Technical Slow picking up

Currently reading:
Technical Slow picking up

l33rsk

Fiat panda 1.2 dynamic 2005
1 owner from new it’s done 34000 miles and been serviced regularly it seams to tick over a bit uneven and there is a bit of a flat spot when picking up speed I’ve also noticed it doesn’t seam to like hills I’ve had it plugged into a cheap diagnostic and have noticed short term fuel trims are around -70% and long term are -100% does anyone know why this could be please? The car has also had little use over the past 12 months. Many thanks.

Hi :)

Have you ruled out stale fuel and a nest in the airbox?
I’ve been using it regularly for a bout 2 months now so it’s had plenty of fresh fuel and also redex treatment in the tank the air filter is still white and clean but how would a bird get in there with the air filter in the way?

I’ve been using it regularly for a bout 2 months now so it’s had plenty of fresh fuel and also redex treatment in the tank the air filter is still white and clean but how would a bird get in there with the air filter in the way?

Mouse nest in the airbox.. common with parked campers :(

But youve used it enough to probably rule that out.. :)

Are you Sure the fuel trims are in the minus
Yes definitely the short term fluctuates between 60 and 75 definitely in the minus and the long term 100% minus this is on idle. When you increase and hold revs they do decrease but it’s not a lot.

I’d start by pulling the MAP sensor. It’s only one bolt

Sometimes a drop of oil on the top mess up the fueling
Ok thanks will do it’s on the side of the throttle body is that correct?

If your in front of the car

Left side of the black inlet manifold

You don’t have to undo the airbox to reach it

It’s a TX bolt but I can’t remember the size
That’s great I will pop it off tomorrow and give it a clean. Thanks for your time.

Yes definitely the short term fluctuates between 60 and 75 definitely in the minus and the long term 100% minus this is on idle. When you increase and hold revs they do decrease but it’s not a lot.
That great there’s quite a few possibilities

We need to try and narrow it down as much as possible

It’s saying it too rich let cut some fuel hence the minus

If you have the ability to read live data

these cars having two O2 sensors. It’s very unlikely both go faulty at the same time

By checking both at idle and 2k revs you can confirm or eliminate a problem with one of them.

By inspecting the 4 plugs you can tell if one of the injectors is leaking.

Slightly concerned it could be a blocked CAT unlikely so going to ignore for the time being and do the simple free and easier tests first

Are you Sure the fuel trims are in the minus
Slightly concerned it could be a blocked CAT unlikely so going to ignore for the time being and do the simple free and easier tests first
Ok thanks again I’m hoping to get some more info today I will clean map sensor 1st then look at live data for the upper & lower o2 sensors as suggested.

Ok thanks again I’m hoping to get some more info today I will clean map sensor 1st then look at live data for the upper & lower o2 sensors as suggested.
That great

Assuming the scan data is correct and the engine was warm. We already know it’s not the usual culprits

Low compression misfire
Ignition misfire HT or coil pack
Injector misfire

Will all dump unused air (O2) into the exhaust which is seen by the first O2 sensor

The computer will react by add extra fuel by increasing the fuel trims

It’s hard to tell from rolling numbers

I believe your scan tool also does graphing

Must be telling us something as after you rev the car the post CAT drops to 0V as normal but raises and holds at 0.8V Rich mines rises to 0.2V

Here’s mine. Although this is a 2010 eco I would expect them to be similar. Yours seems to peg at rich for more time. Part way down this page

It’s hard to tell from rolling numbers

I believe your scan tool also does graphing

Must be telling us something as after you rev the car the post CAT drops to 0V as normal but raises and holds at 0.8V Rich mines rises to 0.2V

Here’s mine. Although this is a 2010 eco I would expect them to be similar. Yours seems to peg at rich for more time. Part way down this page
Is it worth me cleaning the map sensor? I’ve found where it is it’s on the right hand side when standing in front of the car not the left as I was told.

Back