General Stop and Start started

Currently reading:
General Stop and Start started

This may not be very interesting but it's a rare event... so I'm going to post it anyway. :D

The Younger Mrs S' Rasputin is a2013 spec' 1.2 Pop with S&S.

The S&S always Starts the car when I stall it (Yes, I know, I know... but <insert excuses> the clutch engages a fair bit higher compared to my Stilo.. :eek: ) but only once or twice did it ever Stop the engine, at traffic lights etc.

Then just before Christmas and New Year, we left it on the Elder Mrs S' drive, just so we had some space... and the beast was sat there three weeks without being used at all. So I charged the battery for a whole day before we used it again.. and it was fine.. but the S&S still didn't Stop the engine.

This weekend, I was poking around. It looks like there is what I assume is a battery condition sensor (Magneti Marelli) on top of a metal alloy plate that is connected to the car's wiring on one side and the negative post on the battery at the other.

Then there is a thick "post" bolted to the plate, onto which is clamped the earth lead.

I figured that any resistance between the alloy plate and the earth lead could interfere with the battery condition sensor... so I took the earth lead off the post (it has a red release button) and cleaned up the post with some wire wool.

Then I unbolted the post from the plate (a 13mm nut) and cleaned the two mating surfaces.

Apart from I lost all the date/time settings in the dash display... :D this made absolutely no immediate difference... but when I went for a drive later on and the car had properly warmed up, I pulled up at some lights and all of a sudden the S&S stopped the engine. :eek:

I dunno if I did anything or if it's just haunted/coincidence... but I drove the car all last week and it didn't Stop, although it did Start... and after cleaning the contacts (which were dry and clean.. maybe just a bit tarnished) the S&S is back working perfectly.

It immediately got on my t$ts... Stopping in the traffic.. :D but on the other hand, it's working again, so maybe worth a go if yours is also a bit moody.

Ralf S.

Back