What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

And the remember the cost of fuel, so back to driving like a granny again
Got to make sure the flat spot under full load it was in the garage for has gone...👹

Even going full boost the economy is similar to the weedy one, it at least gives you the option of going with the flow and managing somewhere in the mid to late 40s or lighting it up and still managing to return the same economy as the none-turbo being frantically rowed to (barely) keep up with national limit traffic.

That's why it's a shame diesels are dying out, I get 52-54mpg in the summer with relatively careful driving, and the odd bit of fun, with the difference of 163bhp and 251lbft of torque

That's why it's a shame diesels are dying out, I get 52-54mpg in the summer with relatively careful driving, and the odd bit of fun, with the difference of 163bhp and 251lbft of torque
We had a diesel DS3...it was awful.

The speed of the 82bhp petrol combined with the noise of a tractor...and still only did 40 odd mpg. Also it was fitted with iron blocks not springs to compensate for the weight of the diesel engine.

Don't work in a supermini at all, never get warm in winter..literally used to take half an hour before the heater worked, not economical, not enough space for the required insulation between you and the hammering under the bonnet.

The reason we have a petrol C3 is because when it was for servicing we'd get a similar car to the one I've been complaining about..but compared to that it was luxury, at least you could hear yourself think while holding up traffic.

Last edited:
And the remember the cost of fuel, so back to driving like a granny again

Got to make sure the flat spot under full load it was in the garage for has gone...👹

Even going full boost the economy is similar to the weedy one, it at least gives you the option of going with the flow and managing somewhere in the mid to late 40s or lighting it up and still managing to return the same economy as the none-turbo being frantically rowed to (barely) keep up with national limit traffic.
The non-turbo has to work harder, so becomes less economical. This can be seen in many manufacturers' ranges where the base model returns slightly worse figures than the first turbo model.
With the turbo pushing more air in, more fuel can be burned, so more power, but at the same time, they are usually more efficient, in that more of the power contained in the fuel is gained to push the car along, rather than lost in heat and friction.

The non-turbo has to work harder, so becomes less economical. This can be seen in many manufacturers' ranges where the base model returns slightly worse figures than the first turbo model.
With the turbo pushing more air in, more fuel can be burned, so more power, but at the same time, they are usually more efficient, in that more of the power contained in the fuel is gained to push the car along, rather than lost in heat and friction.

I agree,

In this case it's more extreme as due to the lack of torque without a turbo they fitted very short gears.

Both cars are 5 speed, turbo 2500rpm in 5th = 70mph so at national limit it is quite happy in the middle of the power and torque bands will sit there all day long. If you choose you can torque surf between 1500-3000rpm and it'll happily keep up with the flow of traffic.

2500 rpm in 5th in the none-turbo is 53 mph so at 70 it's spinning somewhere around 3500+ which increases losses in the engine. 5th is slightly shorter than 4th in the turbo. You also have to downshift at everything more than slight incline again losing efficiency.

Flat out the turbo technically capable of using more...but even our fat boy version is 1050kg so there's very little for it to push against so you don't go flat out for long. But i'm sure the same engine fitted into a brick like the C5 aircross or Picasso (which you can get) would deliver pretty catastrophic economy if driven carelessly just due to needing to boost hard to maintain speed not just gain it. At which point the diesel would be a more sensible option.

We've had 3 rabbits in the last week. 1 alive (barely) and 2 definitely deceased.
What made me most grumpy is...
It's not even our cat!
(It is supposed to live with relatives next door, but seems to have permanently moved in with us by stealth. Apparently he now only visits them occasionally)

We had a diesel DS3...it was awful.

The speed of the 82bhp petrol combined with the noise of a tractor...and still only did 40 odd mpg. Also it was fitted with iron blocks not springs to compensate for the weight of the diesel engine.
Again odd, and the 2.0 diesel is very quiet, more like a low rumble at tickover, and a bit of a growl when you put your foot down. It's quite happy to potter round town at 1000 rpm in 4th or 5th for 30mph, and even on the way to work mix of town and dual carriage way, never needs goes above 2,000rpm. You wonder how the same companies can have such good cars and bad cars from the same factory.

Again odd, and the 2.0 diesel is very quiet, more like a low rumble at tickover, and a bit of a growl when you put your foot down. It's quite happy to potter round town at 1000 rpm in 4th or 5th for 30mph, and even on the way to work mix of town and dual carriage way, never needs goes above 2,000rpm. You wonder how the same companies can have such good cars and bad cars from the same factory.
I've driven many cars fitted with the PSA 1.6 diesel (including a ds4) and it contributed to all of them in the way dog poo contributes to a new cream carpet.

Yet to drive a car where it wasn't the worst option available unless all you wanted to do was sit on the motorway.

After all the work...car is not quite right.

Massively improved but not perfect.

I'm hoping the learned the fuel trims in the ecu were made with the coked up valves and it will re-learn over a bit of use and sort itself out.

Not annoyed at the garage as the before and after difference in feel is huge so there was clearly an issue which has been fixed...it's just there may be a side issue underlying it.

Will drive it round on for a few weeks see if we get regular re-occurrance or whether it was a one off.

Last edited:
After all the work...car is not quite right.

Massively improved but not perfect.

I'm hoping the learned the fuel trims in the ecu were made with the coked up valves and it will re-learn over a bit of use.

Not annoyed at the garage as the before and after difference in feel is huge so there was clearly an issue which has been fixed...it's just there may be a side issue underlying it.

Will drive it round on for a few weeks see if we get regular re-occurrance or whether it was a one off.
Pleased the car is improved and very very pleased you got a decent contribution to the bill as these days it really matters. I hope it will all settle down. We none of need expensive purchases that go feet up on us!

The uk are such wimps, can’t handle heat, snow, rain, wind…

I’ve had to work in the Middle East in mid summer, the tropical Far East (Singapore, Malaysia, south China, Indonesia,etc). No sympathy, as I always got told “you’re so lucky” (… to work in substations in that heat in full ppe!)

Thats 37.8C and 15% humidity both records as far as I know for this location Weather station is showing falling pressure and predicting rain. All similar to my sons Location in upstate New York. Air con has proved its self as we are 16C cooler inside than heavens. I dont like having it or using it but as still suffering tail end of covid I am not sure if we would all still be here tonight without it! Now 14%

Last edited:
Back