Space-saving wheels dont actually save space!

Currently reading:
Space-saving wheels dont actually save space!

Citroen DS had the best idea. It could be driven with one rear wheel removed.

Apparently Rolls Royce licensed the suspension system back then from the DS because they couldn’t find a better way. I doubt this is the case today with all the computer tech. But interesting history!

As well as the story of the French leader back then being shot at in a DS and being able to flee with flat tyres for miles because of how the suspension worked :D

Ah - ok - thanks

I have all the tools but they're in a bag in the boot - goodness knows what happened to the original round thing for the tools to sit in. :confused:

It's a good job I didnt get round to cutting the threads down on the screw-down clamp! :eek::D

I nearly did that today..

Wanted to remove the spare..to swap it

Big plastic thumb.nut

Was stiff.. then clicking..

It was rusted in..and the plastic was riding over the Hex of its central bolt

'I know.. I will just..'

Use the screwdriver to pack out the hex..and turn the assembly

Screwdriver was phillips end out..and stuck..so no flat blade

I got out an array of sockets

The 17mm single hex was an ok fit

And it undid..a bit squeaky... but out

So lessond learned.. lubricate the thread.. and wipe the screwdriver too.. the flat and was red.rusty

The rust was holding it tight

Glad this was outside my residence.. not on the M4 hard shoulder :)

I peeked under the car.. expecting to see a rusty blob of thread poking through the wheel well

But its all inside.. perfectly hidden by wheel and toolkit

Thankfully.. the 17mm hex of the wheel brace would also undo this plastic thumbnut..at a push

Attachments

• 20200924_091637.jpg
    20200924_091637.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
This annoyed me on my Cross so I got the insert etc from a breakers and the wheel is now the correct way up with everything apart from the jack in the correct place.
If I remember correctly I had to modify the insert to fit something, possibly the tow point adapter is longer on the Cross ?
As the Cross has bigger diameter wheels there is a gap around the insert so I used it to store some jump leads.

I found the so called space-saver spare very useful on the 100HP so it's stayed in the car. I hit debris on the M5 and took out two tyres. One pumped up enough to get me home but the other was flat in a couple of miles.
I have been happy with Puncturesafe tyre goo in bikes and other cars but it did not suit the 100HP. Saying that I put it in the buckled alloy wheels before I knew they were damaged. It seems to aggravate any sort of rim run-out.

The Citroen suspension got a name for poor reliability but my BX was just fine. I think the real issue was corrosion. If the hydraulic pipes were not rusty then the floor above would be and the pipes got in the way for repairs.

I loved the BX finger light steering and soon got used to the sensitive brake pedal, that was actually just a valve to let pressure into the brakes. So simple. The BX was a long car but oddly hardly put any power into the rear brakes. My rear discs corroded quite badly from lack of use. The old hand brake trick was no help because it worked on the front axle.

Depends on the car.

In my punto I got a standard size tyre fitted onto a space saver rim..because all 5 were actually the same size.

Couldn't do that on either of our current cars as the space saver is both narrower and smaller diameter than the actual wheels.

So tldr..they don't save space if you have small wheels, if you've got anything bigger than about 16in and 6.5 J then they allow you not to have 50% of your boot filled with wheel.

Definitely preferable to squirty cans as well..

Last edited:
I had a full size spare with the Multipla. Well, I think I did. The f-king thread rusted years ago and the one time I had a puncture I couldn't get the spare wheel cage off anyway!

My 2013 Panda 4x4 came with goo and a pump, first thing I did was buy a 15” Fiat space saver, because the standard 15” wheel won’t fit in the hole , I also bought a Fiat toolkit including the jack complete with insert, it does stand about 10mm proud of the boot floor so I cut some high density foam to fit round the insert to make the boot floor level also bought what I call a “ lady bar” with 2 sockets that fit 4 nut sizes, the bar is about 450mm closed but extends to almost a meter.

You just answered you own question. Yes its an integral part of the crash strength. Oh deers........ that arguments blown as a lot just have Pollies Styrene and a defective air pump. I have the short bolt thing from a Panda 100HP. I also cut a bit of ply to sit over my clutter that just sits inside the wheel rim to provide a boot floor over the wheel. it works well. A proper 14" wheel will fit in the well so you could always get a proper spare. Its on my agenda to visit our local breakers and get a matching alloy. The space savers are a pain and the grip provided is appalling especially on a wet surface. How they can be declared fit, proper or safe is well beyond me. We have a tyre on our 1.2 space saver that is rounded like a wheel barrow tyre. Never used yet thank heavens. God alone knows how bad it would be. Actually some wheels are domes and need padding under if inverted as you suggest. I cut up the Pollies Styrene and made wedges that hold it steady and prevent rattles. Re Paddynabbs... use lots of copper grease on the thread.

Last edited:
The spare in the Panda is a space saver, still looking brand new, despite being dated Dec 2005. Probably hard and inflexible, but never used. Nice to know it is there.

Had to use one, around 2001 I think, on my then Seicento. Had to drive home, and back to work next day, and around to a tyre shop at lunchtime, around 45 miles total. Not a pleasant experience. Originally placed on the front, frightening, as the two front wheels were no longer a team, like a bent supermarket trolley. Not so much understeer, as no steer. At home, swapped it to the rear, where it just brought on oversteer, which at least was manageable. Different effect right or left of course. The legal limit of 50mph is for brave (or stupid) souls, in straight lines only. Peak traffic was a boon, keeping everything slow. Better than sitting at a roadside stranded.

I've got 4 wheels with winter tyres, so could I suppose just have five all-seasons, but with the spare having little use, would have to keep moving them around to even out the wear, which might be difficult as many all-seasons are directional.

Fabia came with a pot of goo, bought a full-size spare. Necessary with a learner car, as learners have a tendency to tear the sidewalls out on kerbs. A pot of goo may struggle with that.

Back