General Idtd timing belt for a 99 reg

Currently reading:
General Idtd timing belt for a 99 reg

gwgw

Hi everyone, I’m trying to get a timing belt kit for Motorhome. It’s a 1999 reg T923KEC , 2.8 idtd type engine. I’m sure this is a different belt to the Jtd engine. Has anyone changed theirs and still has a part/reference number or anything that might help locate one.
Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, I’m trying to get a timing belt kit for Motorhome. It’s a 1999 reg T923KEC , 2.8 idtd type engine. I’m sure this is a different belt to the Jtd engine. Has anyone changed theirs and still has a part/reference number or anything that might help locate one.
Thanks in advance.

What info does the ePER parts manual list?

Thanks for reply, but it looks like i need the vin no. I'll have to wait untill Monday as i'm not home at the moment.
I have literally just done mine within the last two weeks . I used a Gates kit complete with , belt , both idler wheels , and a new tensioner . The kit is widely available , if not a little expensive . My local motorist centre , sourced this without issue . I could get the part number , but this method is extremely dangerous , and something i would never recommend to anyone . It is a vital part for the engine , and should a mistake occur , it could prove terminal for the engine .
And yes , you're quite correct the JTD engine does use a different belt to the IDTD . I believe the Jtd water pump is driven by this belt , whereas the Idtd is not , but i can only confirm that the Idtd water pump is not .

If you van is a left hooker , then yes it is highly likely , a vin number will likely be required . Mine was imported in 2006 , despite a 2000 build , originally with a German registration plate . My new British plate has never shown on any part's computer , as i'm guessing , it's not the original registration mark .

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I’ve currently got my mate/mechanic on the case. As soon as it’s sorted I’ll post my findings, once again thank you.

I have literally just done mine within the last two weeks . I used a Gates kit complete with , belt , both idler wheels , and a new tensioner . The kit is widely available , if not a little expensive . My local motorist centre , sourced this without issue . I could get the part number , but this method is extremely dangerous , and something i would never recommend to anyone . It is a vital part for the engine , and should a mistake occur , it could prove terminal for the engine .
And yes , you're quite correct the JTD engine does use a different belt to the IDTD . I believe the Jtd water pump is driven by this belt , whereas the Idtd is not , but i can only confirm that the Idtd water pump is not .

If you van is a left hooker , then yes it is highly likely , a vin number will likely be required . Mine was imported in 2006 , despite a 2000 build , originally with a German registration plate . My new British plate has never shown on any part's computer , as i'm guessing , it's not the original registration mark .
For information, I can confirm that the 2.8jtd belt has 152 teeth, at least that was the length the belt that came off, and which matched my replacement. I have previously confirmed this on forum, for a member who had been supplied with a 154 tooth belt. Does the 2.8idTD use a 154 tooth belt? Perhaps one of the other members could confirm this. I used an SKF kit VKMA02383, which included idler and tension rollers.

On the 2.8jtd the water pump is driven by the auxilliary belt, the same as on the 2.8 idTD, from which the 2.8jtd was derived.

Hi , just thought i'd update as it might help someone locate the 2.8 idtd belt.
The kit i used was a Gates K025495XS i got this online from Autodoc £100 inc delivery.
Cheers all.

On the 2.8jtd the water pump is driven by the auxilliary belt, the same as on the 2.8 idTD, from which the 2.8jtd was derived.
Thanks for that @Communicator: . I was uncertain , i'd been told it was driven from the timing belt . However i'd never seen any evidence to back this up , and as mine is an idtd , didn't feel the need to look any further . Yes you are quite correct , the jtd is derived from the idtd , which in turn , owes it's original design to the earlier 2.5 . However the timing belt arrangement is different from the earlier 2.8 , which has the same arrangement as the 2.5 . I believe the belt is shorter than the jtd , but i know it's a different belt . I've got an old belt here , so i'll have a count of the teeth a little later on , and get back to you .

Thanks for that @Communicator: . I was uncertain , i'd been told it was driven from the timing belt . However i'd never seen any evidence to back this up , and as mine is an idtd , didn't feel the need to look any further . Yes you are quite correct , the jtd is derived from the idtd , which in turn , owes it's original design to the earlier 2.5 . However the timing belt arrangement is different from the earlier 2.8 , which has the same arrangement as the 2.5 . I believe the belt is shorter than the jtd , but i know it's a different belt . I've got an old belt here , so i'll have a count of the teeth a little later on , and get back to you .
If you have any "Snowpake" or similar fluid handy, it helps if you mark every tenth tooth.

On the idTD the pump pulley will have to match the camshaft pulley. This constraint is not present on the jtd, so pulley for pump etc can be different, hence possibility of different belt length.

Last edited:
If you have any "Snowpake" or similar fluid handy, it helps if you mark every tenth tooth.

On the idTD the pump pulley will have to match the camshaft pulley. This constraint is not present on the jtd, so pulley for pump etc can be different, hence possibility of different belt length.
Well , i'll be honest , you've gone a little over my head with that explanation , i assume you are talking in terms of diameter . Anyway i can confirm the idtd does in fact use a 154tooth belt . That also matches the one i removed , plus a second , that i had brought first , that didn't have any idler wheels or tensioner . I had already sourced a new tensioner , but that was also before i saw the state of the vibration damper .

Actual belt markings are 154 (i assume tooth count and confirming my count) x30mm , which i confirmed is the actual width of the belt .

Well , i'll be honest , you've gone a little over my head with that explanation , i assume you are talking in terms of diameter . Anyway i can confirm the idtd does in fact use a 154tooth belt . That also matches the one i removed , plus a second , that i had brought first , that didn't have any idler wheels or tensioner . I had already sourced a new tensioner , but that was also before i saw the state of the vibration damper .

Actual belt markings are 154 (i assume tooth count and confirming my count) x30mm , which i confirmed is the actual width of the belt .
Thanks for the info. With the joint input we can now confirm:

1. 2.8idTD timing belt 154 teeth.
2. 2.8jtd timing belt 152 teeth.

I have read of the wrong belt being supplied, hence my counting the actual number of teeth. I had previously only copied timing marks between belts.

Thanks for the info. With the joint input we can now confirm:

1. 2.8idTD timing belt 154 teeth.
2. 2.8jtd timing belt 152 teeth.

I have read of the wrong belt being supplied, hence my counting the actual number of teeth. I had previously only copied timing marks between belts.
I think so , and the interesting thing is , the idtd belt appears to actually be the longer one . I was told it's the other way round . This is the reason i won't quote actual part numbers for this kind of thing . I always try to help others , but this kind of advice comes at huge risk .
I did have a problem with my pneumatic headlight leveller replacement . I ended up with two , when the supplier confused the part numbers . The first one did fit , but none of the markings lined up with the dash stops . Problem is , it's a German supplier and non-returnable , so i'm stuck with it .
Another interesting fact is that my van appears to use a shorter fan belt . I have a 910x6 ply , and assume the jtd uses a longer one . The reason i found that out , was because i brought a new belt for mine and it was too big , i ended up going online for an exact copy . A few of the spares i've brought have been for the jtd , and still fitted . It was lucky the markings on the old belt were still readable . But it should be noted , i don't have air-con , or a power steering pulley . My power steering must be driven internally in some way , though it possible , it could be for an air-con equipped motor .
The idtd is often referred to as a tdi in the listings .

Most of my involvement with the 2.8 Sofim engine was on Iveco Dailys the tensioner and guide bearing diameters changed over time which affected belt size also, so ideally match with old parts if possible as will affect belt length.
The water pump holds the tensioner spring for cam belt so need to be sure it is not sticking, Ducatos vary from Iveco Daily in using as engine mount from memory as Daily is RWD. Water pump pulley will need to come off but is not driven by cam belt.
Power steering pump was driven from the injector pump assembly.
Other point some have problems with is the order of the spacer through the cam belt cover as can affect the action of the cam belt tensioner.
I do have the cambelt timing details in a Auto Data Manual if of use.

Back