Technical Starting Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Starting Problem

Keith OHara

Yesterday I got into the car after a 1/2 hour journey and the car would not start. Turn the ignition and the red lights would click out totally 'dead'. I called recovery who started the car with their battery. The mechanic checked the battery and said it was in good condition and it was being charged normally with the engine running.
Later in the day it did this again and by accident, by holding the ignition key on for several seconds the engine turned and started. Perhaps this is what the mechanic had done?
I got up this morning thinking the car would probably not start, but it did so as normal, although I still have the engine 'missing' for several seconds after starting, a problem I posted a couple of weeks ago. I have changed the plugs and leads since then but the 'missing' problem still exists.
Any ideas?

Sounds like your starter motor or it's solenoid is knackered if the car won't start on a good battery.
Try bump-starting it WITHOUT trying the starter first: just turn on the ignition but not all the way to "start", then get a couple of people to push the car while you hold down the clutch in 3rd gear, and release it once you're doing about 10mph. If the engine fires up then the problem lies with the starter motor. Maybe it's pinion is worn and jams against the flywheel gear, or the solenoid could be stuck/shorting. Hope this helps.

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin
<font color="orange">1994 Punto 55SX, metallic red, small, Italian and beautiful! </font id="orange">

Is the term 'missing' short for misfiring? I've not heard that one b4. If so I recon it could be a problem with one of the coils. I had a very similar problem recently. Now runs without a hitch.

Back