Technical Second and Reverse Gears Grinding and not Engaging in Fiat Grande Punto

Currently reading:
Technical Second and Reverse Gears Grinding and not Engaging in Fiat Grande Punto

AbarthMarco

Hello, everyone! Being directly...

I am from Brazil, and I've got a 2008 Fiat Grande Punto HLX 1.8 that had been abandoned for about 2 years, in addition to staying in a flood, the GM engine was rebuilt and the gearbox was reused, but I believe it has been water damaged, anyways.

At the beginning, shifting gears were pretty bad, but recently I fixed the shifter, everything was fine, but even with that, second gear grinds when trying to shift and not engage and the reverse gear is also very difficult to engage, and when it engages, it escapes.

Is there a problem with the gearbox itself, or with the shifter? Because the 1st, 3rd, 4th (surprisingly works) and the 5th gears engage without any problem, and only the 2nd and the reverse have this grind and engage problem, anyone have experienced this or have any idea, tip or solution for this?

* illustrative image *
2008_Fiat_Grande_Punto.JPG

Hi, I’m no mechanic but the problem sounds internal. Possibly they gears u mention are worn enough to slip but hold in other gears.

It’s doubtful to be the clutch as you say you can get other gears and change up and down just not hold certain ones.

Inspect the gear linkages under the car beneath the gear stick area-also on top of the gearbox you will have the other ends- Rods with ball joints.

Good luck

Back