Off Topic What kind of drivers does the Fiat 500 attract ?

Currently reading:
Off Topic What kind of drivers does the Fiat 500 attract ?

For 100k most people wouldn't buy a 500 either. The more money people have to spend the less likely they are to buy the really cheap car. For the price the 500 is probably the nicest car you can buy :) Practicalities aside I think a lot of people would buy 500's if not for the extra cost over a Panda or whatever :)

If you want cheap don't buy new cars.

As far as I'm aware price ranges depending on spec are about:

MiTo - £13,000 to £17,000
500 - £10,000 to £15,000

So £15,000 was a reasonable price to pay for a small new car. Obviously if I had £100,000 to spend I deffinately wouldn't be purchasing a 500 but I might have consider the MiTo GTA if they were forsale.

Last edited:
If you want cheap don't buy new cars.

As far as I'm aware price ranges depending on spec are about:

MiTo - £13,000 to £17,000
500 - £10,000 to £15,000

So £15,000 was a reasonable price to pay for a small new car. Obviously if I had £100,000 to spend I deffinately would be purchasing a 500 but I might have consider the MiTo GTA.

There is no MiTO GTA.

Thing about it is that 13,710 gets you a twinair lounge with automatic climate control and 16" wheels. All the nice things :) Have a look what you can get in a MiTo for that price.....

I know, I chose £15,000 because it gives me more options, one being a MiTo which I think is a very nice car even though its also been labeled a "gay" car.

Yeah i was looking at mito in dealership but its too overpriced and not really bigger than the Fiat 500 either. Its nicer inside but the fiat is goo enough.

I looked at the mito and it was too much money compared to the 500, I also looked at the brera when I was looking at the TT and it was looks nice but drives like an old transit and after all its an alfa so it was going to drop in value more than the audi did.

Having had both the 500 and Mito, I'd choose the Mito any day. Sure it's more money, but you get so much more for your money.

As soon as I saw the 500 concept I knew I just had to have one, but owning one was just not as much fun as I expected. I think I might have stuck with it if I'd chosen the 1.4 over the 1.2. Mind you I still look at 500s with affection.

So the 500 and Mito are both gay cars. I guess you if you truly want to be seen as macho then only a massive Volvo, BMW or ugly 4x4 will do the trick.

Yeah go get a hilux acting all gangster, and good luck with parking that or attracting the girls on Sloane Street!!

Having had both the 500 and Mito, I'd choose the Mito any day. Sure it's more money, but you get so much more for your money.

What more do you feel that you get for your money aside from space and some nicer interior materials?

Just asking :)

What more do you feel that you get for your money aside from space and some nicer interior materials?

Just asking :)

Well it just feels so much more substantial. The interior is a really comfy place to be, and most of the materials are really nice. The 135MA engine is a gem. Lots of nice little touches from the graphic displays on the dash,the frameless doors, the DNA system, to what they call exterior courtesy lights. The 135 I have now as standard runs on Koni variable response shockers which has vastly improved the ride over earlier Mitos.

And it looks great, but that will always be subjective.

Well it just feels so much more substantial. The interior is a really comfy place to be, and most of the materials are really nice. The 135MA engine is a gem. Lots of nice little touches from the graphic displays on the dash,the frameless doors, the DNA system, to what they call exterior courtesy lights. The 135 I have now as standard runs on Koni variable response shockers which has vastly improved the ride over earlier Mitos.

And it looks great, but that will always be subjective.

(y)

Now, this is a very interesting debate... I see that men are mostly worried (or not - in Maxi's case :)) about appearing gay... Not many women answered tho, so it might be interesting to see what are their thoughts. Personally, I've changed from F500 to Grande Punto mostly because of increasing feeling that I was driving a 'style statement' - the perception that did not sit well with me. It wasn't the case what other people thought of me but of growing unease with, what I perceived to be Fiat's insistance on 'style' over 'substance'. And I do think that F500 has lots going for it, of which style is a small part. I prefer slightly underdog feel of Grande Punto now. Still smile when I see a 500 tho...;)

I'm a confirmed Alfisti and have owned loads over the years but the Mito and Giulietta just dont do it for me, I'm not mad about the new look 'bug eye' frontal treatment on either car - have you ever seen any promotional blurb or adverts for the Giulietta that show the front of the car?? I think not - all shots are of the rear quarter as it looks decidely better than the front! Anyway, horses for courses but I think the 500 has more retro character and is more satisfying on the eye. I saw a man who I'd say was in his early eighties driving a red 500 recently and I thought that was pretty cool! He had his wife with him so I dont think he was gay!

Last edited:
Now, this is a very interesting debate... I see that men are mostly worried (or not - in Maxi's case :)) about appearing gay... Not many women answered tho, so it might be interesting to see what are their thoughts. Personally, I've changed from F500 to Grande Punto mostly because of increasing feeling that I was driving a 'style statement' - the perception that did not sit well with me. It wasn't the case what other people thought of me but of growing unease with, what I perceived to be Fiat's insistance on 'style' over 'substance'. And I do think that F500 has lots going for it, of which style is a small part. I prefer slightly underdog feel of Grande Punto now. Still smile when I see a 500 tho...;)

to me style is important, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder
i changed my 500 for a Fiat Bravo T-Jet Sport, a superior car in every aspect and arguably as stylish with its swoopy curves and muscular stance

the difference is that people noticed the 500 and hardly anyone notices the Bravo, those that do think it is a Grande Punto

am i bothered? do i feel more manly?

Back