Technical Water in trunk 2006 Panda

Currently reading:
Technical Water in trunk 2006 Panda

sliden0101

Dear Fiat Panda Owners!

2006 fiat panda mk3 1.1 54le (187A1000)

I found water in the trunk after heavy rain yesterday. (Picture 3 i wiped clean already)
I tried to find where it goes into the car. So far i found that it is not the rear lights screws/ power connector / and not the lamp clips.

Behind the grey plastik (Picture 1) where the rear safety belt is, there is a yellow sponge around the belt assembly. And here i found that the lower yellow sponge was soaking wet (Picture 2).
Here comes the problem i can't see inside.I can't reach and i can't use bore scope because i believe there is 3 sheet metal joining together.

Where the water goes inside the car? Give me some ideas please!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Good day.

Attachments

• 20221002_110649.jpg
    20221002_110649.jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20221002_110656.jpg
    20221002_110656.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 20221002_110707.jpg
    20221002_110707.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • 20221002_110716.jpg
    20221002_110716.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
I have not had this area leak but Fiat are NOTORIOUS for the bad fit of body panels. My Bravo leaked in theis area and it was basically an undersized roof panel. Very close examination under teh seal revealed a gar in teh panels which I sealed with bathroom mastic and it never leaked again.. Our 2014 Panda suffered water in teh boot and after the rear lights were removed another gap was revealed. Almost 1cm2 at the base of the light. Again poor panel fit. I used silicon to fill the hole and capped it off with some tiger panel seal and again its never leaked again. You could also check teh radio aerial seaand if required clean and add some black silicon under / around the base. One other possible but remote possibility is the roff gutter under the roof rails but I think this is highly unlikely. Maybe you can pull the boot / trunk seal off the top edge and look under teh roof lining to see if you can see anything. When assembled the trunk / door seals have some sort of sealant on the bodywork. If I have any doubts of the seal working I use a thin smear of plumbers mate pipe sealant on the 1st cm of the metal body edge about 0.5mm thick and then replace the door seal. DOnt just look for tiny imperfections you may think the gaps that are painted and sealed are meant to be there. Chances are they are not! Also dont just look o the side where you suspect the leak is as water moves as wel know so check both sides. When replacing the seals look to see tehy form a nice even line once fitted. Any kniks bends or bumps suggest a lack of seating. Before refitting the seas you can squeeze tehm closed a little with pliers to provide a tighter fit.

I have not had this area leak but Fiat are NOTORIOUS for the bad fit of body panels. My Bravo leaked in theis area and it was basically an undersized roof panel. Very close examination under teh seal revealed a gar in teh panels which I sealed with bathroom mastic and it never leaked again.. Our 2014 Panda suffered water in teh boot and after the rear lights were removed another gap was revealed. Almost 1cm2 at the base of the light. Again poor panel fit. I used silicon to fill the hole and capped it off with some tiger panel seal and again its never leaked again. You could also check teh radio aerial seaand if required clean and add some black silicon under / around the base. One other possible but remote possibility is the roff gutter under the roof rails but I think this is highly unlikely. Maybe you can pull the boot / trunk seal off the top edge and look under teh roof lining to see if you can see anything. When assembled the trunk / door seals have some sort of sealant on the bodywork. If I have any doubts of the seal working I use a thin smear of plumbers mate pipe sealant on the 1st cm of the metal body edge about 0.5mm thick and then replace the door seal. DOnt just look for tiny imperfections you may think the gaps that are painted and sealed are meant to be there. Chances are they are not! Also dont just look o the side where you suspect the leak is as water moves as wel know so check both sides. When replacing the seals look to see tehy form a nice even line once fitted. Any kniks bends or bumps suggest a lack of seating. Before refitting the seas you can squeeze tehm closed a little with pliers to provide a tighter fit.
Thanks for your fast reply.
Funny thing, everything you said i was thinking about.

I looked the cabel and back window light and the connector itselt but it was very clean and dry. I dont think it is there.
I looked the roof lining and i was thinking about it too but i dont think it is.

I removed the big trunk seal corner close to the top of the car and between the light. And there was 2 metal panel which should have connected nicely but instead it had a gap in them so i filled it up with silicone.

I think this will solve the problem but if not i might buy a new complete seal and a big silicone gun and go full barbaric.

Thanks for reply and i wait for a rainy day and i post update. If someone need.

in that case this might help

Thanks for posting that up my man. I was just about to do so. It was a really subtle leak to find but I can confirm that to this day it's still completely water tight. Someone above mentions sun roofs. Becky has a glass sliding sun roof and, being a bit of a worrier, I've only opened it once in the years we've owned her because I'm worried it might not close again. Now I worry that the drains might block and it'll start leaking into the car! Wish I wasn't one of the worriers of this world!

Yep this really look like mine but my panels are deformed on the top thats why mine was wet at top.

I wish google dropped me this site when i looked for "panda water in trunk".

Thanks anyways!!

Back