Technical Panda throttle / accelerator issue (cable?)

Currently reading:
Technical Panda throttle / accelerator issue (cable?)

zippeyrude

Ive noticed that the first part of pressing the accelerator pedal doesnt do anything to the revs / engine. After, perhaps, a centimetre of pedal, the car revs increase (as the should).

I initially thought the car (2005 4x4 1.2 petrol) was rally slow, but im finding that there seems to be a slack area in terms of pedal response.

Could this ve a throttle cable issue, where it can be tightened perhaps - or the throttle adjusted somehow?

Or does the panda have electronic wizardry and an electronic throttle position sensor?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Might not have a cable depends on the year and the engine fitted. I have a 2004 Dynamic 1200 8 valve which is cable operated but later models were ( Fly by wire) which is an aeronautical term but used frequently in the automotive industry

Flyby wire normally

Throttle bodies on the 4x4 are unique and hard to come by

Before jumping I think we need some data

Throttle opening and throttle pedal can plotted on a scan tool

Does it rev okay in neutral

Flyby wire normally

Throttle bodies on the 4x4 are unique and hard to come by

Before jumping I think we need some data

Throttle opening and throttle pedal can plotted on a scan tool

Does it rev okay in neutral
The revving is fine I'm both neutral and in gear. Just the first part, say one centimetre, doesn't seem to do anything. No change in revs.

Only when accelerator is pressed more than this does the engine rev.

The revving is fine I'm both neutral and in gear. Just the first part, say one centimetre, doesn't seem to do anything. No change in revs.

Only when accelerator is pressed more than this does the engine rev.
So it revs normally

I have not got my car here at the moment. But 10mm sounds about right

I have never measured how much free movement there is, there a bit as you can gently tap the pedal to the radio without the revs rising. 10mm was the normal amount of freeplay on older car cars

ive 3 pandas (including this one), the other 2 are 'normal', this one has excessive play on the pedal - i checked again and its probably over an inch. The feel is definitely wrong on this.

I checked and there is no cable, its all electronic. So i need to check Throttle position readings with MECUscan etc.

Im wondering if there is a motor fault or pedal position sensor issue? Or any play.

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_133603.jpg
    IMG_20240103_133603.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240103_133547.jpg
    IMG_20240103_133547.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
It's gone from 10mm to 25mm

The throttle body has feedback it can't be wrong and not flag an engine error

If it was faulty it would be very hard to find a replacement almost impossible

The pedal is a standard 46800473 so easily replaced

It may be fitted with two, three or four nuts as Fiat saw fit on the assembly line

You may not need a new one. The throttle pedal can be calibrates via software, I don't know if it can be done with MultiEcuScan or not

First thing to do would be to scan the live data, it will not go from 0-100 as you would expect and depends what software is used torque I think max out in the 70% range

It's gone from 10mm to 25mm

The throttle body has feedback it can't be wrong and not flag an engine error

If it was faulty it would be very hard to find a replacement almost impossible

The pedal is a standard 46800473 so easily replaced

It may be fitted with two, three or four nuts as Fiat saw fit on the assembly line

You may not need a new one. The throttle pedal can be calibrates via software, I don't know if it can be done with MultiEcuScan or not

First thing to do would be to scan the live data, it will not go from 0-100 as you would expect and depends what software is used torque I think max out in the 70% range
Yeah 10mm was an underestimate.

I scanned with a basic odb reader, no error codes but I couldn't read throttle position, no option

I'll need to dig out mecus

A £5 Bluetooth elm327 and Torque lite or
Car scanner work fine for this on an android phone

IPhones need a different dongle so slightly. More expensive

If one of your other cars is flyby wire you could always just swap the pedals over

The nuts are on a long stud so you need a long reach socket,

A £5 Bluetooth elm327 and Torque lite or
Car scanner work fine for this on an android phone

IPhones need a different dongle so slightly. More expensive

If one of your other cars is flyby wire you could always just swap the pedals over

The nuts are on a long stud so you need a long reach socket,
I've one of the blue bluetooth dongles, with torque pro android app. It didn't give me tps option.

I'll need to check the other pandas...

I've one of the blue bluetooth dongles, with torque pro android app. It didn't give me tps option.

I'll need to check the other pandas...
Using a
Screenshot_20240103_213023.jpg

And Torque a couple of days ago on a flyby wire panda, to read throttle pedal while driving

Screenshot_20240103_213619.jpg

Not got the car here at the moment but this is what I was reading while driving

F/T fuel trim is useful and missing from multiecuscan, as you accrlerate it goes slightly positive and coast negative but stay roughly towards the bottom

Back