Technical Timing Belt

Currently reading:
Technical Timing Belt

Syferbob

Hi all, I have had a look around & can't see a definite answer so though I would ask.

Towards the end of last year we purchased a Weinsberg van conversion based on a 2010 Ducato L3/H2 2.3 120. It was 1 owner & I was assured it was fully serviced & the bills are there for a service every year with the mileage shown going up the same 4000ish miles every year - oil, filters, brakes & fluid, tyres, along with a few repairs all at the same place are all there but there is no evidence of timing belt change. I have since been in contact with the guy who assures me it was done - no reason to doubt him but I am still paranoid as there is no receipt.......

We have not used the van much at all with all this crap going on so have been working on it for a while however, I am now looking to book it in for a new belt along with service & MOT ASAP &t was wondering:

Does the water pump get changed at the same time?
Do any other belts get changed at the same time & if so - what are they?
How often is a diesel & air filter required?

Lastly - how long would you expect the above to take & of course - how much should I be looking at roughly?

Regards,

Bob.

Hi all, I have had a look around & can't see a definite answer so though I would ask.

Towards the end of last year we purchased a Weinsberg van conversion based on a 2010 Ducato L3/H2 2.3 120. It was 1 owner & I was assured it was fully serviced & the bills are there for a service every year with the mileage shown going up the same 4000ish miles every year - oil, filters, brakes & fluid, tyres, along with a few repairs all at the same place are all there but there is no evidence of timing belt change. I have since been in contact with the guy who assures me it was done - no reason to doubt him but I am still paranoid as there is no receipt.......

We have not used the van much at all with all this crap going on so have been working on it for a while however, I am now looking to book it in for a new belt along with service & MOT ASAP &t was wondering:

Does the water pump get changed at the same time?
Do any other belts get changed at the same time & if so - what are they?
How often is a diesel & air filter required?

Lastly - how long would you expect the above to take & of course - how much should I be looking at roughly?

Regards,

Bob.
What is current total miles?

Yes you absolutely want to ask for the water pump to be changed at the same time as the belt kit: idlers, tensioner and belt. You don't know if it was done last time.

I don't know how long it will take as its a 10 year old van and you can't tell what age related problems or other people's errors crop up.

It's more work than a standard car as the water pump is quite large and other items have to come off to gain access.

I would change diesel filter 20,000miles or every 2 years absolute max , you don't want microbes growing in your diesel system.

Air filter 30,000 miles or before if it looks mouldy due to age.

Brake fluid change every two years.

Coolant change every 5 years.

Last edited:
Yes you absolutely want to ask for the water pump to be changed at the same time as the belt kit: idlers, tensioner and belt. You don't know if it was done last time.

I don't know how long it will take as its a 10 year old van and you can't tell what age related problems or other people's errors crop up.

It's more work than a standard car as the water pump is quite large and other items have to come off to gain access.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

I will make sure the pump is changed at the same time *Edit & also make sure to do the brake fluid & coolant is done along with all filters!

Are the belts & pulleys & stuff supplied as a kit & changed every time or do I specifically ask for the whole lot to be changed

I appreciate that there are unforeseen factors at play - 10 year old & all - was just trying to get a rough price in my head before I start calling round for quotes........

Regards.

Last edited:
I think when you ring round best to specify you want the belt , belt tensioner , idlers pulley/s and water pump replaced. That way there is no misunderstanding.

Last week I did cam belt etc replacement(diesel vw) because owner didn't know when it was last done. Turned out from date marking on parts it was changed in 2017 but as it was mostly all apart by then it made no sense not to replace again.

I think when you ring round best to specify you want the belt , belt tensioner , idlers pulley/s and water pump replaced. That way there is no misunderstanding.

Last week I did cam belt etc replacement(diesel vw) because owner didn't know when it was last done. Turned out from date marking on parts it was changed in 2017 but as it was mostly all apart by then it made no sense not to replace again.

Well I suppose it is better safe than sorry - it is an expensive fix if it fails!!

I will make sure I specify the whole lot, at least coolant will be cheaper if they are doing the water pump :).

Thanks for your time, much appreciated.

Back