Technical Strut top nuts

Currently reading:
Technical Strut top nuts

Regarding whether something needs to be replaced or not, especially on a larger project like deciding what to renew when a front road spring breaks or a top mount goes "scrunchy". If money is not a consideration then it's nice to just renew all the parts that are likely to have any wear - and it has to be said the car usually feels great first time you get behind the wheel!

Unfortunately Mrs J always seems to have much more important things to spend the money on so my car fixing exploits nearly always have financial constraints. Consequently I tend to take it all apart and examine the parts carefully. If I only find one drop link worn then I'll just replace the one. Same goes for track rod ends and bottom ball joints. I would always renew something which, if it failed, would entail stripping a lot of other parts to reach it - for instance if I was doing springs and found a top mount needing doing, I'd always do the other one too. Same goes for anything which might upset the balance of the vehicle so springs, bottom arms, shock absorbers and the like I'd always do both sides. I'm sure you get the idea. By the way, because of the Panda's liking for pulling to the one side I would always change both front arms at the same time and only fit arms from the same manufacturer/brand to eliminate the possibility of exacerbating the pulling problem.

Regarding the rear bushes in the front arms, which are known to wear quite quickly, I've always fancied trying some of these performance orientated products: https://www.driftworks.com/powerflex-bushes-for-fiat-panda-2003-2012-panda-2wd-2003-2012.html However the prices frighten me a bit. Interesting that they seem to offer "offset" bushes and bolts which would seem to allow for caster and camber adjustment. Unfortunately I don't see an option which would address our rear axle alignment problems.

Yeah, I mostly replaced the parts as a fun learning project :) It did become a slightly harsh ride over time, plus the droplinks caused the classic clunking when going over small bumps. Those are all sorted now :)

And it helps that the GP is very cheap to work on. Most bigger parts are in the 50 +/- something range :cool:

Back