Technical URGENT please help

Currently reading:
Technical URGENT please help

engine bay, right hand side near the ECU on a bracket. there is thin walled black tube that goes from it to the inlet manifold.

have you tried removing the second lambda cap, and running it like that. it'll be noisy, but should help rule out a blocked cat.

Does the car not stall when revs are held, for example if you hold the revs at 2500 rpm for say 5 mins would it cut out? If not then go to halfords and buy some fuel tank cleaner/fuel pipe cleaner, cant think of the real name but I am sure one of teenagers there can help you find what you need and put it in the tank as instructed, it is normally mixed with half a tank of fuel or something and then fire the car up and keep it running for 5 - 10 mins @ 2500 rpm or 3000 if your feeling abit naughty :) so the cleaner gets into the pipes and through into the engine :eek: that should clear any blocks

Im sure if you make it slightly more concentrated by adding more than what it says on the back you shouldnt do any damage and it hopefully will clean quicker, but not to concentrated or you might end up melting the pipes... who knows!

Have you checked the HT leads are in the correct order and the spark plugs are in correct...... i.e. screwed in deep enough, sometimes they feel tight but still can go in more due to someone might have cross theaded them in the past and screwed the threads in the block!

As mentioned you could try cleaning the lambda senser but with all the Sei/Cinq's I have had when the lambda was on its way or dying out it did what you are describing, :O my old cinq even broke down on the way to the garage to have the problem fixed as at the time I didnt know it was the sensor gone!
It works like this.........

Cold start ---> ECU uses different map ---> Engine Warms ---> ECU uses Lambda sensor ---> If its broke engine stalls/if its working engine revs lower and engine works!

Regards

Adam

right lambar sensor is now in a glass of coke

it you hold it at revs it will go for longer but will still die out but what i found was if you push the accelerator quickly twice it will pops back in to life.

ht leads are in correct order did it according to haynes, and i think you can only get 1 and 3 mixed up as the others dont reach any other plugs. all sparks are in tight.

will check the map sensor tomorrow, and look for the second lambar map and run it without it on, and try what eviljaxx suggested

so will report back tomorrow

cheers kris(y)

Redex is the stuff from halfords, but i doubt it would be fuel blockages. The fault is too consistant!

Let us know how u get on with lamda.

Ross

new lambar sensor is £50 from osscotts, just refitted the lambar and it still cuts out, but does seem to be ok at bout 2000 revs, as soon i i let the revs drop it cuts out.

going to a scrappy in a bit in the hope of finding a cinq sporting to strip down. or if any one has a spare lambar they want to sell me?

checked the map sensor and you can only put it on one way round so that was ok.

will report back after the scrappy visit.

i no but dnt want to start a new thread as people will shout at me :( cause it isnt even urgent now.

the car will turn over fine and start first time, but it will suddenly cut out. it will hold for longer if revd at say 2000rpm but once you take your foot off the pedal to lower the revs it will judder and cut out. it will start again straight after though.

if i keep my foot on the accelarator then after a period of time the revs will drop slightly and some times with cars revs will drop completely.

so i have checked the map sensor right way round and gave it a quick clean

new oil, filter and flushed.

new sparks and leads

new fuel filter

going looking for a lambar sensor today (as eviljaxx this this is the prob)

yes i think 80mm is a lightning conductor but if he got it for 150 quid and gets a haynes manual rolls his sleeves up. Worst case scenario i have seen a lot of engines out of these cars for sale. If the body is good which it should be not too bad as they are galvanised then well worth it.

so basically, it won't idle. If you adjust the throttle cable so it holds the revs at say 1500 and leave it, does it cut out?

It could be the idle control valve is jammed / broken. Its on the right hand side of the TB, and is held in by two torx screws. Remove it, and clean it up with some carb cleaner.

just got back from two scrappys and........

they had 4 cinqs and one sei, none a sporting version.

found a punto with the same lambar sensor as mine so, ahd that and am gona try it, will then move on to and have a look at the idle control after some food of course :yum: hmmmmmm food

been out on the car for a bit, fitted the lambar sensor from the scrappy even though not the right one it worked :D

so ran it for about 3 mins then it cut out. thought right idle control, before i did this i help the car at 1500rpm with my hand so i knew it would be accurate. didnt stall for about 5 minutes. started it up again reved it and let it dropas it was dropping felt like it was going to cut out.

now i no arc said adjust the idle valve but if it cut out when i help it at 1500rpm would it really be that?

cheers kris (y)

Uhmmm......... Im running out of idea's

Maybe PM Oldschool and ask him for advice, make sure you list everything done and im sure he can tell you what is up as his knowledge is great! also link him to this thread so he can have a ponder through!

Regards

Adam

eh

So if you hold the revs at 1500, it doesnt stall but if you let it idle on its own it does?

Try a new idle control valve. The car sat for a while didnt it. Maybe its stuck.

If the car will run at 1500rpm with the throttle held open a bit then it aint lambda, map etc anything like - its an idle problem

but it will lose revs if it is held at say 4000rpm some times. power just drops and have to hit the accelarator a few times to spark it back in to life.

good new its not the lambar and map sensor though, although might replace them if i can get them cheap any way.

Last edited:
Wow dude that is a complicated one. It definately a sensor of some kind tho, because of the fact that when u release the throttle its cutting out. Tried the thermostat yet?

Ross

Back