Technical Setting 3 on blower fan not working, and possible dud battery

Currently reading:
Technical Setting 3 on blower fan not working, and possible dud battery

shuffmuff

Setting 3 on blower fan not working, the other work 1,2 and 4, but 3 wont come on, there is no power for that setting.

also, i noticed when i closed my window, that if i kept finger on button the engine starts to idle rough, would this be a bad earth somewhere or is the battery done for?, thanks

You could try to do some research first. Blower problems are quite usual on such an old car and ways to fix it quite common. For what you said, all other speeds work then it could be the speed selector dial itself on the dashboard. I've never had any issues with that so my guess is the blower resistor thing which is quite a common fault. If the blower itself was failing, it'd fail soon with other speeds too leaving only the high speed. Also a new resistor may fail quite soon so it's money down the drain again if you don't change the blower too. I'd just keep driving it and wait for 2nd speed to fail.

Go ahead and change the earth lead, there's a guide for that too.

Last edited:
In my case the fan motor was running heavy, new resistor burn through like that. I finally bought a new fan motor with resistor and the problem was solved.

As already described if the motor is not running easy it will soon burn out the resistors. if you take the motor out with a bit of persistance and a thin stick you can get oil sufficiently near to the bearing by the fan and then at the other end there is a rubber bung that makes it easy to oil that end of the motor. I have tried several times to remove the fans to get to the bearings. You can pull them off but it always ends up bending the nylon fan.

Back