Something going on tonight!

Currently reading:
Something going on tonight!

On my way home tonight I saw three unmarked police cars "haulin' ass" down the A50. The unusual thing was they weren't your usual police motors. There was a smallish white van I think it was a Toyota with blacked out windows, a VW Tiguan and a Passat. I was thinking up all sorts of exciting scenarios to do with the anti-terror arrests today and convinced myself the white van was full of SWAT officers etc.

The thing that made me laugh though was the number of idiots who managed not to notice them and not pulling over to let them past....

When you are driving along and see a blue light in the mirrors from a long way back and you start to plan the best time and place to get out of the way, and they come past you, and then you watch the vehicles in front that are just completely oblivious and stay in the way - it does make you wonder just how much attention these drivers are giving to the actual driving. Of course with recent very tragic events we know the answer:
many of them will be on Facebook or watching a film or in such a deep telephone conversation that they have switched off.
I don't care what anybody says, driving on the roads is not an opportunity for so-called multi-tasking, it is a full-time job!
I was on a very busy urban dual carriageway near me recently. 40 mph limit, 3 lane-wide traffic light junction with Gatso cameras etc. Trafic waiting to turn right, pedestrian crossings etc. As many potential hazards as you could imagine. I am inside lane, and a woman in the middle lane actually went across the junction whilst looking in the mirror and applying lipstick at about 45mph. Aaaargh!

Totally right.

The numpties really do think (no, I know thinking is totally beyond them) that driving is like putting on makeup, or Facebooking. In other words, something to be done while doing something else.

On the same subject, why do they think that having singly-dangly S***e hanging from their rear view mirrors is an aid to clear foreward visibility?

Tw@ts. Total tw@ts...

Last edited:
Totally right.

The numpties really do think (no, I know thinking is totally beyond them) that driving is like putting on makeup, or Facebooking. In other words, something to be done while doing something else.

On the same subject, why do they think that having singly-dangly S***e hanging from their rear view mirrors is an aid to clear foreward visibility?

Tw@ts. Total tw@ts...

Religious artefacts hanging from the rear view mirror
Sat Nav stick smack in the driver's eye line
Cuddly teddy bears
The last 2 years worth of pay and display stickers stuck on the driver's side window.
What is wrong with these people?
I will tell you what is wrong - it is the driving test. It's too blo*dy easy.
If you had to be able to demonstrate a complete awareness of circumstances then you would not have any time or place for this superfluous hanging tat.
On the subject of paying undivided attention - anybody on here taken the IAM driving test? For those that haven't it involved (when I took it 40 years ago) the examiner asking at random - "what was the last road sign that we passed?" That was a belter for keeping you on your toes.
I know this well because I failed on that. I was asked I think 10 in the hour and a half test and I got 6 right. He said if I had got 7 he would have passed me. I could have throttled him when we stopped, but I kept quiet and smiled - through gritted teeth. Then I went home and slept solidly for an hour.
That's what real concentration does to you when you are not fully used to it.

I'm not sure about the driving test being too easy. At work we are reviewing the hazard perception videos as part of "health and safety". None of us of a certian age are getting any where near passing! I can't get my head around the videos at all! I think it's more to do with my definition of a hazard is completely different to the test.

Back