Technical Turning over but wont fire.

Currently reading:
Technical Turning over but wont fire.

Mph28mph

Hi. Hope this is in the right place and apologies if its a bit long winded.
Daughters car 2006 1.2 punto that just won't fire.
I've had 2 mobile mechanics out and transported it to a garage and none can fix the issue.
The engine just turns over but will not fire, it sometimes kind of coughs as though it's going to start but doesn't.
So far I've been told the mechanics have changed the battery, the spark plugs and the bit where the spark plug leads go to.
I've now got the car on my drive and left to me with the help of the group to get her going.

Is there anything I should head to first like a known issue.
Thanks for any help in advance and apologies my first post is problem related

When key turned so warning lights come on after a few seconds Does the immobilser warning light go off?
Can you here the fuel pump in the fuel tank working for a couple of seconds when key turned so warning lights come on?
How many miles has car done?
Has someone put diesel in tank instead of petrol?

Where are you located?

When key turned so warning lights come on after a few seconds Does the immobilser warning light go off?
Can you here the fuel pump in the fuel tank working for a couple of seconds when key turned so warning lights come on?
How many miles has car done?
Has someone put diesel in tank instead of petrol?

Where are you located?
Thanks for replying so quickly.
Yes the light goes off and tried both keys.
Yes cam hear the pump.
It's done 96000
Hoping the 3 mechanics that have worked on it would notice if diesel had been put in, there is 3/4 tank full showing on the gauge.
The air box has been removed so guessing someone has tried easy start.

Good Lord it was returned to your granddaughter partially disassembled That is truly awful conduct.

Try easy start yourself , we have no idea what has been tried or not.

Are you member of aa rac etc?

The "mechanics" so far sound poor so we don't know if correct fuel type Checked

Good Lord it was returned to your granddaughter partially disassembled That is truly awful conduct.

Try easy start yourself , we have no idea what has been tried or not.

Are you member of aa rac etc?
Yeah came back like that, think they just read codes and couldn't fix it

Good point, plan to start from the beginning checking fuel and spark and go from there.
Just so we get a flavour of this...

What is your family's history with the car?
Run well for over a year, no major work done..
Or a recent purchase that has got progressively harder to start?

96k is enough to have significant wear and tear.. But.. As I said.. It's a common engine 80% of FIAT 500's and 60% of modern puntos all use it,

Head Gasket is top failure.. afterbasic missed servicing ( air filter and plugs..) is ruled out

A lot of these will now have had 8+ owners.. And been cheap used buys so corners have been cut... AND WE STILL don't see that many issues 🙂

Do check oil AND COOLANT levels and general look..

A long term issue is damp fusebox under bonnet(lid not fitted properly)

But I would just do basic checks before wading into the electrical side 😉

Let me know later today and we can move forward with this 👍

Just so we get a flavour of this...

What is your family's history with the car?
Run well for over a year, no major work done..
Or a recent purchase that has got progressively harder to start?

96k is enough to have significant wear and tear.. But.. As I said.. It's a common engine 80% of FIAT 500's and 60% of modern puntos all use it,

Head Gasket is top failure.. afterbasic missed servicing ( air filter and plugs..) is ruled out

A lot of these will now have had 8+ owners.. And been cheap used buys so corners have been cut... AND WE STILL don't see that many issues 🙂

Do check oil AND COOLANT levels and general look..

A long term issue is damp fusebox under bonnet(lid not fitted properly)

But I would just do basic checks before wading into the electrical side 😉

Let me know later today and we can move forward with this 👍
Sorry for the delay replying.
Back on it today so.
Had the car just over a year and zero issues in that time, car ran perfectly then just wouldn't start the next morning.
Ignoring what the mechanics have done I've checked all the plugs and a nice strong spark on each but they are a little oily and new (replaced by mech 1)
Removed air box and sprayed easystart in while cranking and just the same.
Under bonnet fuse box looks dry and clean with the cover off.
Wiring harness looks messy near fusebox, all tape removed (by mech) but can't see any damaged or broken wires.

Sorry for the delay replying.
Back on it today so.
Had the car just over a year and zero issues in that time, car ran perfectly then just wouldn't start the next morning.
Ignoring what the mechanics have done I've checked all the plugs and a nice strong spark on each but they are a little oily and new (replaced by mech 1)
Removed air box and sprayed easystart in while cranking and just the same.
Under bonnet fuse box looks dry and clean with the cover off.
Wiring harness looks messy near fusebox, all tape removed (by mech) but can't see any damaged or broken wires.

Are you able to access Cambelt, check timing?

Back