What are friends for?

Currently reading:
What are friends for?

If you wonder why you may have to wait a while for an ambulance to arrive, it could be because they are going to Elderly Peoples' Homes to pick up those who have fallen. It's not that there's anything wrong with the poor old dears, it's just that the home isn't insured for any injury they may cause when picking her up, so they call an Emergency Ambulance.

why did she think it'd explode? too many movies. i can see why the person in the car is annoyed. if they were in no imediate danger, then there was no need to pull them out.

like if someone got hit by a car, and they were lying in the road - if someone can along and dragged them onto the pavement "in case another car ran them over".. that wouldn't be a wise thing to do.

thought you were going public on complaining that i posted the pic whilst you weren't around to see it :nerner::ROFLMAO:

thought you were going public on complaining that i posted the pic whilst you weren't around to see it :nerner::ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I'm gonna sue your tight ass for that. :p

You can afford £61, so why not. :chin:

She you in court b!tch!!! :mad:

:p

Just in case anyone is concerned, a couple of points.

the original news article is from the states and refers to whether the rescuer is protected by specific law - the 'good samaritan act'. That, as far as I'm aware doesn't exist in this country.

If one is in an emergency situation in this country the legal standard is for a court to consider what a 'reasonable person' of similar training would do in the same circumstances.

If a member of the public has to act the judgement would be, were their actions the same as any reasonable untrained person.

For someone who has first aid training, actions of a reasonable person with that training and so on.

My actions would be judged against the actions of 'reasonable' ambulance technicians, nurses judged against other nurses and doctors other doctors.

The article further only reports that the judge feels that the person can be sued - in other words asked to account for their actions in court. That's not a nice experience but is not the same as being found liable.

The action has probably been brought by the victims insurance company who may be facing millions of dollars of costs for lifelong care. Sadly they owe it to their shareholders to not just pay up.

As people have said, cars can catch fire and that's obviously dangerous. It is however, unusual. If you're at an accident get victims to stay still and, if you can't see signs of fire, take time to look for it before deciding to move victims. If you find none, stay put and stay alert to act if things change.
Remember, lots of steam (white colour) comes from damaged radiators and cooling hoses and if airbags deploy the passenger compartment gets a nice gunpowder burning smell from the propellant. If the car is on fire no judge would find against you.

If your actions are reasonable, safe and you can give a reason for them you have no reason to fear the courts.

On a personal note, unless you are in danger, please don't drive past a road accident and call emergency services without taking a moment to stop and find out what's happening. I've spent a lot of time charging around responding to calls to 'an accident that looks bad' only to find that the drivers have exchanged details and driven off by the time we arrive. If the caller had only paused and called out to check everyone was ok?

Gonna stop rambling now but if anyone is concerned feel free to PM me for opinions :)

Just in case anyone is concerned, a couple of points.

the original news article is from the states and refers to whether the rescuer is protected by specific law - the 'good samaritan act'. That, as far as I'm aware doesn't exist in this country.

If one is in an emergency situation in this country the legal standard is for a court to consider what a 'reasonable person' of similar training would do in the same circumstances.

If a member of the public has to act the judgement would be, were their actions the same as any reasonable untrained person.

For someone who has first aid training, actions of a reasonable person with that training and so on.

My actions would be judged against the actions of 'reasonable' ambulance technicians, nurses judged against other nurses and doctors other doctors.

The article further only reports that the judge feels that the person can be sued - in other words asked to account for their actions in court. That's not a nice experience but is not the same as being found liable.

The action has probably been brought by the victims insurance company who may be facing millions of dollars of costs for lifelong care. Sadly they owe it to their shareholders to not just pay up.

As people have said, cars can catch fire and that's obviously dangerous. It is however, unusual. If you're at an accident get victims to stay still and, if you can't see signs of fire, take time to look for it before deciding to move victims. If you find none, stay put and stay alert to act if things change.
Remember, lots of steam (white colour) comes from damaged radiators and cooling hoses and if airbags deploy the passenger compartment gets a nice gunpowder burning smell from the propellant. If the car is on fire no judge would find against you.

If your actions are reasonable, safe and you can give a reason for them you have no reason to fear the courts.

On a personal note, unless you are in danger, please don't drive past a road accident and call emergency services without taking a moment to stop and find out what's happening. I've spent a lot of time charging around responding to calls to 'an accident that looks bad' only to find that the drivers have exchanged details and driven off by the time we arrive. If the caller had only paused and called out to check everyone was ok?

Gonna stop rambling now but if anyone is concerned feel free to PM me for opinions :)

Very well said Franksplace (y)

Back