Off Topic What kind of drivers does the Fiat 500 attract ?

Currently reading:
Off Topic What kind of drivers does the Fiat 500 attract ?

Only idiots listen to J-Ho and buy Gucci. It's nothing to do with wimmin.
Whats your point Maxi?! :p Gucci is chic ^_^

One of the reasons why i bought the 500 is that it's retro! I love this kind of cars, i had a New Beetle convertible for almost 5 years and I just want my car to be "special" in a way.

Regarding Ahmett's post about the Polo... I AGREE.. i hate it, i had the 06' model for a year and it sucks! :p (sorry Polo owners)

Some of you may ask why you didn't go for the 21st century Beetle? The reason is that i still don't know if i like this feminine-retro-masculine-i want to look like a Porsche- please guys out there buy me- look it has. Besides that, it's faaar more expensive than the previous model. In order to buy the 1.2 standard - basic version you should pay around 18500 euros, let alone the cost of the extras you may want to opt. For mine Beetle (1.4, full of extras, convertible), i had paid 23000 (including insurance, plates, road tax). I'm aware of the fact of how expensive it was but 18500 euros for a standard version it's just too much.

What drivers does the 500 attract?

Well, pretty much anyone, really. It's a classless car, a bit like the Beetle and the Mini. Interestingly, there are a few (but not many) non-retro designs that fit this description, the VW Golf being the most obvious.

This car can be driven by a nurse, doctor, accountant, banker, receptionist or a dinner lady. Or even an aristocrat. There aren't many cars that will do this and it's all about the style and the "chicness".

It's hard to quantify what makes a car classless but the 500 really seems to manage it.

I can honestly say we bought our own 500 purely to save money. My wife's former MX5 cost a small fortune to run on both petrol and tax. Four months into ownership, the 500 is proving to be exactly what we had hoped for and is so far, problem free. I've only driven it half a dozen times myself because it is the wife's car and I'm a big car nut (I drive a very modern Cadillac). I'm not personally keen on the Start/Stop thing, but the wife is used to it. When I have driven the car, I can't say I've noticed other guys puckering up their lips to me or telling me I look a nice boy and to have a good day. Then again I'm 43, so I don't suppose I'm in with any chance. :p

Straight men who call the fiat 500 a gay car are either secretly gay themselves or they have no concept of being a man, they are just insecure pigs = )

The four are the Alfa Romeo Spider (2007), Fiat 500 (2008) and Alfa Romeo MiTo (2009). For this year, as you already read in the title, the award goes to yet another Fiat, the 500C.

I was going to point out that you missed the C in the 500 so it should read 'Fiat 500C was voted the Gay car of 2010' but that would be a little bit bitchy of me.:D
The Spider is a bit of surprise and it doesn't look in any way effeminate but then I see a lot of woman driving them with the roof up even on sunny days.:confused:
Before looking at the Mito I did contemplate getting a 500C :cool: but after I wasn't prepared to pay the money being demanded for 'landed' Abarths :( I'm now looking at a mito so I must be really gay :p.
I did notice that I get a great responsive service from the male stewards on long haul flights where they will willingly rob the pillows from other female passengers so that I have a comfy flight. So maybe it has it advantages after all.;)

So that's another trait of 500 owners. We don't give 2 f**** what other people think of us.(y)

Technically I think the 500 is great little car, the twinair engine technology is brilliant. But its not something I'd purchase, far to small for my fat ass, 2 kids, missus, and our 10 stone mastiff. I'm a practical sort of fella that drives an estate car. The cars I buy now are first and foremost functional(being able to fit the whole family in and enough power to tow a trailer), secondly they have to be economical to run and last but not least I like to be comfortable if possible, aircon, satnav, leather seats etc.

So even though the 500 is technically brilliant it just isn't for me.

Do I think the 500 is a little effeminate? Yes
Who do I think would buy such a car? Women

Why? Because its cute and not very practical for someone like myself(average family bloke).

But that's just my opinion, its obviously a great little car.

Last edited:
Technically I think the 500 is great little car, the twinair engine technology is brilliant. But its not something I'd purchase, far to small for my fat ass, 2 kids, missus, and our 10 stone mastiff. I'm a practical sort of fella that drives an estate car. The cars I buy now are first and foremost functional(being able to fit the whole family in and enough power to tow a trailer), secondly they have to be economical to run and last but not least I like to be comfortable if possible, aircon, satnav, leather seats etc.

Why? Because its cute and not very practical for someone like myself(average family bloke).

Fair enough but you forgot bachelor men who have no responsabilities except to themselves = )

I guess you are looking at a 530d touring for your type of job, or if strecthing the budget a bit a Range Rover Diesel (cheap second hand but not so 'eco')

If I was in the market for a small car, the 500 would definitely be at the top of my list. Solid, cheap(ish), fun to drive, and with the typical Italian flair in its design, I don't really see how there can be any alternative.

As for Fiat marketing the 500 using that Lopez woman and Gucci, I think there is a risk of alienating a large proportion of potential buyers - i.e. blokes (particularly the more "blokey" blokes, if you get what I mean). Still, I'd buy one regardless, and if that makes me ghey, bring on the manbag and guyliner

Fair enough but you forgot bachelor men who have no responsabilities except to themselves = )

I guess you are looking at a 530d touring for your type of job, or if strecthing the budget a bit a Range Rover Diesel (cheap second hand but not so 'eco')

As I said before, it is a little effeminate and generally considered a woman's car by most people so the bachelor men I know still wouldn't buy a 500, except maybe Nick, but he is gay and a member on this forum so maybe he'll give his opinion later?

You hit the nail on the head. I used to drive a Range Rover when I was working(I'm a retired builder), even had it gas converted to reduce running costs but it still cost at least twice as much a year to run compared to our remapped 2005 Stilo JTD Multiwagon.

Thing is some people are conscious about whether they might appear ever so slightly girly, some of us aren't. For someone like Shadey with a wife, a fat arse (you said it! :p ), some kids and a big dog, a car that size just isn't practical at all.

Me myself? Well I've only got a wife and both of us fit in just fine. The car has got leather, air con etc etc so it's a comfy car to drive :) Why have something bigger if you're not going to use the space and if it's going to cost more to run?

Ah there you go - you are a real man as you have a real dog, one that weighs more than some women.

I, on the other hand, must definitely be gay - I have a small white dog that is smaller than a decent size cat.

Shut that door!

My 500 was part of a downward spiral of both effeminate and impractical cars.
I owned a fairly practical manly (ugly) Alfa 155, this was added to with a very very pretty, but much less practical Alfa GT Junior (not sure where that stands on the gaydar), the 155 was replaced by a better looking less practical but girly Fiat 500, which has since been replaced by an even less practical, less good looking and dare I say it hairdressers mx5.

maybe it'll be a motorbike or scooter next!:eek:

I'm a 43 year old single bloke, who is no longer able to take his 4 mates the footy:D (cunning plan that, I have a free car park near the ground and they all have 4 seater, four door cars)

Don't care if people think I'm gay or not (though recently I seem to have acquired my 1 st girl friend in 9 years must be the Hairdresser mobile), bought the Fiat for the Italian stripe over the roof as reminded me of the 1960's Jolly Club racing Alfa colour scheme, sold it as the suspension was not up to my local roads, and felt I was driving it every where too fast, due to the less than relaxed nature of the engine, my old Alfa and MX5 are all a little more laid back in nature as the engines have torque to spare, and with the roof down why hurry?

Thing is some people are conscious about whether they might appear ever so slightly girly, some of us aren't. For someone like Shadey with a wife, a fat arse (you said it! :p ), some kids and a big dog, a car that size just isn't practical at all.

Me myself? Well I've only got a wife and both of us fit in just fine. The car has got leather, air con etc etc so it's a comfy car to drive :) Why have something bigger if you're not going to use the space and if it's going to cost more to run?

Agree completely. The only problem a couple without kids would have with the Fiat 500 would be that the boot does not fit two full suitcases so you would have to put the others in the back seats!

My 500 was part of a downward spiral of both effeminate and impractical cars.
I owned a fairly practical manly (ugly) Alfa 155, this was added to with a very very pretty, but much less practical Alfa GT Junior (not sure where that stands on the gaydar), the 155 was replaced by a better looking less practical but girly Fiat 500, which has since been replaced by an even less practical, less good looking and dare I say it hairdressers mx5.

maybe it'll be a motorbike or scooter next!:eek:

I'm a 43 year old single bloke, who is no longer able to take his 4 mates the footy:D (cunning plan that, I have a free car park near the ground and they all have 4 seater, four door cars)

Don't care if people think I'm gay or not (though recently I seem to have acquired my 1 st girl friend in 9 years must be the Hairdresser mobile), bought the Fiat for the Italian stripe over the roof as reminded me of the 1960's Jolly Club racing Alfa colour scheme, sold it as the suspension was not up to my local roads, and felt I was driving it every where too fast, due to the less than relaxed nature of the engine, my old Alfa and MX5 are all a little more laid back in nature as the engines have torque to spare, and with the roof down why hurry?

Sounds to me like you're a bloke who knows what he likes when it comes to cars. And as for not caring what people think of you from the car you drive - cannot fault you at all.
I can't get my head around the fact that so many people make judgements about others simply by looking at their car. For example, I drive a massively underpowered diesel Vectra, so lots of people think I'm dull and boring, which is errr..... true, actually :eek: But you see my point...

I am a bachelor man [well in and out of relationships :rolleyes: ] but personally I wouldn't buy a 500.

However, I do have 2 kids - and I prefer the practicalities of a 5 door - hence the 100HP :)

People told me my TT was gay
3518965149_87a10ff488_z.jpg

Then they told me my Harley was gay
4062235700_75b6b6bacd_z.jpg

and they tell me my 500 is gay
6092402859_102ff56fc7_z.jpg

I know, I chose £15,000 because it gives me more options, one being a MiTo which I think is a very nice car even though its also been labeled a "gay" car.

For 100k most people wouldn't buy a 500 either. The more money people have to spend the less likely they are to buy the really cheap car. For the price the 500 is probably the nicest car you can buy :) Practicalities aside I think a lot of people would buy 500's if not for the extra cost over a Panda or whatever :)

Back