Technical what other fiat models gearbox does the fiat 500 / ford KA 2 fit

Currently reading:
Technical what other fiat models gearbox does the fiat 500 / ford KA 2 fit

dagdromer

Does anybody know what gearbox is used in the fiat 500/ ford ka with the 1.2 fire engine? I need to help somebody that drives a Ford Ka 2 from 2011 and the gearbox sounds like it has eaten every bearing. I tried to source a replacement gearbox but I can't find one for a decent price. Now looking at the gearbox it seems rather similar to the Fiat Panda 169 but with the punto 2 hydrolic clutch cilinders.

What alternatives are there that I can use without getting into problems?

Depends what you mean by a"decent price" loads on e-bay at between£ 250-£450 which is what you should expect to pay!.
If your trying to get something for much less than this A ) i think you will be out of luck and B) if you do find something its likely to be only fit for scrap and if you fit it to the car you will probably regret it fairly quickly!
You could try widening your search to the 1.2 punto but the above still applys!

sorry but indeed those prices are insane. I'm not really into the Fiat parts but it is not a real special component. I do a lot of ford stuff and I never bought or sold a standard for more than 100 euro's. Only the ones with a LSD fitted are more expensive.

sorry but indeed those prices are insane. I'm not really into the Fiat parts but it is not a real special component. I do a lot of ford stuff and I never bought or sold a standard for more than 100 euro's. Only the ones with a LSD fitted are more expensive.
And in the UK don't think I've seen any gearbox in working condition that cheep for cars fiats or othwise

Thanks for the tips. For now I'm just going to change the clutch. The owner was told by the local garage that the gearbox was bad and needed to be replaced. I only drove it around the parking lot and at that moment I agreed as it sounds horrible. But taking it to my place required a longer drive and when you get up to speed the noise goes away. And after further inspection the noise changes when you play with the clutch pedal, whilst driving and at standstill in neutral. So I suspect a bad throw out bearing or a broken/damaged finger on the pressure plate. As it is not the worst job to do on these cars I take the 500 euro gamble and just change the clutch now and if indeed the gearbox is the problem I will swap that later.

It could be the input bearing - they can get quite noisy, but still be fixable quite cheaply (if it is, then new clutch will be wasted without new bearing and seal, as it will be oil-contaminated within a few hundred miles).
Instructions are on here, hardest part is choosing the right bearing.
(You may need a third hand when putting the bell housing back on, but usually it just seems to slot back together just fine)

Thanks, before I start I will check if there is any fluid left in the gearbox and take the inspection cover off to see if there are signs of leaking. I know that the input bearing can be replaced (need to find the thread here with the loads of pictures). That will be Option 2 before spending money on a used box

I've only had to replace one gearbox on a normal Panda, and that was because it had a big hole in it. Mostly they seem to respond pretty well to new input bearing/seal, driveshaft seals and new oil, which is good, as separately, prices are pretty steep.
The last couple I have got came with engines I needed for unmaintained Pandas which overheated. Engine+gearbox less than price of head skim in the wierd world we are currently in.

Anyway, if needed...

Thread 'Input shaft bearing renewal' https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/input-shaft-bearing-renewal.158346/

Back