Technical Weird spare

Currently reading:
Technical Weird spare

jayartibee

I've just acquired another Fiat - its a Panda 4 - and has a REALLY WEIRD spare wheel - says it's a temporary spare etc all over it - bit it's a slick! very rounded tyre, with no tread at all. Seems a bit unsafe to me? Can anyone explain this...

I'll post a pic after I collect the beast

its like a wheel off a 1945 spitfire

I've seen a couple like that in the past, always assumed it was to make it obvious it was an emergency tyre and to be changed with urgency and not to be mistaken with a small skinny wheel such as you might find on a Panda.

I've seen a couple like that in the past, always assumed it was to make it obvious it was an emergency tyre and to be changed with urgency and not to be mistaken with a small skinny wheel such as you might find on a Panda.
Well I won't be letting my boys use it (it's a learners car) - it would be horrible in the wet...

That's why use of the spacesafer spare is limited in distance and speed AND should only be placed on the backaxle.
So sometimes you first have to place the spare on the backaxle and then replace the leaky one in the front with the one that was on the back.

gr J

I didn't know that about the back axel. Makes sense now you say it, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to me to do it.

I've just acquired another Fiat - its a Panda 4 - and has a REALLY WEIRD spare wheel - says it's a temporary spare etc all over it - bit it's a slick! very rounded tyre, with no tread at all. Seems a bit unsafe to me? Can anyone explain this...
That pretty common these days most have "space saver" type spare wheel

I'll post a pic after I collect the beast

its like a wheel off a 1945 spitfire
Here's a pic. Ovs completely worn. Rim is in great condition. Can't work it out at all. Lethal though!

Attachments

• IMG_6243.jpg
    IMG_6243.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
Looks like someone did a bit more than find the nearest garage when they had a puncture.

You see people driving at silly speeds on these space savers every day of the week.

Go on eBay and buy a replacement.

I prefer a space saver to a collapsible tyre that Porsche used to do. A replacement is £325.

Both have been superseded by things like Tyre Slime and a Compressor now.

Yup, totally done in! The white patches on the lower parts of the picture are the casing fabric starting to be revealed because the rubber has been completely worn away! Indisputably illegal! I'd take bets it's been used on a front wheel? I'm not a lover of spacesavers but hate no spare and a can of gunge even more. I also would not mount a spacesaver on a front wheel of a front wheel drive vehicle because of the handling of course but also because of the difference in diameter causing the diff spider gears to work overtime.

By the way, now my old SEAT Cordoba has gone to the happy hunting grounds I've just discovered the space saver it came with, and quickly replaced with a full size spare, at the back of my garage. It's never been on any vehicle and is absolutely pristine having been stored in the dark at the back of a nice dry and cool brick built garage. Anyone got any idea what I might ask for it?

It's unreal that people can drive on tyres like that

Back