Technical Gear cable problem

Currently reading:
Technical Gear cable problem

Tylermca1988

Think I've found the culprit. Does this need replaced. Its popped off. Photo attached. Tia

Attachments

• 20240223_110639.jpg
    20240223_110639.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
Once they fall off its likely to repeat

The ball and socket is still connected

And it's the back of the cable that has broken and fallen off

I guess you could wire brush both halfs and epoxy them together, it would likely out last the cable,

But at 06 the cable is likely to be coming to the end of its life, common failure point

I would probably bodge it to get me by, but be looking to replacing it long-term , but it's up to you

Looking at the amount of oil lost, I suspect the selector shaft oil seal is leaking

No big deal

But worth checking how much oil is left in the gearbox, low oil will cause problems long term

Last edited:
Once they fall off its likely to repeat

The ball and socket is still connected

And it's the back of the cable that has broken and fallen off

I guess you could wire brush both halfs and epoxy them together, it would likely out last the cable,

But at 06 the cable is likely to be coming to the end of its life, common failure point

I would probably bodge it to get me by, but be looking to replacing it long-term , but it's up to you

Looking at the amount of oil lost, I suspect the selector shaft oil seal is leaking

No big deal

But worth checking how much oil is left in the gearbox, low oil will cause problems long term
Just epoxied it 🤣

My door mirror
Rear mirror
cylinder head and block
Are all held together with original slow cure JB weld epoxy
temp2.jpg

Has to be clean
Has to be rough

I replaced the cables on my 05 with some post 2012 second hand ones
It's a bit of a faf though as the rubber grommet is different, the bracket on the gearbox and gearstick

If you buy secondhand and stick to pre 2012 is pretty straightforward but you do need to get under the middle of the car

I use to use araldite 2 part epoxy, always a bit hit and miss, some things I didn't work on, sometimes didn't set, probably just me

Last edited:
My door mirror
Rear mirror
cylinder head and block
Are all held together with original slow cure JB weld epoxy
View attachment 438915

Has to be clean
Has to be rough

I replaced the cables on my 05 with some post 2012 second hand ones
It's a bit of a faf though as the rubber grommet is different, the bracket on the gearbox and gearstick

If you buy secondhand and stick to pre 2012 is pretty straightforward but you do need to get under the middle of the car

I use to use araldite 2 part epoxy, always a bit hit and miss, some things I didn't work on, sometimes didn't set, probably me
JB Weld it. Bloody good stuff!!

Back