Technical Stolen MK2 ECU...Help with model number please

Currently reading:
Technical Stolen MK2 ECU...Help with model number please

Lancsandy

Hi all,

After a search of the Mk2/2B threads, i can not see that anyone has already asked this question.

My car is a 2003 Punto Active Sport 1.2 8v (with the bigger headlights so I'm guessing a 2B?).

Some low life decided to break into my car by jacking the bonnet up and ripping the air filter box of the steal the ECU. They cut the wiring loom instead of disconnecting the blocks which is doubly frustrating. I still cannot believe they did it as from my searches i can see the ecu is useless without the keys etc.

My main problem is not the wiring loom as I will buy a second hand loom and cut the blocks off and wire them in (assuming colours match :/). I do not know the model number of the ECU that was on the car. Is there any way to know i.e M2 M3 or P3?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out with this and Fiat are not being helpful at all!

oh dear... not good....

The wiring loom - it'd probably be easier to get a donor vehicles loom, so no dodgey wiring, it would be alot easier!

As for which one you need - all i can suggest is either A parts routlet - which id avoid
or b - ask fiat to see if they'll tell you

Since they ripped airbox off, did they damage the inlet manifold as well? as its mount bracket is on there

Ziggy

Thanks for the reply!

No they don't seem to have damaged the manifold which is fortunate. They have made a right mess of the box and wiring loom though! I rang a Fiat main dealer and they basically wouldn't give me a part number without me paying for an inspection by a mechanic + tow charge etc...not a chance!

I can see me having fun with this!

Thanks for the reply!

No they don't seem to have damaged the manifold which is fortunate. They have made a right mess of the box and wiring loom though! I rang a Fiat main dealer and they basically wouldn't give me a part number without me paying for an inspection by a mechanic + tow charge etc...not a chance!

I can see me having fun with this!

Airbox is cheap - and easy todo! Just remember to stick a new filter in there

The wiring loom is honestly best off been replaced, i really think it is, it ensure that the correct wires to the correct pin on the ECU, otherwise it could prove.... fun with uncurable errors....

Just make sure you get the correct one
Ie, it comes off a car with 2 lambda's and a phase(cam) sensor, otherwise the ECU again wont be happy

ziggy

Cheers :)

Do you know how difficult it is to replace the entire loom? i.e does it route back into the bulkhead or is it all inside the engine bay?

Im not sure my car has 2 Lambda. When i replaced the exhaust system last year i only saw one but i am a novice so probably missed something obvious.

Cheers :)

Do you know how difficult it is to replace the entire loom? i.e does it route back into the bulkhead or is it all inside the engine bay?

Im not sure my car has 2 Lambda. When i replaced the exhaust system last year i only saw one but i am a novice so probably missed something obvious.

Is your cars headlight like mine in the signiture for bumblebee? Got a reg of **53 ***
If so then its a Mk2b

And tbh i'd be surprised if it had a single

One is on the above the cat
1 is after the car under the engine pretty much
Plus on the Cam belt cover area there is a little sensor onto there

Changing the loom shouldnt be too hard, it' dont go through bulkhead, it has a big multi-connector to the Enginebay fuse box, which means its all enginebay work to change it over
Some connectors like Temperature and knock sensor will be a swine to make them sit right but totally worth it!

Ziggy

2nd one this week then
its probably had a 1aw 5af p3 on it
these are a fortune
i would suggest you get a full engine loom too this all goes to the underbonnet fuse box but make sure the loom is abs or non abs as the two dont twain

you really want to consider having the insurance write this off

m2=1 lambda
m3 =2 lambda

Attachments

• 31468933_9X.JPG
    31468933_9X.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 31468933_AX.JPG
    31468933_AX.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 53
Surly been a mk2b tho s and b that it'd have twin lambda's as well? as its got the better emission control setup?

My question - why are they knicking them? Cant surly be getting anything from them?

They wont work in any other car....>

Make me wanna go and make a note of my ECU number now just in case it happens!

Ziggy

Blimey i cant believe its happened to someone else. They have cut the wiring in exactly the same way as well. Thanks a lot for the pictures. I would like to avoid going through the insurance as it will cost me in the long run through loosing no claims :/ I have seen P3 ecus for 100 on ebay that claim to be flashed so might try this route with a full wiring loom.

Out of interest did they break a window or just undo the bonnet catch on the one in the pics? Mine was undone at the bonnet without any real damage :/ it had only been parked 20mins max so someone must have followed me.

Surly been a mk2b tho s and b that it'd have twin lambda's as well? as its got the better emission control setup?

My question - why are they knicking them? Cant surly be getting anything from them?

They wont work in any other car....>

Make me wanna go and make a note of my ECU number now just in case it happens!

Ziggy

they are £100 minimum on ebay so its an easy life to virginise them and sell them on ,no fingerprints etc
this one had bonnet cable pulled too

Is your cars headlight like mine in the signiture for bumblebee? Got a reg of **53 ***
If so then its a Mk2b

And tbh i'd be surprised if it had a single

One is on the above the cat
1 is after the car under the engine pretty much
Plus on the Cam belt cover area there is a little sensor onto there

Changing the loom shouldnt be too hard, it' dont go through bulkhead, it has a big multi-connector to the Enginebay fuse box, which means its all enginebay work to change it over
Some connectors like Temperature and knock sensor will be a swine to make them sit right but totally worth it!

Ziggy

Yes mine is like yours and the same year. Do you have abs? So the knock and temp sensors stay in place its just a case of disconnecting and reconnecting? Thanks a lot for the help! Just checked and it is 2 Lambdas in place you said.
Thanks a lot for the help.

Hi all,

After a search of the Mk2/2B threads, i can not see that anyone has already asked this question.

My car is a 2003 Punto Active Sport 1.2 8v (with the bigger headlights so I'm guessing a 2B?).

Some low life decided to break into my car by jacking the bonnet up and ripping the air filter box of the steal the ECU. They cut the wiring loom instead of disconnecting the blocks which is doubly frustrating. I still cannot believe they did it as from my searches i can see the ecu is useless without the keys etc.

My main problem is not the wiring loom as I will buy a second hand loom and cut the blocks off and wire them in (assuming colours match :/). I do not know the model number of the ECU that was on the car. Is there any way to know i.e M2 M3 or P3?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out with this and Fiat are not being helpful at all!

u left the hood open?

Yes mine is like yours and the same year. Do you have abs? So the knock and temp sensors stay in place its just a case of disconnecting and reconnecting? Thanks a lot for the help! Just checked and it is 2 Lambdas in place you said.
Thanks a lot for the help.

All the sensors / injectors stay put, you aint moving them, its the quick release connectors that you are removing my friend :)

Ziggy

u left the hood open?
No - his hood was opened by the weakness of a punto :(

Most cars can be opened in same way,

its not weakness, its just theiving scum that shouid go and buy there own ecu,

(To the thieves out there, touch mine and iwill do time for you, !);)

I'm thinking drastic like a cable lock though the bonnet hook and round something solid on the body ... seriously though there is a lot of space at the front of the engine towards the release cable. The office i work in has an engineering shop below, might see if the welders could fabricate some aluminium or stainless plate to fit from the scrap pile for an undertray ;)

All the sensors / injectors stay put, you aint moving them, its the quick release connectors that you are removing my friend

Cheers buddy, i will order a loom off Ebay when i see the right one and get connecting.

I'm thinking drastic like a cable lock though the bonnet hook and round something solid on the body ... seriously though there is a lot of space at the front of the engine towards the release cable. The office i work in has an engineering shop below, might see if the welders could fabricate some aluminium or stainless plate to fit from the scrap pile for an undertray ;)

Cheers buddy, i will order a loom off Ebay when i see the right one and get connecting.

thats quite good, just steal the parts u need off other cars

Back