General Some idiot crashed into my door while I was parked

Currently reading:
General Some idiot crashed into my door while I was parked

inebriated

Was out and about today, parked in a small carpark and made a phone call, some idiot came flying back in his transit van and smashed into my drivers door before driving off at warp speed.

The damage was pretty catastropic prob because it was a transit and the whole center part of the door is caved in badlly top to bottom.

I got his reg and did a check on askMID and surprise surprise he has no insurance...grrrrrrrrrrr

Now im left with a predicament, I can either drive around and live with it or get it repaired.

My question is, what is the best way to get this repaired? and how much do you think roughly it would be for a bodyshop to fix, it will need respraying for sure.

I was thinking of just looking out for a replacement door on ebay and fitting that instead, how difficult is it to remove and fit a complete door including electrics, etc...?

Kind Regards
Andy

I have seen doors for 50 quid with electrics. AskMid is not 100% up to date as not all insurance companies update things instantly. Mr Transit may have a new policy so still report this to the police.

You have been involved in a collision.
You have been unable to exchange details with the other driver as he has failed to stop - an offence.
YOU must report this to the police, as soon as possible, at latest within 24 hours.

Go to the police station and report it.

Thanks Guys, yes I have reported it to the police and filled out a statement just need to drop it in the station.

Funny thing is the place where it happened and the other drive just left from have his name and address, so im fairly confident the police will be able to solve it.

Fingers crossed he does have insurance but im not getting my hopes up.

Ive just been looking ebay at doors and ye about £50 isnt too bad at all, how difficult are they to fit do you think? or is it a bodyshop job?

Kind Regards
Andrew

To be honest I have never looked on the stilo but most other cars its just held on by six bolts. Three on each hinge you should be able to see when you open the door. Undo the wires first then its a case of taking the door card off to swap the lock. Better with two people but should only take around an hour unless Fiat deliberately make things awkward. You 100% sure its just the door and the pillar between the front and back never took a hit. That can kill a car.

Thanks I will take a look, fingers crossed can go down the insurance route I want him to pay for the damage and get it done properly, failing that i may consider having a crack myself.

Thankfully its just the door, missed the pillar by about a 18inches, if its safe to drive I might just keep an eye out for a door in my colour (red) and it should be a cheapish fix hopefully.

Am I right in thinking there are airbag sensors in the door?
I have an airbag on the side of my seat which im assuming is for side impacts.
Not sure where the sensors are though.

Im paranoid about driving down the road and have an airbag explode in my face.

Cheers
Andy

Panel damage shouldnt write a working car off, the car was stationary and there is no structure damage.
But knowing what insurance companys are like and depending the age of the car they may well do so.
Last year our 3 week old to us (2006) pug 407 got hit in the rear by a bmw (59 plate), the damage on our car was all the bumper and associated gear - damage 1.6k, the bmw which was younger was a total loss??!!

Insurance companies are fickle, get a quote from a body shop then if the insurance totals it buy the car back and get it fixed if its economical to do so.

Back