Swerved to avoid a cyslist, allot of damaged caused, best course of action?

Currently reading:
Swerved to avoid a cyslist, allot of damaged caused, best course of action?

FFS cant believe it, so gutted for you..dont know what to say but it seems that people in general these days lack basic common sense..i bet if he had been killed we'd no doubt be hearing how sad it is and crucifying the driver.

Is it possible to get cycling insurance?

yes you can CTC and british cycling both sell policys Having it works in both ways if you damage a car your covered... and if your knocked off by a car they fight your corner.....

also didn't the cyclist leave the scene of the accident or does that not count for them?

Nope not a motor vehicle......

suppose they're just there to show "police presence"....

they kept saying "its best to leave the traffic to its self, they will sort themselves out"....i some how doubt it when my car was blocking a main artery for ANYONE going from wood green or bounds green going to ally-pally or haringey....

i ended up as a trffic controlelr for 40 odd mins b4 real police arrived, PCSO wouldn't even park there car to with lights on as a "warning" (n)

I got told off for directing traffic at an accident by the traffic officer that attended as i could be seen as liable if someone had a crash whilst i was directing them.......

No help what so ever but I see on a daily basis very bad/dangerous cyclists, but as said if you are unlucky enough to collide with one, it doesn't matter a jot if it's the cyclist fault 100%. The big bad driver is always at fault. :eek:

Very little you can do when someone on a bike decides to make a manoeuvre that beggars belief in front of you.

Again there are inconsiderate drivers who are a danger to cyclists, but obviously this is the other side of the coin so to speak. Personally I have seen so many changes in driving/cycling styles since I started driving,(that wasn't yesterday:D) I'm both a cyclist & a driver, but it does make me wonder when "some" cyclists take dangerous chances knowing only too well they have very little protection full stop.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car! I think cyclists are very dangerous and think the road belongs to them only.
I have had a few near misses with them when it is more there fault and they a swearing and everything. I also think that cyslists should be liable for some of the accidents they cause as motorists seem to be ruled by cyclyist now.

Hope your car is back up and running soon as its the best Stilio I've ever seen! (y)

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car! I think cyclists are very dangerous and think the road belongs to them only.
I have had a few near misses with them when it is more there fault and they a swearing and everything. I also think that cyslists should be liable for some of the accidents they cause as motorists seem to be ruled by cyclyist now.

Hope your car is back up and running soon as its the best Stilio I've ever seen! (y)

lol,most cyclists will see that as a daily event with car drivers

i agree, there are bad on both sides

but the motorists can and are regularly held accountable, i disagree with the severe leniency towards cyclists. such a vulnerable thing has a large potential to cause allot of damage (financial and physical) wheras a car crash (low speed) is just going to be financial...

it should be, thanks (y) im not planning on letting it die... :)

Last edited:
bsuch a vulnerable thing has a large potential to cause allot of damage (financial and physical) wheras a car crash (low speed) is just going to be financial...

so a car crashing into me on the pavement as i walk is only going to hit me in my pocket :confused:

Pedestrian casualties 2001-09

Killed by cycles: 18
Seriously injured by cycles: 434
Killed by cars: 3,495
Seriously injured by cars: 46,245

Figures apply to Great Britain. Source: Department for Transport

fair play, but i was referring to road - road collisions, not to pedestrians, it goes without saying a car is far more dangerous than i cycle. but that doesn't negate the fact that cyclists have the ability to make something much more dangerous than themselves (car, van, truck) cause a serious amount of damage...then just ride away without so much as a second glance....(apologies if i appear a little bitter)

it will be VERY hard, but there should be some way to at least keep track of them....

i agree, there are bad on both sides

but the motorists can and are regularly held accountable, i disagree with the severe leniency towards cyclists. such a vulnerable thing has a large potential to cause allot of damage (financial and physical) wheras a car crash (low speed) is just going to be financial...

it should be, thanks (y) im not planning on letting it die... :)

just see the hoops this member had to jump through to get a Car driver convicted after he hit his car deliberately....

https://www.fiatforum.com/leisure-lounge/220011-road-rage.html

if the trouble he went to is anything to go by its going to be even harder in your case......

Anyway dont need to worry about me jumping a red light on my bike if its red i just ride on the pavement :devil:

(the pavement on our street is a combined pedestrian and cycle path before anyone jumps on me)

Why do i use the road rather than the "cycle path" would you fancy your chances along this section with the number of drive ways and narrow pavement i couldn't live with myself if i was on the cycle path and a little old lady walked out of her garden gate and i hit her at 15 mph

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...toEh6czVSmQzaOA1ZVFRTw&cbp=12,153.94,,0,21.65

that and you get clever motorists parking half on the pavement visiting those houses on the left god knows how people in wheel chairs and with prams get past

any cyclist on the forum have a laugh at some of these:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/July2004.htm

Last edited:
I got told off for directing traffic at an accident by the traffic officer that attended as i could be seen as liable if someone had a crash whilst i was directing them.......

Strange... when i was first on scene of an accident, recently i was directing traffic, and when the 5-0 turned up, they gave me and the other chap their flourescent jackets to keep doing it until more dibble turned up as they were busy with the pissed up clown and a buggered lamp post

Pedestrian casualties 2001-09

Killed by cycles: 18
Seriously injured by cycles: 434
Killed by cars: 3,495
Seriously injured by cars: 46,245

Figures apply to Great Britain. Source: Department for Transport

I'm curious. In how many of these cases was the car driver at fault. Does the study make any distinction between idiots on foot and idiots in cars/on bikes?

As a regular cyclist, I think people fail to appreciate just how dangerous it is out there....

Our roads are so bad that you do fairly often have to swerve out to avoid a sunken drain / pothole / chasm of doom etc....

This is why you should always give a cyclist plenty of room....Not speed past at 70mph barely six inches from their right elbow!

I would say, on a normal ride on a country A-road, that one in five drivers pass too close....If you think cyclists are dangerous to cars, you should try riding along a main road with these nutters skimming past!

I don't have insurance other than for theft etc. but then why should I? Pedestrians don't have to have it and they are more than capable of causing an accident....As are horse-riders but that's another matter!

Now in the OP's situation, the cyclist was clearly breaking the law and should be held accountable...Maybe civil court proceedings could be the route to follow, but I guess you'd need witnesses (and the cyclist of course!)

But please don't tar all cyclists with the same brush. Some of us do try and ride safetly, but with our roads and the idiots on them, it's not always easy!

So if you see a cyclist, give them a bit of room....It might even be me! (y)

I don't think I would have swerved tbh. I am aware of cyclist's and do allow them room as I do motorcyclists but if any one of them did something stupid.... hey that's their problem IMO.

You've lost out and incurred cost due to someone else's stupidity / ignorence. Ironic thing is if you did hit him you'd have been better off :rolleyes:

Back