Technical I need brake pads but discs too?

Currently reading:
Technical I need brake pads but discs too?

I need new front brakes on one of my cars. The pads are thin and braking is sharper than I like. The discs are scratched in a couple of places and there's a small lip. I'd prefer not to change the discs really, what effect will this have?

Hi,

New pads on old discs.......braking effect will be much reduced because the new (flat) pads will only contact the high points on the evenly worn old discs. Until pads "bed in".

The new pads will take much much longer to "bed in " to the old discs.

If on a vehicle with a heavy braking driver the limited contact points will cause localized over heating of the pads , leading to poor braking and even longer bed in time.

If any side of old discs significantly corroded- fit new discs

If the discs are cheap - fit new discs

If you are not going to be the driver-fit new discs - think of everyone's safety.

The above is my opinion and others will disagree.

Best wishes

Jack

Hi,

New pads on old discs.......braking effect will be much reduced because the new (flat) pads will only contact the high points on the evenly worn old discs. Until pads "bed in".

The new pads will take much much longer to "bed in " to the old discs.

If on a vehicle with a heavy braking driver the limited contact points will cause localized over heating of the pads , leading to poor braking and even longer bed in time.

If any side of old discs significantly corroded- fit new discs

If the discs are cheap - fit new discs

If you are not going to be the driver-fit new discs - think of everyone's safety.

The above is my opinion and others will disagree.

Best wishes

Jack
Food for thought. The missus is mostly driving this car, and she says don't fit discs, because it'll be more expensive...

I'm now erring towards fit discs, but haven't looked at the cost yet. I haven't driven this car for a while and wasn't impressed with the braking, I can get used to it, but I no longer want to get used to it.

Have a look at price of discs at www.partsinmotion.co.uk
They're £28 for the pair. Pads are another £15 per pair. I'm going to put the discs on too, she won't care much either way.

I'll have to wait until I've sorted out the other cars EML problem, I can't have two cars off the road. It gives me a chance to buy the parts cheaply anyways, thanks for the info! :)

Back