Technical Uconnect compatible mobile phones

Currently reading:
Technical Uconnect compatible mobile phones

Iken

Does anyone know please if I have to buy a particular phone, or does it just need to have a certain Android system for me to be able to hear my text messages? I have a Fiat 500X with Uconnect.:confused:
Thank you for any help provided.

There are apps for both iPhone and Android phones, so up to you. There is no app for Mincrosoft phones, so if you want to run sat nav with live updates you need either a iPhone or android.

You can't have text messages read out if you have an IPhone. That function only works with Android.

This Uconnect is bazaar.
I have an iPhone 6. Had the car since Friday and assumed that the Uconnect app needed to be open in order for the head unit to work properly.
Today I discovered that is not the case.
I have been trying different tweaks since getting the car, the Uconnect app only seeming to work over Bluetooth so, frustratingly, not being able to use the full music features of the phone (playlists etc).
Today, accidentally forgot to open the app and Tomtom traffic still worked, as did the Tunein radio app.
So, connect it via USB and it still works, takes a minute or two to connect but traffic, radio and playlists all work.

Now, I am a bit of one for things looking just right, DSL Developments do various car cradles. I already have the active cradle for the phone so I just need the mount which I ordered last week.
Should look rather tidy once it is fitted, with the permanent dock in the car.

This Uconnect is bazaar.
I have an iPhone 6. Had the car since Friday and assumed that the Uconnect app needed to be open in order for the head unit to work properly.
Today I discovered that is not the case.
I have been trying different tweaks since getting the car, the Uconnect app only seeming to work over Bluetooth so, frustratingly, not being able to use the full music features of the phone (playlists etc).
Today, accidentally forgot to open the app and Tomtom traffic still worked, as did the Tunein radio app.
So, connect it via USB and it still works, takes a minute or two to connect but traffic, radio and playlists all work.

Now, I am a bit of one for things looking just right, DSL Developments do various car cradles. I already have the active cradle for the phone so I just need the mount which I ordered last week.
Should look rather tidy once it is fitted, with the permanent dock in the car.

And now it doesn't work. Forget what I have just written, got my hopes up for no reason. ?

Like I said before,everything works with an iPhone,music,calls,phone,volume etc but the reading out of text messages will not function. It's something to do with Apple. If you check the Jeep forums with the same head units it is the same. With an IPhone the text read out message icon is "greyed out" meaning it can't be accessed.

Like I said before,everything works with an iPhone,music,calls,phone,volume etc but the reading out of text messages will not function. It's something to do with Apple. If you check the Jeep forums with the same head units it is the same. With an IPhone the text read out message icon is "greyed out" meaning it can't be accessed.

That does work. Worked yesterday receiving two messages while driving. The screen gives two options, to either ignore the message or read it out.

Well I like to know how you have it working. It won't work on mine and even if I mess around with the settings it says the i phone is incompatible . If you google I phone and uconnect text messages no one has had it working?

How do I set up my phone to use Voice Texting?
This video will show you how to get started with Voice Texting. All you need to do is to pair a compatible phone and enable the phone's Bluetooth® Message Access Profile (MAP).
Please Note: Some smartphones, including iPhone® mobile devices, do not currently support Bluetooth MAP.

This is taken from the Fiat UK uconnect site.

Well I like to know how you have it working. It won't work on mine and even if I mess around with the settings it says the i phone is incompatible . If you google I phone and uconnect text messages no one has had it working?

No idea how. I was out yesterday, connected through the Uconnect app and I got two messages.
The messages arrived first on the phone then about 10 or so seconds later I got the notification on the screen in the car.
The phone was connected via Bluetooth, not aux port... iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1.
I didn't expect it, which is what made it so surprising. The first one was from work, the second reminding me I had a boiler service appointment later that day.

Interestingly, I can't access existing messages using the car and I have no idea how to reply, kinda gobsmacked they came through in the first place.

In addition to this, the car read the messages out loud.

On some of the jeep forums people were having initial success when they first paired their phones then after that it would stop working. Fiat seem to say it won't work with iPhones . You must be lucky!

I have this system which has this info....." Features
5-inch touchscreen
AM/FM radio
Aux/USB+ media hub with iPod® mobile device integration
Integrated Uconnect® Voice Command and Bluetooth®+
Voice text reply+(not compatible with iPhone® mobile devices)
Radio screen settings that complement vehicle personality with brand-specific themes and color combinations
eco:Drive
Speed-adjusted volume"

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1461667656.096488.jpg

Brodit cradle.

Some related questions re phones which I'm hoping some of you may be able to help with?

In my 2008 Alfa I managed to disconnect the Bluetooth function (both physically and in the Examiner) as my wife found herself being always unwell in the car( she cannot even be close to a mobile phone), it was down to the Bluetooth continually searching for a pairing even if there was not a phone enabled and Bluetooth being constantly 'on'.

We do not have this issue in the 500X as one has to pair Bluetooth up first. However it would be nice when I'm in the car alone, to get the Google maps satnav function.

Q1. If I pair up my android phone, will the car display show google maps if selected on the phone?
Q2. If once paired, will the car always be looking for my phone even if it is not on in the car or is it just when I press the phone icon on the car screen? Can I 'deselect my phone after use?

The obvious solution would be for me to try on my car but I don't want to pair it up and then find the Bluetooth is always on and I can't get rid of an activated Bluetooth.

Hope this makes sense, it does to me!

Q1- No. The 500x does not have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

Q2- The car will automatically try and connect to paired phones the moment it is switched on. This means it is always available as a hands free device.
You could deselect the phone after use by disabling the Bluetooth, however this is moving against what the hands free capability is for, so you don't interact with your phone directly whilst driving.

Q1- No. The 500x does not have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

Q2- The car will automatically try and connect to paired phones the moment it is switched on. This means it is always available as a hands free device.
You could deselect the phone after use by disabling the Bluetooth, however this is moving against what the hands free capability is for, so you don't interact with your phone directly whilst driving.

Thanks for the info and help, looks like I'll just plug my phone into the USB socket for power and use the phone screen as a sat nav on google maps. I certainly don't want to set the pairing off!

There's a Brodit mount that fits very well over the buttons bellow the radio for that.
Although I have the one with the satnav, I still prefer to use Waze. Depending on your phone, you can get a cradle with a mounted USB cable. Whilst not the cheapest option, certainly the more tidy one.

Was going to post a link, but it doesn't work.

Have a look at brodit.co.uk.

Last edited:
Back