Technical speedo and power steeering fault?

Currently reading:
Technical speedo and power steeering fault?

sportyjay

:confused: hiya has anybody had a intermittant fault with there city steering and speedo ?.mine seems to stop and start working every so often and confusing me,any help would be great.cheers all j

2 faults probably related

The Powersteering works off the Speedo Unit on the back of the gearbox

If the speedo sensor fails the steering Unit doesn't know how much assist it needs to input

So as a result the PS switchs off - as to play it safe

Since the speedo Unit also Shows you how fast your going
I'm going to say its the speedo sensor sounds to be at fault

best way to confirm is to get the FiatEcuScan witha Cable - get the fault code read

I think the fault code is po500 something like that
I have a speedo sensor error stored in my ecu too - i know why my ps played up lol

Ziggy

This probably explains why an ABS error on the HGT will also affect the steering as the ABS wheel inputs are used to calculate the speed.

This probably explains why an ABS error on the HGT will also affect the steering as the ABS wheel inputs are used to calculate the speed.

dont the HGT have a Speedo Sensor too then?
Or does it run purly off the ABS sensors?

would have thought u'd need a speedo sensor so the car knows how fast and the abs can confirm it - and if there not the same/within tollerance, then surly traction aint there?

I know some Abs system use like a Tiny Teeth which a sensor watchs, when brakes are applied it see's if the teeth stop moving - and activates the abs

Ziggy

Last edited:
HGT has fully pulsed ABS an all wheels. those with drums dont pulse the rears.
The HGT speedo averages the four wheel signals.

Back