General What brought you.....

Currently reading:
General What brought you.....

Recently inherited a 1998 B that hasn't done 45,000 but was a bit tired and a few minor problems plus one big dent :(

After careful scrutiny decided that, mechanically, I could tell front of car from back- just :shrug:.

Decided to "get help" as they say. Google did the rest.

I was googling trying to find out why my barchetta has these periodic failures to start, and this site popped up.

It's great to finally find an active forum fro barchetta owners! I've been reading it for a couple of weeks now, and decided to sign up.

Cheers!

I was googling trying to find out why my barchetta has these periodic failures to start, and this site popped up.

It's great to finally find an active forum fro barchetta owners! I've been reading it for a couple of weeks now, and decided to sign up.

Cheers!

Welcome! to the forum,

We are all a great bunch and always willing to help the fellow B owner(y)

Cheers!

Hey SilverArrow welcome to the forum - so where exactly is 'far up North'?

Customary to give a quick few lines on your b and post up a picture!! ;)

Nice bunch on here but I will apologise up front for ROBOT, he's from Norway you know..............

Hey, Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Hey SilverArrow welcome to the forum - so where exactly is 'far up North'?
Far up north is about 69 degrees north. Tromsø, Norway, to be exact!

Customary to give a quick few lines on your b and post up a picture!! ;)
Ok, I have a silver B from 1997, or was it 1996, that has been in my possession for almost 4 years. Originally imported from Germany. Equiped with hardtop, leather seats, airbags, foglights and ashtray ;)

It's very tempting to post the pictures under the "Post pics of Barchetta cars that need a bit of love" thread!

The car has been lowered, resulting in leakage from the gearbox due to tear after running on our lovely norwegian roads (<-- sarcasm :cool:)

Exhaust needs replacement, well, the parts that are still there... The back box is replaced with just a pipe.... Pretty horrific sound though!

Some small rust spots here and there are starting to show, so I guess a repaint is required soon as well.

I guess cam-belt is due for replacement, because that hasn't been done over the 4 years I've had it, and only god knows if the previous owners ever did it. It has only run 67.000 km tho. I havent bothered to change it because I was told it was done, but couldn't find any documentation on the service...

I changed the soft-top about a year ago, bought a new one from e-bay, and it worked out all right. Never try to replace the softtop with the hardtop when its only a couple of degrees outside ;) (window broke).

Oh, and the funniest thing is this periodic failure to start... So far it seem to happen when I park uphill, and its low on gas (not empty, just a bit less than half full). When this happens, the ECU lamp indicates failure. I suspect it might be something wrong with the fuelpump. If i turn the car around it seem to fix the problem...

Using this car in the wintertime is a pain. I always has to park on a flat spot, because the handbrake freezes. And so does the door handles! I have to put a straw under the handle so it sticks out a bit. If I do get the doors open, I have to tie the doors shut, because the lock is then frozen and wont keep the doors shut until I have driven it for a couple of miles.

All in all, a fun car, and I love it! Just have to show it some more, I guess.

Cheers!

Another Norweigian Robot will be so pleased :)

A very warm welcome to the site (y)

By your I'D sounds like you picked the best colour :D

Any questions don't hesitate to ask, I know there are a couple already but put these on specific threads and do search for info as what you want to know may already be on board.

I'm sure you will enjoy your time here and if not let us know why.....

Using this car in the wintertime is a pain. I always has to park on a flat spot, because the handbrake freezes. And so does the door handles! I have to put a straw under the handle so it sticks out a bit. If I do get the doors open, I have to tie the doors shut, because the lock is then frozen and wont keep the doors shut until I have driven it for a couple of miles.

All in all, a fun car, and I love it! Just have to show it some more, I guess.

Cheers!

Oil up the locks, put silicone on all the rubber around the doors, put strips (that's what we call it in Norway, atleast ;)) around the doorhandles. And always leave your barchetta parked in gear. I used mine all winter, and it worked perfectly. Admit I loooooved it when some friends had to pour boiled water around the doors to be able to get into their Land Rover Discovery - after all the comments about how useless bee is during the winter. :cool:

What you talking about...he's a confirmed :tosser: and would go as far as to say probably a black belt in the art of being an... post-2-43772-2635977_wanker.gif

Or should that be Red belt :)

Ah! never knew that.....Lima/RichPea is that correct? as I promised a bt to the first to get a positive reply to the fliers....

https://www.fiatforum.com/barchetta/136752-fiatforum-tagging-7.html (post 97)

So if that's correct I owe you a bt of whisky Lima.....

Yes, I met Lima (Mark) when I parked next to his B in Woking. We had a good chat about cars and he gave me the flyer and highly recommended the forum. I am delighterd to have met Lima as not only is he a really nice bloke but he also told me about the Goodwood meeting on 6 July which was great fun. Also most pleased to be on this forum even though I spend too much time here when I should be working! Hope Lima enjoys the whisky.
Rich :yum:

I cheated... I used the Jedi Mind Trick on Richpea that fateful day. He joined the FIAT FORUM but also unwittingly joined several other sites, including The Crossstitch Society.co.uk, Save The Tapeworm.com and Christopher Biggins For Prime Minister.org
:D

I cheated... I used the Jedi Mind Trick on Richpea that fateful day. He joined the FIAT FORUM but also unwittingly joined several other sites, including The Crossstitch Society.co.uk, Save The Tapeworm.com and Christopher Biggins For Prime Minister.org
:D

.. and not to forget Cornflake Collector. com - see a picture of part of my collection attached.
Rich :cool:

Attachments

• IM000739.JPG
    IM000739.JPG
    606.7 KB · Views: 13
Back