Technical Selespeed - lumpy gearchange

Currently reading:
Technical Selespeed - lumpy gearchange

pjp

I recently had the selespeed on the car throw a wobbler where it repeatedly displayed the spanner and 'Gearbox Fault'.

The local dealer took a look at it and diagnosed it as an intermittent problem with the sensor for the clutch rotation speed. They apparently stripped it, cleaned it, and rerouted the cable loom that was very tight, and it seems to have done the trick.

The interesting thing is, the gearchanges are noticeably smoother now, particularly 1st to 2nd, than it has ever been before. Anybody else experienced this ?

Paul

Stilo Abarth 3dr, Broom Yellow (Nov '03)

I'm certainly suffering from the lumpy gearchange problem, in addition to kangarooing from cold which I guess may be related.

This is my second Abarth (first one replaced due to many faults). The problem was the same on the eralier car and appears to get worse over time.

Essentially as the gearbox changes up, the clutch seems to stutter. It would be the equivalent of letting the clutch go, pushing it back and then letting it go again suddenly in a manual car.

Whatever it is, it makes the ride uncomfortable and the garage claim that there is no fault, as usual.

RRO

My gearbox had a slight shudder at aroung 15000KM, just when you went around a corner and the selespeed box selected 2nd gear.Why the computer does not select 1st gear at speeds under 15KPH I do not know. When the service was done they bled the system which fixed the slight shudder. It has now done 34000KM and is doing the same again. I will be interested if the next service will fix the problem. I will keep you posted once the 40000 KM service is done. Incidently I am not a fan of 20000K service intervals.

Lumpy gear changes - its back.

more noticable in the lower gears, very uncomfortable to drive and in some what embarassing as people look on as you pull off and the car changes up gears. last time it went in the garage found a lot of errors logged by the ECU, they cleared them and reset the system which did work but now its back. Its going in for its first service next week and again the're goona look at it again.

I know others have had this problem - has there been a solution found too this problem yet or do I just take it like a man and pretend its not there. Please let me know. My local dealer is pretty good in listening to what customers have got too say.

many thanks

Stilo Abarth, 2.4- 20v selespeed, Sassi Grey, 17" Alloys, Leather Int, Memory-Heated Seats, MultiChanger

i have done 500 miles in my selespeed and find the gearchange very smooth apart from when the engine is cold. when the engine is running on fast idle the change from 1st to 2nd is not as good. i think this is because the engine is reving at about the clutch pick up speed.

metalboot.jpg

Seems like the problem has been fixed by replacing the gearbox ECU. Clutch was slipping for a couple of days after fitting, but I put that down to some kind of adaptive bedding-in period and it seems to have sorted itself out now.

RRO

Back