Technical Can I reach the heater motor without removing first?

Currently reading:
Technical Can I reach the heater motor without removing first?

GLC

Hi all,

My heater motor has started making a slight noise when in use, which I suspect is down to dry bearings. On my Vauxhall it was easily sorted by spraying the motor with silicone spray, unfortunately I'm already aware of how much of pita the heater motor is to remove completely. So does anybody know if I can gain enough access to it with having to remove it in situ? Thanks.

Hi all,

My heater motor has started making a slight noise when in use, which I suspect is down to dry bearings. On my Vauxhall it was easily sorted by spraying the motor with silicone spray, unfortunately I'm already aware of how much of pita the heater motor is to remove completely. So does anybody know if I can gain enough access to it with having to remove it in situ? Thanks.
Just a guess , but if you can't remove a plastic vent before the fan motor , is it possible with fan on fast to spray oil via the pollen filter aperture.
It sounds like a messy job though;)

Reactions: GLC
Hi all,

Having pulled mine out a few months ago I would say no, You will need to pull it out sadly.

Just a guess , but if you can't remove a plastic vent before the fan motor , is it possible with fan on fast to spray oil via the pollen filter aperture.
It sounds like a messy job though;)
Thank's. That not a bad shout but doubt my spray can would reach it. I'll definitely take a look at it though.
Having pulled mine out a few months ago I would say no, You will need to pull it out sadly.
Oh dear, I feared as much! How did you go about it if you don't mind me asking?

Thank's. That not a bad shout but doubt my spray can would reach it. I'll definitely take a look at it though.

Oh dear, I feared as much! How did you go about it if you don't mind me asking?
Well first tie your clutch pedal to the brake shaft on the bulkhead, Next take out the bolt holding the steering column to the Steering rack joint and move to one side. Then somehow find all three screws/bolts holding the motor to the casing and remove them. Then pull out and you may well be able to squirt some oil or wd40 in whilst it's still in that gap if not then remove the plug and cuss and swear whilst trying to remove it from said little gap.
There is a post somewhere recent about it.

• Thanks
If spraying, the addage is a large volume of air moving slowly works best so try the blower on medium and use a vacuum cleaner on a vent out let to pull air as well as the fan. I have a similar problem with our 169 Panda and will try this and see what happens. Risk is coating the entire system and attracting htings to stick to the inside of the heater pipework. I may try drilling into the fan housing and using a spray nozzle extension tube. Plug up after with a blob of silicon.

Well first tie your clutch pedal to the brake shaft on the bulkhead, Next take out the bolt holding the steering column to the Steering rack joint and move to one side. Then somehow find all three screws/bolts holding the motor to the casing and remove them. Then pull out and you may well be able to squirt some oil or wd40 in whilst it's still in that gap if not then remove the plug and cuss and swear whilst trying to remove it from said little gap.
There is a post somewhere recent about it.

I meant a couple of threads on page two that you might find useful.

Thank's, hopefully I can avoid having to completely remove and unplug it from it's housing. As that way I can have the motor spinning while giving it a generous coating.

If spraying, the addage is a large volume of air moving slowly works best so try the blower on medium and use a vacuum cleaner on a vent out let to pull air as well as the fan. I have a similar problem with our 169 Panda and will try this and see what happens. Risk is coating the entire system and attracting htings to stick to the inside of the heater pipework. I may try drilling into the fan housing and using a spray nozzle extension tube. Plug up after with a blob of silicon.

Thank's for the suggestion and good luck with the Panda. Hopefully they are better located than the Stilo, as we have a 169 Panda 4X4 in the family too!

Fortunately I've not had to pull a Stilo fan, but in the past on other cars the only answer was to get it out and get it running hot wired off of a battery both forward and reverse with liberal amounts of WD90 spray. That has meant (worse case on a SDI Vitesse) unbolting and raising the dash a few inches to get the fan unit out (it wasn't a quick job) :cool:.

Last time was on an SLK (where the fan unit cost the earth for a RHD replacement), and in that instance stripping and spraying did work well, but its usually a hell of a job and good luck with your efforts (y).

• Thanks
Back