Technical What has gone wrong with your Tipo?

Currently reading:
Technical What has gone wrong with your Tipo?

Tipotwo

My 2019 (as in January 2019), now 20k mile Tipo has had the following faults, all of which showed up at the end of the 2 year warranty period.

1 - lost DAB radio reception, which needed a new aerial base. The Arnold Clark dealership conned me by getting me to pay for a diagnosis and first changed the antenna, which did not work. I got a local garage to fit the base.

2 - the driver window mechanism failed, a wire snapped, so the glass ended up inside the door. I pulled it back up and taped it shut, till a local garage could source a new mechanism.

3 - the rear brake discs developed a ring of rust, which was recorded as a MOT advisory and which Arnold Clark charged me to remove, but it reappeared within months. For less money, a local garage sourced new discs.

Not so much faults, as issues;

1 - there is an ongoing knock coming from what sounds like it is underneath, at the back of the car. So far, I have had everything out of the boot including the spare tyre and it is not that. It is not the exhaust or anything obvious under the car. I have a horrible feeling it something that has fallen under the back passenger seat, which fell through the gap between it and the boot, which was being used to carry a lot of rubbish to the dump during some work at the house.

2 - the car came with paint protection, which caused water to sheet and just flow off. When that stopped, during the summer, I gave the car a polish with some very old polish I had and under some light, it looks blotchy. The water beads like expected on a polished car, so I will just let it get washed and do no treatment till everything has worn away and try again.

My 2021 is having a new headlamp under warranty this month. The indicator segment is faulty. That’s it. 17,000 miles.

I've got the 500x now, but we had a 2018 Tipo JTD before and the only thing that went on it was the Arial Base.
Sometimes I miss the Tipo because there is loads of room.

My 2017 Tipo Hatch has had a few problem since I got it in 2019. Mind you it was a rental car (I was unaware of it unfortunately):

1) Flywheel rattle. Replaced by Fiat under warranty as well as free clutch replacement.

2) Front washer hose was loose

3) EML caused by lambda sensor (replaced both)

4) Rear shock absorber leak (failed MOT)

5) Have now got a clunk when turning the steering wheel at low speeds/parking. Not sure what the fault it exactly.

I also have a knock coming from the rear which I have no idea what it is. I initally thought it was rear shocks but they were replaced due to failed MOT.

I was wondering if the rear knocking noise would be picked up when the back brake discs were replaced, but all is fine. I think it is just a Fiat thing. The Punto I had was the most reliable car I have ever owned. All that went wrong with it was the windscreen wiper motor failed. But, it would make on odd groaning noise on start up, the source of which was never traced. Fiat must manufacture odd noises into their cars.

The 500x has a smaller boot, that's the biggest thing we noticed.

No one we have given a lift to has said that there is less space, so I think its pretty much the same.

I think the 600e will be too small, so maybe have to consider a Tonale next

Clutch and flywheel went (replaced under warranty) both rear shocks leaked, front anti roll bar links, rear wheel bearing (virtually no grease in them! Even the new sealed units have insufficient grease), door cards rattle and squeak, door seal creak, the footrest rattled, cambelt replaced a full year and over 15k short of needing change and the waterpump bearings were already knackered so it I dont think it would have made the service interval and then final straw was the clutch and flywheel starting to fail again. Kicked it to the curb. The suspension components being used are just not up to the job of the weight of the car, the clutch can’t handle the diesel torque, mine was almost exclusively motorway use and just over 30k between clutches is a farce. Real shame, it’s good looking and well equipped but much too fragile with components used that are just not designed to last.

2017 1.6 Diesel Lounge. Had it 5 years, waxoyled it when I got it, serviced it every 6 months. The oil was ludicrously expensive for the diesel 😳 the idea was it would see me at least a decade. But when it gets to starting to need what would have been its 3rd clutch at just over 60k as well as 2 years of the suspension parts just failing one after another I decided to get rid while it still had some value left in it. Clutches shouldn’t be needed every major service 😨 still, that engine is spotless inside and it won’t rust 🤣

my TIPO has replaced my 1994 mercedes which I had for 50,000miles and ten years. Auto, but just one front wishbone bushes needed. rust got that, so you’re wise to rust proof.
the merc replaced a citroen c5 which at 85,000miles was on the original clutch, and
before that my Citroen CX DTR was on its original clutch at 174,000 miles when I sold it. my x1/9 is on the original clutch still too.

Ironic, I went to an e class with 50k on it from the tipo 😁 I have a Capri with 140k on it, it’s had 1 wheel bearing (at 110k) And I swapped the rear shocks last year. Weren’t leaking, just had started to corrode. I have an old Audi A8 it’s done 160k, all the wheel bearings and shocks are original and function perfectly. So what did we know then to make parts last that Fiat don’t know now?

all my cars are blue!
IMG_5611.jpeg

My 2019 (as in January 2019), now 20k mile Tipo has had the following faults, all of which showed up at the end of the 2 year warranty period.

1 - lost DAB radio reception, which needed a new aerial base. The Arnold Clark dealership conned me by getting me to pay for a diagnosis and first changed the antenna, which did not work. I got a local garage to fit the base.

2 - the driver window mechanism failed, a wire snapped, so the glass ended up inside the door. I pulled it back up and taped it shut, till a local garage could source a new mechanism.

3 - the rear brake discs developed a ring of rust, which was recorded as a MOT advisory and which Arnold Clark charged me to remove, but it reappeared within months. For less money, a local garage sourced new discs.

Not so much faults, as issues;

1 - there is an ongoing knock coming from what sounds like it is underneath, at the back of the car. So far, I have had everything out of the boot including the spare tyre and it is not that. It is not the exhaust or anything obvious under the car. I have a horrible feeling it something that has fallen under the back passenger seat, which fell through the gap between it and the boot, which was being used to carry a lot of rubbish to the dump during some work at the house.

2 - the car came with paint protection, which caused water to sheet and just flow off. When that stopped, during the summer, I gave the car a polish with some very old polish I had and under some light, it looks blotchy. The water beads like expected on a polished car, so I will just let it get washed and do no treatment till everything has worn away and try again.
Is your car white? I have trouble getting a good shine on my white Tipo

The 500x has a smaller boot, that's the biggest thing we noticed.

No one we have given a lift to has said that there is less space, so I think its pretty much the same.

I think the 600e will be too small, so maybe have to consider a Tonale next
Im always considering such things.... just a small discrepancy in my budget unfortunately.

I can add a drop link (cost £22.50) to my list. There had been a knocking noise coming from under the car.

Back