Swerved to avoid a cyslist, allot of damaged caused, best course of action?

Currently reading:
Swerved to avoid a cyslist, allot of damaged caused, best course of action?

I got told off for directing traffic at an accident by the traffic officer that attended as i could be seen as liable if someone had a crash whilst i was directing them.......

Strange, I've been told that if need be I can get the public to do traffic control if they are happy to do it. Frees me up to do something else if need be.

I don't think I would have swerved tbh. I am aware of cyclist's and do allow them room as I do motorcyclists but if any one of them did something stupid.... hey that's their problem IMO.

You've lost out and incurred cost due to someone else's stupidity / ignorence. Ironic thing is if you did hit him you'd have been better off :rolleyes:

In Italy, my brother hit an old bloke (driving another car). The silly duffer came across a dual carriageway from a side road without stopping or looking & my bro broadsided him. It was 100% clear from the scene with skid marks impact damage etc that it was the old bloke's fault.

Now the good bit: My bro tried to stop and avoid the crash. His ABS allowed him to steer but he still hit the other car behind the driver's seat. The old driver died 2 weeks later probably due to ill health but under IT law it was assumed to have been caused by the accident. No medical evidence was used to show that the accident was at worst only contributary to his death.

My bro was prosecuted for manslaughter, yet if he had not attempted to stop and had actually killed both people in the other car he would have got away scot free. It took 3 years with lots of lies from the other side and eventually he got away with a civil penalty. Yet it was never his fault and the police at the scene said he had done all that was humanly possible to avoid the other driver.

Be thankful it was not prosecuted in Modena.

(I am not defending either party here, merely sharing an opinion/observation)So many cyclists on the road take liberties. My other half is a cat 2 British cyclist( as well as being a cartographer and Army PTI) and he's constantly shouting at cyclists that think the rules of the road don't apply to them.

With regards to insurance, he already pays it for his car, and then accident cover for him and his bike, and then separate cover for his racing licence...so many cyclists on the road give others a bad name and it's frustrating.

The only time he upsets car drivers is when he sets of speed cameras in 30 and 40 mph limits.:)

He got knocked off his bike on the cat and fiddle in March by some Idiot in a car that didn't even bother stopping.
It cost £4000 for a new road race bike, and he couldn't train for 3 weeks because of the amount of skin missing from his leg.

I think us car drivers should be more lenient with cyclists(or at least give them room to fall off when passing them!!) after being out on a few motor pacing sessions with Mike, I cant help notice that a lot of car drivers have no clue how to act round cyclists.
As for the damage to your car, I feel for you, and the cyclist was of course in the wrong...I say you should have hit him...cyclists that don't observe the rules of the road deserve to get hit by cars.(and they are softer than kerbs).it might teach them to stop being such ignorant sods!

Why do i use the road rather than the "cycle path" would you fancy your chances along this section with the number of drive ways and narrow pavement i couldn't live with myself if i was on the cycle path and a little old lady walked out of her garden gate and i hit her at 15 mph

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...toEh6czVSmQzaOA1ZVFRTw&cbp=12,153.94,,0,21.65

that and you get clever motorists parking half on the pavement visiting those houses on the left god knows how people in wheel chairs and with prams get past

any cyclist on the forum have a laugh at some of these:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/July2004.htm

also there is a 20 mph speed limit on cycle paths, any pro cyclist out training can get up to 70mph(dependent on tailwind etc.)

I bet there are two types of cyclists - those with driving licences, who tend to be more aware of the road, cars, drivers...

...and those who are anti-car, cycle everywhere (City cyclists come to mind, the London commuters) and basically don't give a hoot about rules of the road.

I could be wrong mind you - but seeing that this is a car forum, there are quite a few keen cyclists on here whom, I believe, aren't like the guy in the OP.

also there is a 20 mph speed limit on cycle paths, any pro cyclist out training can get up to 70mph(dependent on tailwind etc.)

Since when not seen that "law"

got a link to it anywhere or is it just hear say

How can i know im doing 20 mph i have no speedo

Speed limits only apply to motor vehicles

I'll admit to going through red lights. If a pedestrian can do it, then I can too ... :p

if caught ben you could claim it (your bike) is an aid to pedestrianism (do wheel chair users and mothers pushing prams have to stop (dont think it will work tho ;) )

Last edited:
I don't think I would have swerved tbh. I am aware of cyclist's and do allow them room as I do motorcyclists but if any one of them did something stupid.... hey that's their problem IMO.

You've lost out and incurred cost due to someone else's stupidity / ignorence. Ironic thing is if you did hit him you'd have been better off :rolleyes:

Been there done that. Kicked the twit after stalling the car to jerk him off my windscreen.
I have no sympathy for them now days. They seem to be everywhere with no regard for drivers and their cars. Ive lost count of how many people have been hit because they havnt stopped to look across my street.

Last edited:
There are laws governing the behaviour of all classes of road users, but they are really only split into two groups: Drivers/riders and pedestrians. There are of course horse riders and drivers of horse drawn vehicles but they are such a small group that unless there is an accident little or no action would be taken.

Car drivers and motorcyclists must have motor insurance by law but there is no such requirement for other road users so when there is an incident caused by a cyclist or pedestrian.....I would suggest that the innocent driver is on his or her own.

Back