Technical Passenger door mirror not working but not faulty...

Currently reading:
Technical Passenger door mirror not working but not faulty...

Punto669

Hello,

My passenger door mirror has stopped working when I try to adjust it from the driver door control.
Driver side mirror is working ok.

What I have done;
1. Removed the pax mirror connector and with a multimeter checked the pins. There are 4 pins which go to 12v when the adjuster is pressed in one of the directions.
I understand this is a 'dirty' test as the mirror unit has 2 motors and I'm only testing a single pin at a time.
But this shows something is being sent/happening on 4 pins at some point in pressing the adjustor pad.

2. I then removed the pax mirror unit and plugged it into the drivers side - and it WORKS!
So I am assuming the mirror motor unit is working as expected.

So what is wrong?
4 pins on the connector are receiving 12v at some point in pressing the adjuster in one of the 4 directions.
But something isn't working correctly/somewhere to send the correct combination of voltage or a signal it needs to mirror ( :D ) the presses on the adjustor pad.

Next I wanted to look at the connector between body & door - but I don't know how to disconnect it - can anybody tell me the correct way so I don't end up with a broken connector?

Suggestions for what to look at/test next very welcome.

Thanks,

Mark

Update: I've disconnected the body to door connector and it looks absolutely fine inside.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram which shows the driver door control circuit? Or pinout of the mirror control pad/buttons?

Before I take it apart - do they fail internally?

I took the switch apart and all contacts look good and have continuity back to the pins.
There is what looks like remnants of some sort of grease - could be dried up in spots. What sort of grease would this be in a multi contact switch - dielectric?

I also tried tracing the wiring from the switch connector to the mirror connector and got continuity from pin 5 of the switch connector to 3 pins on the mirror connector (1,6&7).
With ignition on the mirror connector was showing fluctuating voltage of 2.50v-2.80v on pin 1(neg) & 2(pos).

Going to check the wiring diagram and look at it again with switch connected.

switch2.jpg switch1.jpg

try the other mirror on tthe iffy wiring. . Surely there are more tha 4 wires? try contact cleaner spray too. then look for poor/ loose connections in the plug and mirror.

My recollection was 6 wires..
2 for the Glass Heater Pad (remainder for positioning control)
Mirror side has a 7 point connector and control module end has a 12 hole connector - but not all have a contact in them.
To make things more interesting the mirror module has just 8 pins coming out the back of it.
Well I know the mirror works fine as I tried it on the drivers door.

I've looked up the wiring diagram on eLearn and it looks like 4 connections per side. So I'll stick the module back in and compare outputs with the drivers side.
switch3.jpg

Live and earth for the mirror heating element and 6 wires for the motors which I would expect for be two common earths one per motor and two lives one for up and the other for down one for in the other for out 8 in all. Could be 7 if the two motor earths are on one pin and 6 ifthe earth also includes the heater element earth. Tends to agree with what you found. The fact that it stopeed working (and the 7 pins) suggests the most likely place to look is the joint earth. or the pin with two wires connected as it seems unlikely that several wires would develop a fault at the same time so this is the most likely culprit maybe.

My recollection was 6 wires..
2 for the Glass Heater Pad (remainder for positioning control)
This sounds about right from memory.

Live and earth for the mirror heating element and 6 wires for the motors which I would expect for be two common earths one per motor and two lives one for up and the other for down one for in the other for out 8 in all. Could be 7 if the two motor earths are on one pin and 6 ifthe earth also includes the heater element earth. Tends to agree with what you found. The fact that it stopeed working (and the 7 pins) suggests the most likely place to look is the joint earth. or the pin with two wires connected as it seems unlikely that several wires would develop a fault at the same time so this is the most likely culprit maybe.
I removed the body to door connector and now have a broken locking tab due to brittle plastic. All pins & contacts look in good condition.
Only got continuity on 2-3 pins if I remember correctly and no sensible looking -/+ readings.
So currently suspecting possible fault with internal door loom.
Did you figure this out?
Not yet and leaving it for now :(

Back