Technical Lost Gears after backing off the Drive.

Currently reading:
Technical Lost Gears after backing off the Drive.

NorthernRob

Hi Everyone. I jumped in my 2011 1.2 (169) Panda this eve after its been sat on the drive for 6 days. Started up fine and backed off the drive, went to select first and there was a ping noise possibly and I couldn't select first. I managed to find second and crawl back onto the drive but now the gearstick is completely limp and I can only select second and possibly third, its not possible to push left or right to get first. Any ideas ? Cars just passed 88k. Thanks everyone.

Here's the cables @varesecrazy is talking about

IMG_20231102_232052.jpg

The bottom right selects one of the four groups, left to right

1 and 2
3 and 4
Reverse

Upper cable select the up or down position

Here's me testing the up and down selection

You need to check the other lever bottom right on the drawing

With the top lever in above drawing and in the video, vertical (neutral position)

Try and move the bottom right lever, you should also see the gearstick move left to right

If it moves at the gearbox but stiff with the gear lever the problem likely to be the cable

It's not uncommon for the cables to get rusty, sometimes you can temporarily fix it by getting some oil down the gearbox end of the cable Do not use grease

Last edited:
My cars not here at the moment for me to test (2011, 1.2)

Without undoing anything I can only just get my arm in as per video above

I suspect to test the other lever the battery and its tray will have to come out

Many thanks for the info its been a massive help !!
Ok so I did at bit more investigating at lunch time. In a nutshell the cable furthest away seem to be the culprit highlighted below
I could push it too and fro and the gearstick would respond, but when i got back in the car it gave way and limp again.
1699016771685.png

I disconnected it at the gearshift ball joint end, and as you can see its just pulled out !! so am i right in assuming its completed snapped ! ???

1699016891417.png

1699016917727.png

Many thanks again :)

Yes 👍 you have found the fault

Be careful ordering the cables

Post 2012 don't fit as a straight swap

It's easier to fit them as a pair, there's a grommet melted around them at the middle,

The ends are different sizes so only fit one way, no need to mark anything up

There's been a few different type used over the years

With or without bellows
With adjusters on one, both or none
Blue, green, black, yellow or cream connectors
Push on or clip release
And different combinations of the above possibly more

If buying second hand as far as I know all pre 2012 will fit

The ones I have seen fail have had the bellows on the gearbox side but it's only a very small sample size so would be my least preferred if ordering S/H

It's quite a quick job, but the car needs to be in the air, I used a set of ramps

Dear Koalar, Thanks for the confirmation, i'll attempt on the removing the cables over the weekend.
My Panda is a very late 169, Date of Reg January 2012.
Quite a few cable replacements from cars being sold on ebay, or would you recommend fitting brand new cables ?

So im assuming remove the push in clips on both ends and ball joint fittings and then the grommet melted that enters the cabin.

Thanks again.,

I've spent a couple of hours over the weekend on the Panda, the cables are removed inside and that big grommet is now loose so i just need to disconnect now at the gearbox end. I noticed these C, Type push clips that look pretty stubborn, whats the best way to get the off ? from below ? with what tool ?
Thanks again everyone

1699204508373.png

It was such a none event, I don't really don't remeber and I taken a few off including one less than 6 months ago

I suspect I used a large screwdriver and tapped the clip round so the lip is facing away from me and then tapped it off

It seems to ring vague bells

IMG_20231106_083940.png

My cars not here at the moment for me to test (2011, 1.2)

Without undoing anything I can only just get my arm in as per video above

I suspect to test the other lever the battery and its tray will have to come out
I did this. The battery and tray have to come out.

I did this. The battery and tray have to come out.
It's tight I just mange to force my arm in, but it's not nice

It might be different on the 500

2nd, 4th and reverse

Are all the down gears

Assuming there's no grinding noises

Without undoing the cables

If you can move the lever in the video and there is a nice clunk each way, the problem is the selector cable

It's a strange system there isn't enough movement at the gear lever end, instead uses a counter weight on the gearbox end, as soon as there is too much friction in the cable, the momentum of the counterweight can't pull the cable through, one of the symptoms is difficulty in selecting either 1.3.5 or 2,4,R

On mine it would randomly not come out of first easy for the first mile or so about a year before it became a real problem

Last edited:
I read on here that greasing the cables worked

I have tried it, I can't recommend, it worked fine for the first run out, but the road dust and dirt soon sticks to it, and quickly fails again. I have not tried but both 3 in 1 and wd40 dry sticky over time

Thin sewing machine oil has worked for me, dribbled in at the gearbox end, got me by for a couple of weeks until I could source a cheap replacement

I have used engine oil thinned in meths to fix a panda door lock, that was still okay years later

Back