Technical Strange starter motor issue

Currently reading:
Technical Strange starter motor issue

duxster

Hi all

I have strange starter motor / solenoid issue that I thought I would run passed the experts before I go and buy a replacement starter.

My MJ starts fine when the engine is cold/cool. Even on those very cold mornings over the winter when thick ice was on screen. Problem is when the engine is hot and been driven for a while if you turn it off and then try and restart it the starter is dead. All the lights come on as normal on the dash but nothing when you turn it over, not even a click from the solenoid.

I first thought it may be the battery so replaced it with a brand new Bosch battery but still the same. I also checked all the earth straps, battery connections and cable to solenoid and all tight.

I am guessing it's the solenoid but any ideas? Strange how it's only when the engine is hot. If I leave it on the drive for an hour to cool it starts like normal. :bang:

The car bump starts ok but a pain should I need to stop for diesel on route etc!

Any ideas?
Cheers
Rob

I had an identical problem on a Punto MJ. Had to replace starter motor in the end, and that wasnt cheap!

Thanks. It's a very strange problem. If there was a problem with the starter or solenoid you would think it would be worse when starting from cold...

Anyone any idea what the cause may be?

Cheers
Rob

You would think so. First time it happened to me, I couldnt get it to start and called the breakdown service. By the time he turned up, it had cooled down and started first turn of the key! Felt rather foolish!

Similar situation here but luckily I was on a slope so could bump it. So frustrating. My car normally only goes from home to work with no stops so don't know how long it has been faulty. Problem is now I know I am worried should I stall the engine.

Just got a price of £95+vat for a Bosch so not too bad as I will fit it myself. Could be worse!

New starter fitted and appears to have solved the problem.

Not difficult job but as others have said the top mounting bolt is a sod to get to but the small mirror and torch suggestion worked a treat. Had to modify the small wire connection slightly as they appear to have altered the fitting but simple to do.

Thanks for the help, great forum....:D:D:D:D:D

Rob

Back