Technical 3rd brake light strip

Currently reading:
Technical 3rd brake light strip

MRKJJ

Hello

I just got a new Led 3rd brake light strip from alibaba. I know for sure the original 3rd brake light was working but the issue with the new one is this. When I turn the car on it works once or twice when I hit the brakes and then it doesn't work at all. If I turn the car off and on again the same thing happens. I think it is getting rejected from the system. Do you have any idea how to fix it or diagnose this?

Thanks

Diagnose by comparison. Original VS counterfeit.
What's the light source (bulbs, LEDs), how many sources, what's the current consumption, internal structure (wiring diagram, schematic), any extra parts inside (besides light sources).

Maybe the problem is in the car (body computer, fuse/realy box, "grounds/earths"), not the lamp?

What was wrong with the old lamp? as I recall its a pretty simple construction of a row of normal incandescent bulbs in a holder there isn't really anything to go wrong or faulty, if the bulbs blow you just replace them....

So that being said is this new lamp some sort of cheap replacement that is LED or similar that is not actually properly designed to work on your car, either drawing way to much current or causing a short that is leading the body computer to isolate it to avoid damage to the rest of the body computer...

Remove the Alibaba crap and fit an OEM unit I guarantee your problems will go away.

But this is (should be) BASIC information about this car: you can't swap most bulbs for LEDs.
Because current draw is too low, Body Computer will go crazy or warn you about faulty bulb.
Plus, LED lamps can be one directional (like a rectifying diode), messing with the system even more...

Back