General Struggle to get in all gears especially 1 and 2

Currently reading:
General Struggle to get in all gears especially 1 and 2

Ronnie1234

I’ve got a 2009 1.4 grande punto and it goes in all gears perfectly fine with the engine off. However, when the engine is on it is practically impossible to get it into first or second gear so having to start the car in gear to get anywhere. Also, when in first or second with clutch pedal fully pressed the car rolls forward as if the clutch pedal wasn’t being pressed at all. A rattling noise also comes from the clutxh/gearbox when clutch pedal is pressed. Can anyone offer any advice on what is wrong? Thanks

I suppose that it’s easier to get to gear 3 or 4, but more difficult to get to gear 1, 2 or 5. I have had that issue before 3-4 years. In my case it was the vertical transmission shift cable that was causing the issues. I replaced it and after that it worked fine.
I think that your car is having the same issue and needs the vertical transmission shift cable to be replaced with a new one.

I suppose that it’s easier to get to gear 3 or 4, but more difficult to get to gear 1, 2 or 5. I have had that issue before 3-4 years. In my case it was the vertical transmission shift cable that was causing the issues. I replaced it and after that it worked fine.
I think that your car is having the same issue and needs the vertical transmission shift cable to be replaced with a new one.
Didn’t think it would be gearbox related seen as it goes in gear when engines off?

Didn’t think it would be gearbox related seen as it goes in gear when engines off?
In my case whenever I turned off the engine it was going in a gear without any problem. The problem with the vertical transmission shift cable manifests only when the engine is turned on.

In my case whenever I turned off the engine it was going in a gear without any problem. The problem with the vertical transmission shift cable manifests only when the engine is turned on.

We had the same problem with a 2019 Ford Fiesta Zetec (13,000) just recently, terrifying actually trying to drive it, the clutch was burned out due to oil contamination, cost £440 to replace the clutch and we got rid of the car straight away after as Ford does seem to have issues with their gearboxes and clutches but anyway we had the same issues as the OP, practically impossible to get the car into first or second or reverse gear with the engine running we had to stop the car (not easy sometimes as it kept rolling forward) put it into second and start the engine and drive off but approaching traffic lights was difficult, I drove the car to the garage for about two miles in second gear and tried not to stop at traffic lights.

So, you're looking for a help on the forum...
But you "must" question the very first valid answer/tip given.
OK...

PS
Besides cables, there is also potential problem in the gear selector (one on the gearbox), spring pin (4 mm) can crack or creep out of the hole. Engine/gearbox mounts are important too (they can spoil the other mechanisms if bad, worn/fatigued rubber).

Back