Ultimate diesel

Currently reading:
Ultimate diesel

went to my local esso garage to fill up with diesel and they ran out so went to a BP garage and they also ran out of diesel but only had ultimate diesel left at 102.9p a litre! what difference is there between normal diesel and ultimate diesel? I think I know the answer but just wanted to make sure.

As far as I know the Ultimate diesel is just diesel with cleaning agents in it - a bit like optimax. It costs a fortune though and Shell diesel has cleaning agents in it for a good 6-8p a litre less.

Wonder which one I use. :chin:

When is someone going to fill their JTD with veggie oil? I wanna know how it runs!

Hellcat, the problem with veggie oil is that is needs to be heated before entering the engine, so you need to fit a heater to the fuel lines first. The cost of this kit is usually about £1000 (my van is £880 inc fitting).

Only in the winter, during the summer veggie oil (rape sead) will run fine. There is a heater built into the fuel filter housing, You can also make a waterjacket using copper pipe to enable coolant to pre-heat the oil before entering the fuel filter.

Nearly forgot to say, there is someone who owns a fish and chip shop nearby who runs his 1970's Mercedes 240 diesel on the used rape seed oil from his chip shop, all he does is filter the crud out, and then can run the car for free (y)

christopher watson said:
Nearly forgot to say, there is someone who owns a fish and chip shop nearby who runs his 1970's Mercedes 240 diesel on the used rape seed oil from his chip shop, all he does is filter the crud out, and then can run the car for free (y)

Nope, he has to pay 27.5p per litre in tax. Although its upto him to declare how many litres he's used...

christopher watson said:
i have spoken to him on a few occasions, and he seems to think that as he already pays tax on the oil (for the chip shop) he doesnt have to pay again :chin:
What tax does he pay then? It can't be VAT, because oil sold for culinary purposes is zero-rated.

And if he was paying VAT for some bizarre reason, he would be claiming it back on his VAT return - so the cost to him is still zero.

So his argument is a :nono:

It's Road Fuel tax he has to pay.. Not VAT. I'll dig out the info.

Using SVO (Straight vegetable oil) you pay 47p per litre tax.. Which makes it about as expencive as normal diesel.. Cheers Gordon Brown :rolleyes:

Using Biodiesel or WVO (waste vegetable oil) you pay 27.1p per litre. Which makes it slightly cheaper than normal diesel, but takes effort to refine.

Back