What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

Do people not read or check the guidance any more ?

There is no requirement to stay at home even if you have tested positive for Covid !!

They ask that you try to stay home or at very least avoid people at increased risk from covid for 5 days, after 5 days from your test its unlikely you are contagious but if you still have symptoms of a fever you could be, therefore some people can be contagious for up to 10 days.

Guidelines are here, no reason you should have to miss significant amounts of work, or not be able to go for a walk. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/people-with-symptoms-of-a-respiratory-infection-including-covid-19

Do people not read or check the guidance any more ?

There is no requirement to stay at home even if you have tested positive for Covid !!

They ask that you try to stay home or at very least avoid people at increased risk from covid for 5 days, after 5 days from your test its unlikely you are contagious but if you still have symptoms of a fever you could be, therefore some people can be contagious for up to 10 days.

Guidelines are here, no reason you should have to miss significant amounts of work, or not be able to go for a walk. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/people-with-symptoms-of-a-respiratory-infection-including-covid-19
Whilst technically it might not be a requirement, it is still common sense and decency though.

After eating my porridge and making a couple of small posts on our forum, Mrs J asked me if I'd renew our national lottery cards. So I decided to make it a round trip and go via Tesco - to renew the cards - then on up to MacDonald road library, on the corner with Leith Walk, for a wee browse amongst the SF books and to hand back my current loan book, which I've just finished "The Massacre Of Mankind" by Stephen Baxter. It's a follow on from HG Wells "War of the Worlds" and it's really not a bad read at all. Probably around an hour and a half of moderate walking, just right to keep the body ticking over nicely for today - and the library has a loo, important factor at my age!

To make the walk more pleasant I did a lot of it on the converted railway footpaths, which are also shared with bicycles. In places it was quite busy with folk and dogs and in places it was nice and quiet and you could listen to the birds etc - very nice. However I was once nearly "clipped" by a speeding bicycle and several times surprised by bikes passing me very closely with absolutely no warning, gave me quite a start more than once. I do wish cycle riders would "ping" their bells as they come up behind you, but very few do so I suppose that's a forlorn hope? Shouldn't bikes, now that so many public walkways are shared by pedestrians and cyclists, incorporate some sort of audible noise? I'm thinking of a variation on the "lolly stick in the spokes" which we used to do as kids. It wouldn't need to be a very loud noise, just enough that you had warning you were about to be blitz'd by another bike.

Bikes passing pedestrians at a distance that would get you a 1k fine if you were to return the favour as a motorist does annoy me somewhat.

Personally I'll be alright the guy on bike would like come off worse, but the one who's 3 foot high and liable to take off in pretty much any direction...do not pass him at 20mph a foot away.

Luckily I have avoided Covid, mostly by being unsociable, but am still training in cars two days a week.
Early on, there were testing stations, some still exist, as I'm aware of one in Swindon and one in Oxford. But if you think you have it, how do you get to those if not allowed out? And once tested positive, how do you then keep retesting until negative? I've several tiimes looked for instructions/guidance on NHS and Gov websites, but have so far found nothing that answers my questions.
What have I missed, and where was this information?

Luckily I have avoided Covid, mostly by being unsociable, but am still training in cars two days a week.
Early on, there were testing stations, some still exist, as I'm aware of one in Swindon and one in Oxford. But if you think you have it, how do you get to those if not allowed out? And once tested positive, how do you then keep retesting until negative? I've several tiimes looked for instructions/guidance on NHS and Gov websites, but have so far found nothing that answers my questions.
What have I missed, and where was this information?
I think they're really not awfully worried about it because most people are not getting very seriously ill with it now most of us have had the injections, and to hell with the rest? All our testing stations seem to have disappeared but the vaccination centres are still in evidence. I think the intention now is that you buy your LFT kits, test yourself and exercise restraint as you deem necessary? I think the powers that be are much more concerned now with getting us all making money so we can pay our taxes?

My phone went wrong. 6 months ago, I bought a Unihertz Jelly 2. The camera started playing silly sods, so I emailed Unihertz, who said to send the phone back, and they'll replace it. Thankfully, I still had my old Samsung Galaxy J5 to fall back on. A couple of days of using the Samsung again have reminded me just how much I really don't like large phones, lol!

Grrr, one day old starter for the grandkids 4 wheeler. Grumpy doesn't begin to cover it.
KIMG0190.JPG

As to the cyclists passing peds too closely, it's a problem here, too. Seems like the MAMILs(Middle Aged Males In Lycra), tarted up like a NASCAR driver, are the worst. However, as a former one of those, ahem, MAMILs(30 years ago), I find that ringing my bike bell to warn of my approach will cause many walkers to turn to look behind them and invariably stroll into my path. Been in the ditch more than once. On the other hand, walkers wearing ear buds don't hear the bell and are oblivious.

Grrr, one day old starter for the grandkids 4 wheeler. Grumpy doesn't begin to cover it.
View attachment 410165

As to the cyclists passing peds too closely, it's a problem here, too. Seems like the MAMILs(Middle Aged Males In Lycra), tarted up like a NASCAR driver, are the worst. However, as a former one of those, ahem, MAMILs(30 years ago), I find that ringing my bike bell to warn of my approach will cause many walkers to turn to look behind them and invariably stroll into my path. Been in the ditch more than once. On the other hand, walkers wearing ear buds don't hear the bell and are oblivious.
I think that armature deserves framing and mounting up as a piece of modern art?

I do appreciate a wee tinkle on the bell from an approaching cyclist, but you're right, it does tend to make me turn round to see who/what is coming if it's one coming up behind me and, being old, I realize I do now sometimes have "stability issues" if I look round to quickly.

If it wasn't a day old...
The armature on the original starter is shorted out due to a poor varnish job but it doesn't have wires unraveling. I'm thinking a very thorough cleaning and a better job of sealing with something other than maple syrup may revive it. Worth a try.
Can't remember if you said where it came from? can't you return it under warranty?

Can't remember if you said where it came from? can't you return it under warranty?
It came from Amazon. I could return it but I got what I paid for and I don't want another one. Instead, though, I posted a review with that photo. I do want to make a shadowbox with said armature and hang it in my office as a reminder.

As to the shorted armature, I found the short and un-shorted it. No more continuity where there shouldn't be. The short was caused by chipped wire varnish. I bought some GOOD varnish/sealer specifically for electric motors which should be here tomorrow. We should be back in business on Sunday.

Where to start...
Second replacement seat for the quad showed up yesterday. This one doesn't fit either.

Oldest daughter that lives in New England phoned to tell us that her hubby tested positive for the beer virus so they won't be flying out to Chicago this Wednesday. We haven't seen our granddaughters since November. The oldest granddaughter and youngest grandson both have birthdays in August and we were going to host a party for them.

Dog has the runs.

Where to start...
Second replacement seat for the quad showed up yesterday. This one doesn't fit either.

Oldest daughter that lives in New England phoned to tell us that her hubby tested positive for the beer virus so they won't be flying out to Chicago this Wednesday. We haven't seen our granddaughters since November. The oldest granddaughter and youngest grandson both have birthdays in August and we were going to host a party for them.

Dog has the runs.
Thinks..... Hes really not having a good day.......

How about sad?

One my favorite cycling buddies, Noel Robinson, passed away last night.
47096422434_ea89a305fb_z.jpg

Noel, in the red tam, was a life well lived. He always had a story to tell, often off color, though you didn't know it until he finished. He'd often buy a round, was always glad to see you, and had an encyclopedic mind when it came to the flora and fauna of N. Minnesota and Wisconsin. He had a collection of old English bicycles, second to none, that were ridden, not hidden.
He will be missed.

How about sad?

One my favorite cycling buddies, Noel Robinson, passed away last night.
47096422434_ea89a305fb_z.jpg

Noel, in the red tam, was a life well lived. He always had a story to tell, often off color, though you didn't know it until he finished. He'd often buy a round, was always glad to see you, and had an encyclopedic mind when it came to the flora and fauna of N. Minnesota and Wisconsin. He had a collection of old English bicycles, second to none, that were ridden, not hidden.
He will be missed.
Sorry to hear of the loss of a mate. Good men / mates are too few.

Sorry to hear of the loss of a mate. Good men / mates are too few.
Noel was one of the founders of the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour, an 85 mile jaunt around the lake, done on 3 speed bikes over two days. My first one was in 08 and Noel just walked up to me and introduced himself. We've been friends ever since. The last time I was able to spend some time with him was in 2019. I'd hauled my sister and our bikes to Minnesota on my Ural in 2018 and 2019. Noel requested a ride in the sidecar in 18 but our schedules didn't mesh. I got him in the tub for a short ride in 19 and he had a blast. At the halfway point dinner that night, he got up in front of the group and said that the ride in the sidecar was one of the best things he'd done in his 85 years.

He was quite a guy.

Back