Technical Steering and other dash lights

Currently reading:
Technical Steering and other dash lights

Hi, new to site and panda....2005 1.1 Active 64K. Bought last week 6 month warranty so will be calling dealer tomorrow. But in meantime out of interest.

Steering light on, although power steering seems to be fine...very light...lighter still when citi engaged. Thoughts/advice greatly appreciated

Headlight light on dash does not come on (maybe just bulb/led)

Also lack of aux/cigar lighter socket...my car does have the connector under the centre console though no power registering on volt metre. There is no fuse in engine compartment....fuse socket only has metal contact on one side so cant simply plug a fuse in.

Is there any way of getting power to the connector under the console so a factory aux socket can be installed?

Again thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

J

If the steering lights on, chances are the batteries on the way out.

Is for installing a 12V auxiliary, there is a marvellous guide on this forum somewhere...

Thanks Matt.

Battery looks brand new. Not a mark on it, not even on the disposal instructions still taped to side. Mind you he did have to stick booster on it when I took it a test drive

Just been reading through guides on socket. Left me wondering if anyone has had a panda with fuse in place and no socket fitted :eek:

Could be tempted to lift carpet and run power directly to centre console, though I agree with comments that its a stupid place for it and dafter still to have omitted it in first place.

Power steering lights are often due to battery issues, like low voltage. Check it out with the dealer but it will probably be nothing to worry about, but might need a new battery at some point.

Unfortunately no fuse means no easy socket. There is a fusebox by the drivers knee, however, and I think there are a few spare slots, maybe even one on the ignition line. If you wanted to do it properly, it's not that much work to take out the gear stick surround and the hump beneath, as well as the handbrake trim to wire it in to the existing socket location by going underneath the carpet - I ran the cables for my sub through there. The socket is easy to get hold of! Check Ebay for the cheapest one.

Cheers Josh.

I had a quick look at those fuses but I couldn't see any empty slots that had the metal connectors to plug a fuse into. Mind you I'm not quite sure how I'd do that anyway :) I might just go with the glove box solution. Will consider all my options at weekend when I've more time and some daylight to get my head around it.

I'll check battery tomorrow and phone dealer regardless of my findings.

If you do a search for "piggy back fuse connector" you'll find the easiest way to power the socket,as long as you keep the load light this work fine.

Thanks guys, will check piggy back out...and just to prove a point I'll maybe hardwire the biggest multi socket/function adaptor the wee shelf above the stereo can hold:D

Just a quick update. Battery showing 13.85v with engine running lights on, stereo on, heater on, rear window heater on... and showing 13.3v with engine etc switched off. Hardly seems like a battery issue to me. Booked in for tomorrow morning with dealer.

according to dealer its the power steering sensor. just hope that isnt an early sign of the punto/panda steering rack failure i've just been watching!!!

according to dealer its the power steering sensor. just hope that isnt an early sign of the punto/panda steering rack failure i've just been watching!!!

There is no Panda steering rack failure, so not sure what your on about there. Same for the Punto, just the EPS motor which is part of the column. This is where the sensors are located also, so if they're sure a sensor has failed it'll be this part the need to change complete.

I was refering to the article about people needing to change the steering column :eek: when the power steering failed and Fiat's complete denial of there being a manufacturing issue. Was a clip from some consumer programme, I came across online. But I assume as my power steering is working, it's only the sensor that needs replaced.

Have no faith in the car yet, nor any love for it, but I must say compared to my coop its a pleasure to drive round town.

But I assume as my power steering is working, it's only the sensor that needs replaced.

The sensor is built into the steering column; the complete column must be removed, either remanufactured or replaced, then refitted. Expect to pay £500-£1000 for this. It may or may not be covered by your 6 month used car warranty, you'll need to check the small print.

It's a common, well-known and well-documented issue; anyone running a Panda past 50k miles would be advised to budget for the cost of this repair when buying or deciding to keep the car, though there have been failures at much lower mileages. It's possible the previous owner may have had intermittent warning light issues and decided to get rid because of this specific problem.

If the unit is remanufactured to 'better-than-new' quality, it should then last the life of the car. OEM replacements will likely need replacing again after another 50k miles.

Just out of interest, how much did you pay for the car?

Last edited:
Car was bought last week from a very large main dealership with multiple sites and franchises. I haven't seen any warranty documents. But was told car was sold with 6 months warranty. Theres no way on earth I'll be paying a penny no matter what they say is covered under warranty. I picked car up on Monday. Drove it home. It sat there until Wednesday before I drove it again. (So hard to park up the coop!) Noticed light was on. Phoned them Thursday and told them it was under warranty. They booked it in this morning (next day)and told me sensor was gone. If it's a £1000 fix they didn't mention anything to me about cost when they informed me they'd call me when part arrived.

4 little words for them if they do try and charge me...Sale Of Goods Act.

4 little words for them if they do try and charge me...Sale Of Goods Act.

Yes, given the circumstances I'd say you have every right to reject it as unfit for purpose if they won't fix it.

I'm beginning to think there are two kinds of Panda EPS units; those that have failed, and those that are going to :mad:.

Last edited:
Considering I paid £2200 for it theres no way I'm paying a penny more. To be honest my daughter would be over the moon if I got the chance to hand it back to them with a full refund. She hates it...but there's only so many times you can say "I'm not paying £3900 to put you on the coops insurance as a learner" ...first words out of her mouth "ugliest car ever" closely followed by "You need to buy an air freshener, it stinks of old people!"

It's a common, well-known and well-documented issue; anyone running a Panda past 50k miles would be advised to budget for the cost of this repair when buying or deciding to keep the car,

I strongly disagree with this. Not going to deny that they have been known to fail, but the percentage is very small in comparison to the numbers out there, and as such cannot really be referred to as a common problem IMO. Mileage is also very irrelivent IMO and to say it should be expected on any car over 50k and factored into running costs is also very poor recommendation.

On top of this, 80% - 90% of supposed failures are actually battery / charging issues and not the EPS system at all.

I agree with MEP. It's a known issue but not a common one and I too suspect the vast majority are replaced when they just need a new battery or the existing one needs charging. Their computer says fault so they replace without any questions asked.

MEP, popshot - Yes, on reading what I posted I was being a bit harsh on the poor old Panda!

In truth you could probably say something similar about any car that's 7yrs old & done 50k+ miles - not necessarily EPS, but with any car at that sort of age & mileage, there's always the possibility of an unexpected large bill!

The comment about some EPS units being needlessly replaced because of a failing battery is well made and it's always my first suspect on any car more than a couple of years old that's displaying erratic electrical faults - modern cars are sometimes very fussy about everything being up to spec. on the electrical front. I've just fixed a merc that kept displaying a bulb failure light when the light was working, simply because the owner had replaced it with an aftermarket bulb. The bulb was labelled as being the correct wattage but obviously was sufficiently out of tolerance to upset the chossy german.

That said, EPS failure on Pandas due to a failing torque sensor is a well known fault which is by no means unusual and I wanted to give the OP some ammunition & moral support for their next meeting with the garage who sold it to their daughter.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys. From my perspective it doesn't matter how common or uncommon the fault is. Or indeed what it costs to fix, as I'll not be paying for it. If the dealership starts getting difficult I'll happily take them to court. Well not happily (it's such a hassle) but that's where they'll find themselves.

I find it hard to believe that garages would still be changing the whole unit simply because a poor battery was throwing up an error. Surely by now the trade would be well aware that issue.

Quick question as no one has replied to my dent wizard post...do any of you guys know if the access behind the front wing of the panda makes it impossible for the likes of dent wizard to pop the dent back out...personally I think he's talking the proverbial...but would appreciate your thoughts.

Many Thanks J

Back