Solicitors complaint

Currently reading:
Solicitors complaint

angel

Mrs arseofbox
Could anyone help me with a bit of advice as who to complain to in a Solicitors practice about poor service?

I went in to start divorce proceedings 4/5 weeks ago now and despite numerous telephone calls have been told that my details are not on their computer system and no-one has yet called me back about what is happening.

When I first went in for my appointment I was seen by 2 people as others were being called to court unexpectedly. So their initial service was not particularly good, but put it down to them just being busy and part of their jobs.

Have no problem in writing the complaint letter, just wondering who to actually address it to?

I guess i've got to complain to the Practice themselves prior to that and if get no joy then make my complaint higher.

Thanks for link tho(y)

a lot of these places are turning into chop shops, get the punters in and out asap, claim for legal aid to cover costs and damn the service.

been at court this week where a firm that has had 4 months to prep it's defence hadnt done a single shred of work for it's client, the company principle was hauled in over the coals by the magistrates and roasted. i would have found it funny if it wasnt for the fact the defendant was on trial for assaulting me, and got himself a free adjournment in the intrests of justice

turboned said:
a lot of these places are turning into chop shops, get the punters in and out asap, claim for legal aid to cover costs and damn the service.

been at court this week where a firm that has had 4 months to prep it's defence hadnt done a single shred of work for it's client, the company principle was hauled in over the coals by the magistrates and roasted. i would have found it funny if it wasnt for the fact the defendant was on trial for assaulting me, and got himself a free adjournment in the intrests of justice

Well I know mine is probably at the bottom of the queue as i'm on legal aid, but a bit more service must be too much to ask. Not a pleasant situation to be in getting divorced and now ex isnt believing i've actually been so stress caused already.

As for your case, that's just sods law aint it, hope it gets sorted soon for you :eek:

Good luck sorting it out. Mine came through just before christmas. Took ages cos the ex was a complete barsteward about everything.

I would seriously consider trying to find a practice which deals specifically with divorce. The solicitor I used was a complete knob. I ended up with nothing.

minislapper said:
Good luck sorting it out. Mine came through just before christmas. Took ages cos the ex was a complete barsteward about everything.

I would seriously consider trying to find a practice which deals specifically with divorce. The solicitor I used was a complete knob. I ended up with nothing.

Glad your's sorted, horrible to go thru but a necessity.

Well the practice I have gone thru has a couple of Sols who specifically deal in divorce, but there aren't many around that actually deal with legal aid in divorce cases as it does pay them.

We separated amicably with all money separated and dealt with and no house to sell or anything. So in theory should be really easy and simple, ex agrees with divorce so should be pretty quick in goin thru.

:bang:

Alan.D said:
Didn't think you could get legal aid for a divorce settlement ?

I am a single mum now on benefits, therefore entitled to legal aid. I believe that they are stopping it in the future though.

fiatangel said:
I am a single mum now on benefits, therefore entitled to legal aid. I believe that they are stopping it in the future though.

What? So if the innocent party is a single parent with young children and cant therefore work he/she has to put up and shut up? Thats so unjust its a joke!(n)
If your divorce is ammicable and everything has already been split so that both parties are happy why bother with a solicitor?Cant you file for it in the county courts yourself?:confused:
My divorce was quite the opposite, my solicitor tried to serve papers 4x but she wouldnt sign. 12 Months later i had a bailiff at my door, asked me if i was me, then said he had papers to serve on me.When he told me they were divorce papers i couldnt get em out of his hand and sign i,d been served em quick enough! He told me that in 15yrs of serving divorce papers he had never seen someone so happy and obliging to recieve em LOL:D :D

MATT 68 said:
What? So if the innocent party is a single parent with young children and cant therefore work he/she has to put up and shut up? Thats so unjust its a joke!(n)
If your divorce is ammicable and everything has already been split so that both parties are happy why bother with a solicitor?Cant you file for it in the county courts yourself?:confused:
My divorce was quite the opposite, my solicitor tried to serve papers 4x but she wouldnt sign. 12 Months later i had a bailiff at my door, asked me if i was me, then said he had papers to serve on me.When he told me they were divorce papers i couldnt get em out of his hand and sign i,d been served em quick enough! He told me that in 15yrs of serving divorce papers he had never seen someone so happy and obliging to recieve em LOL:D :D

I bet you couldnt wait to sign them then lol.

We have thought about doin it ourselves i.e. getting the paperwork and filing it ourselves, but to be honest as there is a child involved I want access sorted out as its very lax atm i.e. he sees her when he has time and there arent any other more pressing things for him to do, therefore not giving me a very good social life. But i'm her mum foremost so that doesnt bother me.

If I dont get any joy at complaining, I will have to try and get another practice sorted.

fixitagaintomorrow said:
The legal aid thing ain't free though, they don't just pay it and forget all about it. You can end up with an 'attachment' on the settlement payment.

We have no money or estate involvement whatsoever, luckily.

Access is a different matter to divorce, its totally separate. All that goes on in a divorce such as yours (ammicable/nothing to split) are the decree nisi papers are on public showing for so long then if nothing unforseen is said or done in that time that is passed.You then have to wait a month i think till the decree absolute goes through, you dont even have to attend i think(I did just to make sure it happened).
LOL:D i bet everyone whos never been divorced thinks "God, thats simple!" only trouble is, it never happens the way it should!

MATT 68 said:
Access is a different matter to divorce, its totally separate. All that goes on in a divorce such as yours (ammicable/nothing to split) are the decree nisi papers are on public showing for so long then if nothing unforseen is said or done in that time that is passed.You then have to wait a month i think till the decree absolute goes through, you dont even have to attend i think(I did just to make sure it happened).
LOL:D i bet everyone whos never been divorced thinks "God, thats simple!" only trouble is, it never happens the way it should!

Yes I know they are completely separate, managed to discuss that at initial time of visit. Just want it settled in one bundle if you know what I mean.

If only it was that simple, which in my case it really should be. :bang:

MATT 68 said:

...and it costs a bloody fortune.

Back