Technical Water leaking around top of the windscreen and driver side roof.

Currently reading:
Technical Water leaking around top of the windscreen and driver side roof.

Jon121

Hi, recently my Fiat Grande Punto has been having leak problems. Rainwater seems to somehow be getting inside and soaking into the sponge thing on top of the windscreen and then drip down. I tried sealing around the windscreen with silicone but nothing changed. Has anyone had the same problem and what could the cause be. It's hard to diagnose the location of the leak recently as it has been raining almost every day for past month so I am unable to get it dry and see where the water could be coming through.

Attachments

• 20210216_182205.jpg
    20210216_182205.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 80
  • 20210216_182115.jpg
    20210216_182115.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
The screen hasn't been replaced. It developed 2-3 months ago. Had the car for 3 years. I park it on flat terrain so that can't be the issue. It's been getting unbearable especially since there are no signs of it stopping to rain.

There can be issues with rust between the windscreen and the body of the car on any car as they get older. Especially if in the past the screen has been replaced and the installer scratched or damaged the frame. Also sometimes a gap could be left in the sealer and it’s expanded and contracted in the hot and cold over the years to the point it’s now letting a little water through as it gets old.

In all honesty the only way to get to the bottom of this might be to have the screen taken out, the frame checked and then have it reinstalled with a new bead of sealant.

It will be a poor windscreen replacement. Car should be on flat ground when the screen is put in. It's part of the structure of the car to gibe rigidity. If it's stressed from day one eventually the sealant gives way and the car leaks.

I would contact some local independent windscreen guys, they can usually take the screen out and reseal it (a friend of mine does this) cost varies from car to car because of the risks of breaking the glass.

Someone like auto glass are only interested in replacing the screen and not always looking for things like rust or problems with the frame so might just glue a new screen in and not solve the problem

Back