midday with only one key working the remote locking and no chance of manually unlocking the door with the key - unfortunately there is only the one lock, none on the passenger side and none on the boot! So if the battery in that one key fails with the door locked it's game over! I suggested they might like to do toilet trips in relays and not lock the car up on the journey and get new batteries for both keys ASAP.

Kids, AAAAAAhrrr!

PS. Just got a 'phone call to say they made it safely and he's going to see about the batteries this afternoon.
never chuck modern keys, all little chips and circuits in them will break if you chuck them.
Never oil locks use graphite powder.

222.JPG

this 2 minute quote online. as soon as you put contact details in the first page and click next you get a phone call, its them they say they will do it on the phone then put you on hold, then someone else comes on and they take a few more details then put you on hold whilst they check a few companies to get a few quotes. and hour later I finally get my 2 minute quote.:bang:

never chuck modern keys, all little chips and circuits in them will break if you chuck them.
Never oil locks use graphite powder.
Aye Dave, I know what you are saying about oiling locks but I've always done it - using a very light oil like sewing machine oil - and never known a problem in 50 or so years of doing it? I wouldn't use something like engine oil. Isn't graphite electrically conducting? If so maybe it would have it's own risks with all the electrical/electronic stuff in modern vehicles?

I use 3in1 oil. Never had a problem.

As for kids messing you about with "jobs". They will never grow up until you stop being the safety net. They wont change until they have to deal with the effects of their laziness.

I'm always available to help, but don't do the thinking for them.

I use 3in1 oil. Never had a problem.

I just remembered, back when I was on the tools working on BMC/BL vehicles we would lube the door locks with the SU Carburetor dashpot oil - which I think was a straight SAE20 if I remember. A lot of people used engine oil, typically SAE 20/50 in those days but our boss was a stickler for this sort of thing so there was always a special dashpot oil can on the shelf at the stores counter. Compared with what went in the engine it seemed like water in consistency - nothing compared to a modern 0w20 oil I suppose though!

Aye Dave, I know what you are saying about oiling locks but I've always done it - using a very light oil like sewing machine oil - and never known a problem in 50 or so years of doing it? I wouldn't use something like engine oil. Isn't graphite electrically conducting? If so maybe it would have it's own risks with all the electrical/electronic stuff in modern vehicles?
no more conductive than the metal already in there, not aware of any electrics in the actual barrel where you put a metal key. It wont swell lolly sticks ;)

Back