Technical Sudden loss of power steering

Currently reading:
Technical Sudden loss of power steering

Hi

I have been plagued with engine warning light issues for over a year, but never experienced any actual engine performance issues - it has ALWAYS run extremely smoothly. The Fuel injection light system is permanently on now, and has been for a month, but I have disregarded it as every time I take it in to the garage they charge me £50-£100 quid to reset it and repair something tiny.

But on Saturday, I undertook a 550 mile round trip to Cornwall, and going on the A30 up and down long slopes, I suddenly lost power steeing after a sudden change from downhill to uphill. To me its as if it happened when the car suddenly gets crushed down for a second due to the sudden change from downhill to uphill. That sounds silly but it may be an indicator of whats wrong. It was heavy driving without power steering for the last 50 miles, and tough on roundabouts.

Then when I restarted the engine to come home, all was fine again.

To me its as if this is some power lead that needs replacing, or some sort of loose connection, why would it "only" happen on hills?

Last edited:
you really need to find another garage if they cant fix your dashboard light problem
plugging code readers in and clearing a code is a thiefs way of earning a living
as for power steering it is a strange one but i would certainly be checking all the big red cables from alternator to starter to battery
then check the earth cable from battery as these used to go suspect

you really need to find another garage if they cant fix your dashboard light problem
plugging code readers in and clearing a code is a thiefs way of earning a living
as for power steering it is a strange one but i would certainly be checking all the big red cables from alternator to starter to battery
then check the earth cable from battery as these used to go suspect

Thank you, yeah had earth cable from battery changed last year as a suggestion to this.
Have printed off all the pages of advice on Power Steering warning light and EOBD warning light.

Back