General so many problems... so little time :(

Currently reading:
General so many problems... so little time :(

madjellyfish

hey everyone!

Am really in need of some advice... am currently having a nightmare time trying to get my punto sorted... I'm currently in wranglings with the garage i bought it from as I have only owned it a little over a month and have found:

oil leak
gearbox oil leak
rocker gasket leak
tyre needed replacing as was just above legal tread
bonnet catch wire broke
very poor windscreen wipers
radio turns itself off every 20 mins...

what i would like to know is are any of these problems common? I really need to decided whether to argue for repair or refund instead as I don't want to be stuck with a pile of ... !!

Anyone's comments more than welcome

thanks!

Tyre is wear and tear
My rocker cover has been leaking months, i replaced the gasket! Didn't work! I'v taken it to 3 different people and they all have no idea!
Gear oil leak is a pain.
Radio will turn itself off after 20 mins witout the engine running!
and my wipers always been bad! :p
Nothing majorreally wrong with it
if it's decent otherwise i'd say go for it!

Could just be wrong wiring or something come loose?
Ino it turns itself off wen the engine isn't running as a safety incase you forget to turn it off. So sounds like it just doesn't realise engine is off!
If that makes sense

It sounds like someone has changed the wiring for a different HU then refitted the original when selling without sorting the wiring.

I'd be giving them 7 days to sort everything or you want your money back.

UK law requires the car to be of 'acceptable quality'. Clearly a car pissing oil is not acceptable.

The other things may be regarded as wear and tear.

Cheers

SPD

gearbox oil leak- I have a slight leak in my gearbox, nothing majour yet
rocker gasket leak- i used red hermatite to seal mine and its been fine up to now
tyre needed replacing as was just above legal tread- as said- wear and tear
very poor windscreen wipers- change wiper blades, this is another general wear and tear part
radio turns itself off every 20 mins- is it standard? overheating? check the wiring at the back although if it comes back on, id say its a faulty head unit

I'd ask them to replace the bonnet catch wire and to sort the radio.

Everything else is probably fair game..... you bought it and there is nothing mechanically wrong with the car.....

To be honest you could fix nearly all the problems yourself.... Don't be too upset :bang:

thanks for all the advice so far guys...

the main issue I am having with the garage is that they said they serviced it and they MOT'd it before I took it away which was included in the deal.. so yes tyre is wear and tear but should have been an advisory... which the car had no advisories according to this garage... but good tips with the gasket and radio thanks :)

When the ignition is off, the radio is designed to turn itself off after 20 minutes (some go for longer & some are programmable), to save the battery being flattened.

Yours will be turning itself off because it has been wired directly to permanent live circuit, so thinks it running with the ignition off.

You need to get it sorted because some radios can still flatten the battery (though more slowly) if not wired correctly. Also, the radio should automatically turn off and back on again when you start the car. This protects the radio from electric surges caused by the starter. Without this protection the radio can be damaged by electrical noise from the starter.

Back