Swerved to avoid a cyslist, allot of damaged caused, best course of action?

Currently reading:
Swerved to avoid a cyslist, allot of damaged caused, best course of action?

Hi all, basically, swerved to avoid a cyclist that ran a red this morning, and hit a curb, thread on it in stilo section:
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/274233-swerved-avoid-cyslist-look-what-happened.html

There was some talk a few years back of a "money pot" that pays out for un-insured drivers causing incidents...i was going to use it when a black corsa KO'd my MK1 punto two years ago and drove off, didnt catch the plates...but left it too long, damage only cost £150 to fix with parts from scrappie, so didnt worry about it....

but i fear this is going to cost a hell of allot more....any advice?

I think you're going to have to either claim & lose some NCB unless it's protected, or take it on the chin & pay out of your pocket..

I'm afraid you will have to have witnesses.....if you stand any chance at all on recouping money from cyclist, even then, no insurance for cyclist, so it would be a case of small claims court, or sue, if the sum is going to be quite high.

I guess you can insure anything Ben, but here in UK the Government are anti car & pro cycle... there was even rumours a while back that any incident involving a cyclist would be deemed the car drivers fault... :eek:

i heard the same ffoxy...

unfortunately as the gov. an ins. companies are anti-young driver...i can only afford TPFT so no claim possible...and not possible to protect my NCB anyway :( sucks to be young!

my dad has offered me a loan as a "buffer" to sort it all out...dont like taking things like that, but looks like this time ill have to :(

There were witnesses...but no-one stopped...so looks like its pay through the nose for someone else's mistake....

I guess you can insure anything Ben, but here in UK the Government are anti car & pro cycle... there was even rumours a while back that any incident involving a cyclist would be deemed the car drivers fault... :eek:
Ah, like the Thai style. Little vehicle always wins, regardless of fault. (unless you're a foreigner of course, then you lose whatever ... lol)

if there were cameras you could get the footage and take him to a small claims court but your not gonna find him now :(

edit:

what did the police say about this?

Last edited:
nope, no statement, nothing....tbh they were a bit sh*t...i asked if they had any tools with them (PCSO arrived first, i asked them) response was "were not allowed tools", can yo sort the traffic flow? "were not allowed to interfere with traffic flow"....wtf can they do??? only when the real plod arrived did they block the junction and control the traffic...

indeed it is...especially after shelling out for a gearbox 3 days ago!

yep he did...i dunno where i stand, but it was all a bit poorly handled....as is most of my dealings with the police, i wouldn't have called them if i didn't NEED them to control the traffic flow to stop another car driving up my arse...

Last edited:
PCSO's are not aloud to do anything but be looked at as far as im aware

i was in colchester once think it was around christmas time and someone passed out and had a fit right in the middle of the high street the PCSO's couldn't even administer first aid

me and some other guy did instead they tried to stop us though

suppose they're just there to show "police presence"....

they kept saying "its best to leave the traffic to its self, they will sort themselves out"....i some how doubt it when my car was blocking a main artery for ANYONE going from wood green or bounds green going to ally-pally or haringey....

i ended up as a trffic controlelr for 40 odd mins b4 real police arrived, PCSO wouldn't even park there car to with lights on as a "warning" (n)

Last edited:
Back