Technical Gearstick centering a bit slow

Currently reading:
Technical Gearstick centering a bit slow

zippeyrude

The gear selection itself is fine, but the gear lever is slightly sticky to come back to the center / neutral position from the left (1st / 2nd gear) or right ( 5th / reverse) position.

Any ideas?

Is this a cable issue or a selector stick issue?

(Hoping it's not a box issue !)

Thanks!

Almost certainly the cable

Look here for diagnosing and changing

I had the same thing on my 2012+ Panda, look in that model in the Guides section for the same problem and you will find a whole "how to" guide. If the Mk3 and 4 have similar gearbox then almost certainly that. "That" being not cable but an easy fix of sticky bushing needing lubrication.

I had the same thing on my 2012+ Panda, look in that model in the Guides section for the same problem and you will find a whole "how to" guide. If the Mk3 and 4 have similar gearbox then almost certainly that. "That" being not cable but an easy fix of sticky bushing needing lubrication.
What bushing?
Under the gearstick or at the gearbox end?

Most of the 319 gearboxes look similar to the 169

However this type

s-l1600 (1).jpg

With this backet
IMG_20231205_093900.jpg

I can only see fitted to the later 319 post 2012 diesel

Looks very similar to the 5 speed Abarth gearbox which can take much more torque 150nm vs 206nm

Looks to me like the post 2012 diesel got an upgrade

Most of the 319 gearboxes look similar to the 169

However this type

View attachment 434340
With this backet
View attachment 434339

I can only see fitted to the later 319 post 2012 diesel

Looks very similar to the 5 speed Abarth gearbox which can take much more torque 150nm vs 206nm

Looks to me like the post 2012 diesel got an upgrade
Would you happen to have a photo of the selector for the 169 model?

Defo cables, I changed mine and it transformed the gearchange. I changed them myself (thanks to the excellent support on here) and it wasnt too difficult (I'm no mechanic)

the top selector cable does the left to right. I took a scotch brite pad and rubbed the very light corrosion from it and then added some copper grease from a spray can. the pressure from the can makes sure it lubes the inside of the outer cable. after that it works fine again.

Back