Any Solicitors on the Forum?

Currently reading:
Any Solicitors on the Forum?

Do we have any Solicitors on the forum?

I need some advice with regards to my dad's mental health.

He has Bipolar disorder and short term memory loss, amongst other illnesses and requires 24 hour care. He has been living in a care home within Liverpool, for the past eight years, where they manage his health and well being very well. As far as the family are concerned he is in the best possible place.

But here's where i need some advice:

Liverpool City council are wanting to move him on to another home because of his age, he is now 74, and he does not meet the criteria of the home, in that they normally don't have residents past 65, though the home are willing to keep him, they enjoy having him around and manage him really well.

It costs over £1000 per week to keep, but this is because of the nursing element and the four hours one to one car given to him each day.

Because of the costs Social services are also saying it is costing too much to keep him here, yet if they moved him to another home it wouldn't cost much less to be honest, as they found out themselves when looking in to other care homes in the area.

Sneakily, his Social worker went to head office to find out how much money he has in his bank account, and it just so happened that the home were being audited at the time, so were more than willing to provide her with this information - i didn't even know how much he has in savings myself, but this shows just how uninterested in the money i am.

He also has a sum of money saved up, which has accumulated from him not being able to fully spend his pension, but now Social Services want him to part fund his own care. I told Social Services that i am not willing to sign nor agree to anything with regards to his funding.

They are saying that the amount of money is over the criteria you are allowed to have to receive full funding, yet they have fully funded his caring up to now without so much as a whisper.

At the moment my dad's money is managed fully by the home, which is the way it has been since he has lived there, and we don't really want to manage his money or have to take charge of it, unless of course there is no other option.

Basically, we need to speak to a solicitor to talk about appealing this decision and to also talk about the managing of his money so that Social Services do not force him to part fund his own care.

His funding will stop from August 10th.

Any other advice welcomed (y)

you need to get proper legal advice on such matters
worth approaching CAB and help the aged for advice

fact is in this current climate you simply will not be getting people in costly care while sitting on £X savings/assets

howeer as to the levels/legalities of these I have no idea

funny you should mention this, couple of hours ago i was talking to my dad about his dad who died a few years ago, also disabled in a wheelchair (polio)

his care was paid for by the state, he had money in the bank too which he gave to my dad as it was for him anyway, if he hadn't have done that his savings would have paid for the care home.

now they know how much your father has you might be a bit stuck.

i know that probably wasn't much help but i thought i'd tell you anyway, obviously CAB is the way to go.

funny you should mention this, couple of hours ago i was talking to my dad about his dad who died a few years ago, also disabled in a wheelchair (polio)

his care was paid for by the state, he had money in the bank too which he gave to my dad as it was for him anyway, if he hadn't have done that his savings would have paid for the care home.

now they know how much your father has you might be a bit stuck.

i know that probably wasn't much help but i thought i'd tell you anyway, obviously CAB is the way to go.

they would look into his financial history
deprivation of capital(i think thats the term)

... the home are willing to keep him, they enjoy having him around ...

It appears the CC are funding his `care’ home costs at £1K per week – when perhaps they take-the-view he should be in a `nursing’ home (at £x per week?). Consider - the care home may well be a tad upset at the prospect of losing your dad … &/or the £1K per week.

I am a deputy appointed by the Court of Protection for a relative in a care home. This amounts to looking after her finances - & (in my case) does not include her health issues. Basically she was placed into care by the CC – although the family were consulted on where the placement was to be. The CC funded the placement - on the understanding that this would be recovered from her own funds, when I was authorised to have access by the CoP.

Given she had funds of £23,250+ then she was caught for all her care costs. I’m invoiced on a monthly basis – around £1.7K per month. This will continue until such time as her funds come within the range £23,250 to £14,250 (?) – when she will be caught for 50% (?). But will pay no contribution when her funds drop below £14,250 (?). (Not absolutely sure on figures – so please check).

I’m not a solicitor. I went to Law School but took the commercial law route. At a recent care home meeting, I believe (wasn’t listening too intently) it was put forward that Help-the-Aged could advise &/or point to a `best value’ solicitor.

Let us know how you get on.

--------------
My sis used to take-off on a cruise every year and never mind the timing of the booking there was always the same `old dear’ on-board with her nurse. Clearly she was a permanent resident on a cruise ship – perhaps the `smart move’ given the alternative.

Big thanks to everyone for your help and input so far.

Liverpool City council are saying he no longer meets the eligibility criteria due to a change in his condition and also his age.

The only way in which he has changed, is that he has become less physically violent, but this could be due to the medication he is taking, and also his age, in that he has slowed down.

Presently he receives continuing health care because of his needs, in that he has Bipolar disorder, violent outbursts, other ailments and requires round the clock care and receives medication to control his condition.

I phoned Age UK, who were brilliant, the service the offer is second to none, and it's all free. They said this needs to be challenged as far as they are concerned, his condition is not really better, nor is it any worse, obviously apart from the fact that he is less physically violent. They are putting me in touch with a case worker, who can help with all the paper work involved, and hopefully help challenge this decision.

I think if they [Social Services] get their own way he would probably end up in a residential care home, which would mean no nursing input, which would be really bad for him, but a move of any sort would be bad for him, as he relies on familiarization.

@Caravadossi - you're spot on with the funding side of things, this is what AGE UK told me too - thanks (y)

About ten years ago he had to move homes, as the one he was in could no longer cope with his violent outbursts, and the place burnt to the ground after a resident set fire to the place, so he went to a residential care home in Liverpool. They were not able to deal with his condition either, so he ended up in Mosley Hill Mental Health hospital, which was an awful place for anyone to be, but the consultant referred him to the home where he is now.

Back