General The Cold Weather

Currently reading:
General The Cold Weather

I've heard that when you're driving through snow, you should turn your ASr off because it won't allow ant wheel spin that is necesary for snow driving but this is only when you're actualy driving through deep snow.
When the roads havn't got thick snow it's always advisable to keep you're ASR on, especially if there can be some ice, because it'll prevent your wheels spinning which makes one loose control of their car.
In fact, you should always have your ASR on and if you really encounter problems
(like your car won't move cause the wheels are spinning and the ASR won't allow them to do so), then and only then should you turn the ASR off.
Hope this helps (y)

I must admit, when conditions dictate, I turn off the ASR and drive the car as it should be driven!

But atm, roads are too wet.....and I need better, grippy tyres....

asr is left on all the time here. I tried it in the snow last year, It was interesting, it wouldnt let you go nuts but kept the wheels at a controlable level

No ASR on my car, but i find automotive nanny state a bit annoying. If you can't drive in snow or ice, you shouldn't be driving, not relying on driving aides.

For slow manouvering, 2nd or 3rd gear, high revs, use the clutch for motive control not the accelerator, you'll never get stuck.

I actually prefer some wheel spin when i pull away from a junction quickly, but then if you use the throttle correctly you don't need ASR your foot does it for you, delecately balancing between too much throttle and just enough throttle for max getaway velocity.

StiloBoy said:
I actually prefer some wheel spin when i pull away from a junction quickly, but then if you use the throttle correctly you don't need ASR your foot does it for you, delecately balancing between too much throttle and just enough throttle for max getaway velocity.

Tips & Tricks of a Getaway driver ;)

StiloBoy said:

You must go through some amount of tyres in the mighty 1.2! :)

paulmacs said:
ASR has never prevented me from pulling away without wheel spin from a junction in a hurry.
Very true indeed - pulling away from junctions, with power ;), means I always get spin if I boot it.

I find ASR comes into its own when the car is being driven at speed on wet roads - as I drive through puddles, I can feel the car compensating as the ASR light flashes. Yet the car always stays in a straight line, and feels under control.

Thats weird, I have never had wheel spin when pulling out fast (from a junction, your minds in the gutter again Stu) with ASR on ? What tyres you got on yours guys ?
I tried the Auto redline jobby on my car yesterday Stu, WHOOOWHOOOOO.
OMG I was doin 70 in second before it changed up to third and went off again like it just got a kick up the ass. Unbelievable ;)
and that sound :cool:

What's ASR?

Gave myself a bit of a thrill the other day, pulled out onto a large 4 lane roundabout the other day from a standing start and found myself doing a rally style reverse lock power slide around most of it. :eek: :woot:
Don't think the ppl in the other 3 lanes were too impressed though. ;)

KoArAnG said:
Thats weird, I have never had wheel spin when pulling out fast (from a junction, your minds in the gutter again Stu) with ASR on ? What tyres you got on yours guys ?
I tried the Auto redline jobby on my car yesterday Stu, WHOOOWHOOOOO.
OMG I was doin 70 in second before it changed up to third and went off again like it just got a kick up the ass. Unbelievable ;)
and that sound :cool:
Not from every junction, it does depend on which way the wheels are pointing when I squirt it. And the roads I use tend to be very slippy.

My tyres are some crappy Pirelli P7s - I am not convinced, and will be swapping to some decent tyres once these get used up [I am working on it].

Yep, Manual mode and booting it is great fun - at some point, you are thinking when will it ever end, but up it does change, and onwards it goes. Although can't recall hitting 70 in 2nd though - maybe just a bit under.

You ought to hear the sound with the CDA on; can't beat it......

Im going to leave my asr on from now on then, unless its real deep snow?! They only time ive really felt it work is when ive gone through some puddles; then all lights start flashin at me! The only over time i made it go off was when i was really hammering it and when on some little hump back bridge thingy and got the front wheels slightly off the ground.

Yer mine only flashes when im giving her a good running around, 'ye old country' roads! Like say when you go thru a puddle; and the asr is working! Does your car judder, i take that bcos the wheel is being thrown about, back into position! Cos tht wht mine does jus checkin tht wht it should be doin really?!

Yep, at speed through a puddle, the car judders; presumably as the power is being redirected. One thing, the car always remains stable and in a straight line.

BTW, my daily commute is about 15 miles of country lanes, then a quick blat round some dual carriageways with loads of roundabouts - great fun :D

15k miles, original tyres, its not like i wheel spin out of every junction, only when traffic is tight!

Yeah i suppose ASR can be good when driving in puddles. Me personally i drive round puddles, afterall why would you want muddy water splashing into un-cleanable parts of your car, it'll just lead to rust. When its a puddle right across the road i slow down, to this date i've not hit a puddle right across the road after a blind corner. I'll let you know what happens....... assuming i survive! ;)

StiloBoy said:
15k miles, original tyres, its not like i wheel spin out of every junction, only when traffic is tight!

Yeah i suppose ASR can be good when driving in puddles. Me personally i drive round puddles, afterall why would you want muddy water splashing into un-cleanable parts of your car, it'll just lead to rust. When its a puddle right across the road i slow down, to this date i've not hit a puddle right across the road after a blind corner. I'll let you know what happens....... assuming i survive! ;)

Never driven back from cuper on the road that goes through kennoway? :)
damn that entire road floods at times, but then nobody in thier right mind would go speeding though a puddle the size of a large pond :)

Back